What was going on in your life the last time we were 3-0? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What was going on in your life the last time we were 3-0?

i was 9 years old. Absolutely crushing pop warner football. That was until i faced Nathaneal Hasselbeck, brother of Tim and Matt. He absolutely trucked me one game, may have set my career back. The next time i was hit that hard was Lofa Tatupu in High School. So there's that.

me and Al Gore were busy working on the internet. He had all these big ideas...me, I just wanted to find a place for all the SU fans to come and bitch about stuff.

JB's Head.jpg

I was a freshman, standing on the bleachers in the student section with the rest of the student body. And then proceeded to drink enough to make Andre the Giant proud. I think I returned to classes by Wednesday, but not positive.

September 1991.

I was in 4th grade at Morgan Road Elementary in Liverpool, NY. My favorite things included the WWF, anything related to Karate, Saved by the Bell, and I was just beginning to truly get passionate about SU sports. I remember every Friday in the Post-Standard they would have an SU football game preview showing a diagram of the starting lineups for each team, and I would cut that section out of the paper and collect them (often times before my Dad read the paper, which got me a tongue-lashing).

Holy cow. I clearly remember Pasqualoni losing an early game almost every season back in the McNabb years, but I had no idea it has been 23 years (!!!) since we started 3-0. That absolutely has to change.

In 1991, I was going to law school at night at Rutgers and working for a long distance telecomm company (remember those?) called Metromedia. The company was owned by the then-richest guy in the world, John Kluge, who also owned the Harlem Globetrotters, several restaurant chains and this long distance network, which was sold a couple years later to Bernie Ebbers and MCI/Worldcom.

Junior year @ Ithaca College living in my first apartment with my buddies. Lots of drinking, smoking weed, and Super Tecmo bowl, but unfortunately the studies suffered. GPA went below 2.0 that semester. That also was the year of IC's last DIII National championship in football, so I all in all it was a memorable fall. Luckily my mom kicked me in the behind and my grades rebounded!

I was a Junior at SU. I was in the 2nd row of the end zone for the Florida game. It was the end zone from where Kirby Dar Dar took the handoff on the reverse on the opening kickoff and took it to the house. It was a great seat because we were right in front of the Florida cheerleaders (at least for part of the game?) and they were smoking hot.

By future brother-in-law and I were sitting two rows up in the student section for the Florida game. Great time! Kirby Dar Dar ran right past us on his way to the end zone. Besides the WV game in '87, that was one of my favorites.

In Sept '91 was working for US Air. But took most of the month off for Jerry and the boys fall tour. Richfield(3 nights) > MSG(9 nights) > Boston Garden(6 nights).

Forgot the name of the sports bar over by the Boston Garden that we watched the Florida game in. It was pretty much in the basement/train station of the place. Ground level.

Oh, to be young, single, with a few bucks in your pocket.

Freshman year at West Genny. Playing JV soccer. Chilling with Mr Knapp in global studies, Mr Norman in music, and I think it was Mr Smith in earth science. Running around school not knowing where to go with a back pack because I didn't think I could make it to my locker between periods all the time:confused:. Crazy that it was 23 years ago. WOW what memories.

Life was all about the in basket and the out basket at the Social Security office and then getting home to my collection of videos and books and following, (mostly SU) sports. I was also wondering why anybody would think people would need a computer at home.

I have since gotten rid of the in basket and the out basket. I couldn't live without my computer although I sometimes wonder if life might not have been better without it.

Last edited:
I was 10 years old and more than likely dominating Joe Montana 2: Sports Talk Football on my Sega Genesis by running a fake punt every time I got the ball because it was the most unstoppable play in football video game history.

"It's first and 10 here comes the punt team and I CAN'T BELIEVE IT."

In Sept '91 was working for US Air. But took most of the month off for Jerry and the boys fall tour. Richfield(3 nights) > MSG(9 nights) > Boston Garden(6 nights).

Forgot the name of the sports bar over by the Boston Garden that we watched the Florida game in. It was pretty much in the basement/train station of the place. Ground level.

Oh, to be young, single, with a few bucks in your pocket.

I went to one of those MSG Shows! (and I was at Richfield the year before).

I was in the middle of my Army Officer Basic Course at Aberdeen Proving Ground. The Florida game wasn't on tv locally, so I had to settle for the in-game updates. The next week, I went to the game at MD, which was when Dan Conley tore up his knee, IIRC, but we put it to them a little. I was really amped for the FSU game at 4-0, especially when Qadry took the KO to the house. Then the roof caved in and we choked a bit the next week against ECU, before we ran the table. Good times...

My avatar tells the story of where I was that day. I was in the 2nd year of law school. Little did I know I was destined to never really practice. I was still one year away from a life-changing move to the big city, and 1 year removed from breaking up with my girlfriend at SU.

Oh - and I was certain that the Eagles had the best defense ever assembled... The minister and JB.. rest their souls..