What sports can you watch 2 random teams and enjoy the game | Syracusefan.com

What sports can you watch 2 random teams and enjoy the game

Alsacs

Living Legend
I am pretty young 28 I was thinking of this watching this Argentina-Holland match.

I can watch any World International Soccer match and enjoy it. Same with the NFL, college football, English Premiere League Soccer and any major golf tournament Tiger Woods is in contention for that is it.

If the NBA, college hoops, or hockey give something compelling I can watch those leagues but they aren't the same for me.

MLB is so freaking boring to me nowadays. My favorite team won the WS last year but I barely watched them last year and this year. Baseball is just horrible to me to watch and the sport IMO is just too hard to care about and its become way to regional they get no national TV numbers compared to other sports. Who in the Northeast watches the Cardinals if they are on national TV. Baseball is going to lose a lot in the future IMO as I am just not caring about it anymore espically if my team isn't on.

Agree on any international soccer. Kind of lost touch with EPL last few years. Baseball, NBA, no way. Can pretty much watch any college bball. Exceptions: , Kenturkey. Not every NFL game now that I retired from fantasy sports. Any snowboarding, skiing. Doesn't have to be a specific discipline. It's all good. Aside from that, fios 1 by me offers local high school bball and lax. Can watch either, men or women any time.

It's funny, but those same people who love baseball detest soccer because it's "boring". I've also found that people who don't like soccer are those that never played it before, so they don't understand it and choose not to. I will admit that I didn't take to the sport until HS, which is when I started playing, but they didn't have youth soccer when I grew up. Just baseball, basketball, and some hockey. Now soccer is everywhere! People who understand the tactics of the sport (any sport) and realize just how difficult it is to do what these guys do, on an elite level, truly appreciate what they are seeing. People who think soccer is is just running around and kicking a ball will never appreciate the sport. Messi is simply amazing to watch. He carries the ball on a string...with his feet. If someone can't see just how special that ability is, they'll never see the "beauty" in the game.

It's funny, but those same people who love baseball detest soccer because it's "boring". I've also found that people who don't like soccer are those that never played it before, so they don't understand it and choose not to. I will admit that I didn't take to the sport until HS, which is when I started playing, but they didn't have youth soccer when I grew up. Just baseball, basketball, and some hockey. Now soccer is everywhere! People who understand the tactics of the sport (any sport) and realize just how difficult it is to do what these guys do, on an elite level, truly appreciate what they are seeing. People who think soccer is is just running around and kicking a ball will never appreciate the sport. Messi is simply amazing to watch. He carries the ball on a string...with his feet. If someone can't see just how special that ability is, they'll never see the "beauty" in the game.
I can concede some soccer matches are boring like today. However, the lazy take is soccer has low scoring so it's boring. That is where I get frustrated all sports have their flaws I just find my love for baseball waning it's just a bore to watch 9 innings straight with so much dead time during the game for no reason. I can't watch something for 3 hours straight minimum which can be boring.

NFL, tennis and soccer.

Tennis is like a dual - you can instantly tell the style of the player from the first swing. In this day of flopping and referees, it is refreshing to see something decided only by the players with 100% clearly defined rules.

International soccer, and you'll probably find this odd, but MLS. If I come across a game on, I almost always stop and watch it. I have zero rooting interest in any particular team, but I just enjoy watching the games.

NFL is an obvious one, a lot moreso than college football for me. I never watch the NBA, and generally only watch MLB if the Nats are on. College hoops it depends on the level of play. If there's a random low level conference game on, I generally won't watch. But if it's a BCS conference game, as long as it's not, like, Northwestern vs Penn State, I will generally watch.

I guess your interest in a sport- as a sport- came be measured by your interest in watching a game in which you have no rooting interest.

I love college football Saturdays in the fall. If SU isn't at home, (in which case I'll be at the Dome), I'll sit in the living room from 10AM (Gameday) though midnight watching games, shifting back and fourth between 2-3 or even 3-4 at once. My interest in the NFL was luke-warm for years until I got NFL Red Zone. I have that on on Sunday afternoons, although I'll probably be puttering around doing various things while it's on.

In basketball it's all SU until the post season. I might rarely look at a game between top teams to see how they are doing. When I make out my NCAA sheet in the spring I haven't seen 80% of the teams play. In the NBA I'll check in on the Knicks from time to time but I really don't get into it until the semi-finals.

In baseball it's the Chiefs and the Mets until the post-season, unless somebody's threatening to break a famous record.

I thought I would become a hockey fan after the Lake Placid Olympics but it never happened. Basketball is my winter sport.

The next soccer game I will watch after this year's finals will likely be in the next World Cup and it will likely be a game the US team is playing in.

Among the individual sports, I love watching golf because golf courses look so good in high-def/wide screen. It doesn't really matter who wins or if Tiger is playing.

On the other hand a tennis court is a tennis court. And I'd rather see a golfer figure out how to get a shot around a tree than see a tennis player run to catch up with the other guy's backhand.

I can always watch a boxing match, if the participants are any good at it. I like to watch "The Sweet Science"

MMA looks like a bar-room brawl by comparison.

Horse racing and auto racing seem interesting in the spring. It's just something different.

The Olympics is fun every four years, (or, really two years). A change a pace and Go USA!

The history of almost anything is interesting. It's a series of stories with a beginning, a middle and and an end, seen in perspective. It's time-lapse photography that shows us how things came to be what they are today.

Last edited:
I guess your interest in a sport- as a sport- came be measured by your interest in watching a game in which you have no rooting interest.

I have to disagree with that. It obviously makes sense on the surface, but basketball is always going to be #1 for me, with football #2, yet I'm more likely to watch an NFL game than an NBA game, without question. Of course, that's partly due to fantasy football, but still. Maybe I'm an anomaly in that regard, though.

Baseball is the ultimate, most cerebral spectator sport, but only if you understand its myriad nuances. It's great fun to play, and almost as much fun to watch. Breaks for beer runs, snacks and the can. Can't get more civilized than that!

Soccer/futbol is a great game to play, difficult to watch most of the time, especially on TV.

Hockey is great fun to play also, but difficult to follow on the tube if you never played. Much better to watch live.

NFL is fun on TV because you can flick around all freaking Sunday and see a ton of it! Live is just more of an "outing" than it is about the football. College football is not fun if you don't "have a dog in the fight."

Track and field is pretty neat live, like a 3 ring circus, stuff happening all over; on TV, meh.

You can't give me tix to an NBA game, I'd sooner have my eyes dug out with a rusty fork. It's like seeing a gorgeous woman who turns out to be a dyke: great potential, but nothing of substance.

Just IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
I am pretty young 28 I was thinking of this watching this Argentina-Holland match.

I can watch any World International Soccer match and enjoy it. Same with the NFL, college football, English Premiere League Soccer and any major golf tournament Tiger Woods is in contention for that is it.

If the NBA, college hoops, or hockey give something compelling I can watch those leagues but they aren't the same for me.

MLB is so freaking boring to me nowadays. My favorite team won the WS last year but I barely watched them last year and this year. Baseball is just horrible to me to watch and the sport IMO is just too hard to care about and its become way to regional they get no national TV numbers compared to other sports. Who in the Northeast watches the Cardinals if they are on national TV. Baseball is going to lose a lot in the future IMO as I am just not caring about it anymore espically if my team isn't on.
I completely stopped watching baseball 2 years ago. It was like turning a switch off after years of watching (primarily Yankees).

When I was at the cuse, I spent more time in the laboratory observing stars than watching cuse hoops,, I watch Syracuse in march...

I loooovvvve college football.

1. NHL 2. Orange football/Ncaa 3. Soccer (mostly international)

To answer the question...

Hockey and ncaaf with Soccer as well (both my countries were not in it and I'm still enjoying the WC)

Last edited:
For me, it's baseball, NFL and college football and college basketball. Having not been able to really play competitive sports, baseball was always the one sport that was easiest for me to understand the strategy or have a pretty good idea what was going on out there. I've lived in a few different places in my life and my family is kind of spread out so that makes it easy for me to find a reason to watch pretty much any college football or basketball game. I'm not quite like Marsh when it comes to college basketball but I love it. I also watch a ton of NFL. I think some of that has to do with fantasy football but I still watch games even when that isn't a factor. One thing that is beginning to turn me off with football is the way so many guys risk their necks with their tackling technique. I love my life and am not bitter at all but I would think being in a wheelchair probably isn't as much fun as the alternative.

I watch the NBA playoffs but just bits and parts of regular season games. With soccer, I watch the US men and women and I also watch some Sporting KC games. I went to one game when they still played in Arrowhead and the atmosphere was dead in such a huge stadium. But in their current stadium, Sporting KC has created a really fun environment and sells their games. But I can't say that I watch random MLS games. I've never been a hockey fan. Nothing against it but my dad was never a fan so I never watched games growing up with him and never really been able to get into it. Plus I do have outside interests besides sports so I have to limit it somewhere.

International soccer. I don't care if it's Liberia vs. Micronesia, I can't get enough. College football would probably be a close second.

I can't do MLB or the NBA and lord have I tried. I finally gave the Stanley Cup Playoffs a try this year and enjoyed it, but not quite enough to make me follow the NHL season.

International soccer. I don't care if it's Liberia vs. Micronesia, I can't get enough. College football would probably be a close second.

I can't do MLB or the NBA and lord have I tried. I finally gave the Stanley Cup Playoffs a try this year and enjoyed it, but not quite enough to make me follow the NHL season.

Hockey? I got yer back, just PM me and I'll fill you in on anything you wanna know. :cool:

Today's lesson: The first rule of hockey is, "Avoid Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens fans." :p

EPL - can't wait for the Burnley v. Leceister City type action in less than a month

Thought about that but when you follow a league/team so closely there arent really games between "random" teams. Chances are you've got a rooting interest for or against a team or a player to some degree. For me that rules out EPL, NCAA football, NCAA basketball, and most international soccer matches.

That said Bundesliga, MLS, Aussie rules football, hockey (in person), rugby, and rugby 7s always grab my attention. I stumbled onto an aussie football game on espn3 and was truly mesmerized. Its american football without the 300 lb lineman, helmets/pads, huddles and constant commercial breaks. The crowds for all of those sports are intense as well.

Last edited:
I can be happy with a lot:

- I subscribe to MLS Live and usually watch 2 to 4 games per week that aren't the Red Bulls (it goes without saying just about any soccer will be on in my home if it is on the tube and the Red Bulls are soon to be swapped out for NYCFC)
- College hoops I can watch any game that's not a blow-out. You won't find me watching too many Duke - FAU games before Thanksgiving though
- NFL is almost always on Sundays

I love college football, but soooo many of the games are terrible. Luckily, there are usually a dozen games on throughout cable at any given time, so there are usually good games to catch throughout the day. You look at the best teams last year, like Alabama and FSU, and they literally only played 4 or 5 games between them that would be enjoyable to the average fan.

I also think the NBA deserves a little more credit than it gets. I don't watch a ton of random games throughout the year, but the quality of play is so unbelievably high -- I don't get why people rag on it so much.

I can't wait until baseball gets knocked out of the major American sports rotation. Most boring, un-engaging sport out there. Thank goodness my generation and younger are moving away from this antiquated garbage.

Yes, I am being overly dramatic to annoy the baseball lovers in this thread but for real, baseball is awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom