What was going on in your life the last time we were 3-0? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What was going on in your life the last time we were 3-0?

I was 10 years old and more than likely dominating Joe Montana 2: Sports Talk Football on my Sega Genesis by running a fake punt every time I got the ball because it was the most unstoppable play in football video game history.

"It's first and 10 here comes the punt team and I CAN'T BELIEVE IT."

For me it was Tecmo Super Bowl launching bombs to John Taylor and having Ronnie Lott blitz on every defensive play.

I was living on Westcott Street, writing my dissertation :-( and enjoying my season ticket for SU football :).

I was in my 10th year of working for Jack Welch at GE. Jack, who rooted for UMass and U of Illinois (his two alma maters) always gave me a bad time about SU sports. I suspect I made sure he knew about the win on Monday morning.

here's my memory of the 3-0 orange in 1991 (at least I think it was after that game). Anyway true story. Was finishing up grad school out in Chicago. Back then getting to watch games was really hard and a lot of work to find them on somewhere, so I was so psyched to see us go 3-0.

The saturday night after the game was drunk after the game in the city up north in Lincoln Park where I lived the last year and then headed down to the then place to be for night life, Rush and Division street (may still be the place for all I know).

Anyway head down in a cab completely blotto...get out of the cab and waiting right there is then ESPN talking head and sportscaster Dan Patrick...as I stumble out he's holding the door open as I get out and before a crazzy hot gal goes in....I like it was my natural breath blurt out "holy Dan Patrick, the greatest sportscaster since Howard Cosell"......he laughs and says "yeah right."

As he lets her in and starts to get in himself and I'm starting to walk away I yell back "hey Dan how about those Orangemen" and he simply yells back before he shuts the door "looking good aren't they". Liked him before and ever since.

Last edited:
here's my memory of the 3-0 orange in 1991. True story. Was finishing up grad school out in Chicago. Back then getting to watch games was really hard and a lot of work to find them on somewhere, so I was so psyched to see us go 3-0.

The saturday night after 3-0 was drunk after the game in the city up north where I lived in Lincoln Park the last year then headed down to the then place to be for night life, Rush and Division street (may still be the place for all I know).

Anyway head down in a cab completely blotto...get out of the cab and waiting right there is then ESPN talking head and sportscaster Dan Patrick...as I stumble out he's holding the door open as I get out and before a crazzy hot gal goes in...I like it was my natural breath blurt out "holy Dan Patrick, the greatest sportscaster since Howard Cosell"...he laughs and says "yeah right."

As he lets her in and starts to get in himself and I'm starting to walk away I yell back "hey Dan how about those Orangemen" and he simply yells back before he shuts the door "looking good aren't they". Liked him before and ever since.

pics of the hot gal or it didn't happen!

I was a sophomore in high school. Dropping some pretty heavy game on this older girl from Syracuse that said she was also frequenting some tobacco chewing alcoholic guy because she felt sorry for him.

I think I also recall her telling me I was a better golfer than the other guy and that I knew more about college basketball than he did.

Had just moved back to 'Cuse after leaving my first real job - because it sucked. Spent the summer watching Glavine, Smoltz, Avery & Liebrandt dominate the NL West! Remember watching the game with a bunch of friends at a bar. We went crazy when we returned the KO for a TD. I think i reread the sunday paper 1000x the following morning.

I was in 1st grade. I remember learning to spell the word "brown" and thinking "holy crap this is a long word, what gives???" I also remember having a brand spanking new, top notch set of Crayola glitter crayons, the super-sized ones. Some kid lied to the teacher and said they were his and I was out the best thing to ever happen to me at that age. Looking back I was a fool for even bringing such a hot item into to school like that. I was just asking for attention and sure enough I got scammed.

Sitting in section 323 watching Kirby Dar Dar run right at me! Oh, the memories.

Some computer geek on here must be able to find a video of that kickoff return, and be able to post it in this thread? Anyone, anyone, Orange79?

Speaking of the paper the following morning after the florida game. Its been hanging in the man caves all these years.

image-1142274545.jpg

In Sept '91 was working for US Air. But took most of the month off for Jerry and the boys fall tour. Richfield(3 nights) > MSG(9 nights) > Boston Garden(6 nights).

Forgot the name of the sports bar over by the Boston Garden that we watched the Florida game in. It was pretty much in the basement/train station of the place. Ground level.

Oh, to be young, single, with a few bucks in your pocket.

I was at the last 5 of those msg shows

hippie-3502.gif

Sitting in section 323 watching Kirby Dar Dar run right at me! Oh, the memories.

Some computer geek on here must be able to find a video of that kickoff return, and be able to post it in this thread? Anyone, anyone, Orange79?

I loved Kirby Dar Dar, good player, even better name.

I know I was working at a job I didn't like. I was still living off the high of the summer. That summer I had seen 4-5 Lollapalooza's around the country. It was the first (and best) one. It had Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Butthole Surfers, Rollins Band, Siouxsie and the Banshees etc. (Sorry was an anti-deadhead type) ;)

If we are going to be specific about the Florida game. I didn't go so I had to be working.

I'm one of the older folks on the board as I was on assignment in Paris working for IBM. Those were the days... The boss told me to go over a weekend early totally on expense account and I stayed in a top notch hotel. Later my wife joined me for a couple of weeks. Those kind of things just don't happen any more!!

Last edited:
25 years old. Just started the job that would define my career. Engaged to my
First wife. On top of the world.

I was 14 years old, playing Jr High football, about a month removed from being thrown out a vehicle during a car accident on the way home from my grandparents house in mid-August. I'm glad that I'm still here!

I was in my 10th year of working for Jack Welch at GE. Jack, who rooted for UMass and U of Illinois (his two alma maters) always gave me a bad time about SU sports. I suspect I made sure he knew about the win on Monday morning.
You worked directly with Jack Welch? I bet you have some stories... I worked for GE in Schenectady right out of college and also in Greenville, SC...

I was 10, and my dad took me to the Nebraska Washington game which was on Saturday night (amazing atmosphere). Wore my orange pinstripe "bank logo" SU hat and got several compliments. Great day

I was a Junior (1st time of the fantastic 5 yr plan) at Syracuse. My buddies and I went all out for the Florida game. We painted our faces Orange and Blue drank many of cases of the Beast and still talk about that game today. As a side-note for all Cuse grads of that era the Milwaukee's Best cases made the best living room furniture. Nothing better than turning those cases back in and hitting Faegans for one huge blast with the deposit money! How did I get to 43 years old...seems like yesterday!

Was living in MD at the time. Road trip back to SU with a friend & 2 customers. Drank beer all the way in. End zone seats watching Dar Dar take the opening kickoff to the house. There was a noise monitor that was peaked out for most of the game. Single greatest time I ever had before, during & after a game!! Drank all night & my Mom cooked an awesome pasta & meatballs dinner on Sunday. That customer gave me every ounce of their business until I left the industry many years later. I still hook up with a couple of them & reminisce about that weekend! The dome was never louder than that day.

September 21 1991 - I was 13, early part of 8th grade. I remember trying out for Football and getting cut, probably right around that time. I learned that slow, thin kids aren't exactly in high demand. Hey at least I made it to pads. Lol. Think I got my first mountain bike that year and also discovered Led Zeppelin, Nirvana and Pearl Jam so it was a pretty good year music wise. Man, I didn't even realize how little I remember about Junior high before I wrote this - it's like a black hole now. I remember more from that game than 3 years of school.