What we need from the young guys | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What we need from the young guys

I will defer to you on these matters since you have that Iggy on your mantel.

As you should. The Iggy is quite a prestigious award. My dad saw me logged on the site and asked what Iggy winner meant and I told him. He said, "so basically even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Last edited:
As you should. The Iggy is quite a prestigious award. My dad saw my logged on the site and asked what Iggy winner meant and I told him. He said, "so basically even a broken clock is right twice a day."
:D

I guess I'm not sold on Gillon or Howard as much as some of you and that's why I'm so pessimistic about next year. I've seen Gillons tape and it looks good, but so do most players. At the end of the day he shot worse than Cooney and Mal from three in a weaker conference and turned the ball over quite a bit. Maybe not being the focal point of opposing teams defenses will help, but I'm not sold. I need to see it.

Scoring 70-75 is great and all, but how efficient are we doing it? Teams are going to put up points in this league and we've struggled to score for three years now.

Coleman 7
Roberson 11
Lydon 16
Battle 13
Gillon 10
Howard 6
Chukwu 3
Moyer 4

We'll score 70, but I don't think Gillon and Battle will be anymore efficient than Trev or Mal were. Not really an improvement. Will we be able to beat UNC, Louisville and Miami next year, you know teams that like to run and gun?

Cusefan0307 said:
I guess I'm not sold on Gillon or Howard as much as some of you and that's why I'm so pessimistic about next year. I've seen Gillons tape and it looks good, but so do most players. At the end of the day he shot worse than Cooney and Mal from three in a weaker conference and turned the ball over quite a bit. Maybe not being the focal point of opposing teams defenses will help, but I'm not sold. I need to see it. Scoring 70-75 is great and all, but how efficient are we doing it? Teams are going to put up points in this league and we've struggled to score for three years now. Coleman 7 Roberson 11 Lydon 16 Battle 13 Gillon 10 Howard 6 Chukwu 3 Moyer 4 We'll score 70, but I don't think Gillon and Battle will be anymore efficient than Trev or Mal were. Not really an improvement. Will we be able to beat UNC, Louisville and Miami next year, you know teams that like to run and gun?
Battle is a HUGE upgrade at guard.

I guess I'm not sold on Gillon or Howard as much as some of you and that's why I'm so pessimistic about next year. I've seen Gillons tape and it looks good, but so do most players. At the end of the day he shot worse than Cooney and Mal from three in a weaker conference and turned the ball over quite a bit. Maybe not being the focal point of opposing teams defenses will help, but I'm not sold. I need to see it.

Scoring 70-75 is great and all, but how efficient are we doing it? Teams are going to put up points in this league and we've struggled to score for three years now.

Coleman 7
Roberson 11
Lydon 16
Battle 13
Gillon 10
Howard 6
Chukwu 3
Moyer 4

We'll score 70, but I don't think Gillon and Battle will be anymore efficient than Trev or Mal were. Not really an improvement. Will we be able to beat UNC, Louisville and Miami next year, you know teams that like to run and gun?
We'll beat Miami.

Howard will average 6+ assists
That would be a pretty lofty number in today's game for a guy who might max out at around 25 minutes per game. I believe Battle and Gillon will put up decent assist numbers too and expect to see play making by committee.

So, more than Tyler Ennis did then?
Ennis averaged over 35 miutes/game, btw.

Only player was MCW (7.3 apg) as a Soph who has dished more than 6+ for a season, since Jonny (6.7)
And both of those guys showed a LOT more on the court as Frosh than Frankie did.

There are 80 minutes a game for the 2 guard positions, with 3 guys taking those minutes.
Battle will play 30+, which means that Howard & Gillon will split the remaining 50 (or less) somehow.

I'll take the under on Frankie's assists, due to the math, but I'd be certainly thrilled if I was wrong.

So, more than Tyler Ennis did then?
Ennis averaged over 35 miutes/game, btw.

Only player was MCW (7.3 apg) as a Soph who has dished more than 6+ for a season, since Jonny (6.7)
And both of those guys showed a LOT more on the court as Frosh than Frankie did.

There are 80 minutes a game for the 2 guard positions, with 3 guys taking those minutes.
Battle will play 30+, which means that Howard & Gillon will split the remaining 50 (or less) somehow.

I'll take the under on Frankie's assists, due to the math, but I'd be certainly thrilled if I was wrong.

You heard it here first

Damn, that's bold. But I will give it up to you. I believe this could happen if he gets 30 mpg, just not sure he will.
But yeah, if he does play that much, this is not a stretch at all. The kid was born to pass and make plays for others.

Gillon is going to light it up. Kid is a great shooter who can get to the hole he is going to be huge for us way more than most think. Living in Colorado I got to see him play. With our talent and coaching and JB loving to run this kid is going to shine

Gillon is going to light it up. Kid is a great shooter who can get to the hole he is going to be huge for us way more than most think. Living in Colorado I got to see him play. With our talent and coaching and JB loving to run this kid is going to shine

Couldn't agree more.

I understand the skepticism from those who haven't seen him play, but your assessment is spot on. We got an absolute gem.

If he's a great shooter, why did he shoot 33%?

If he's a great shooter, why did he shoot 33%?

Poor team, had to do too much after shooting a much higher percentage the previous two years.

Prepare to be amazed. This kid is LEGIT.

EDIT--and believe me, I understand the skepticism. This kid has ALL of the tools to be a difference maker at lead guard, and as a scorer / shooter. The lone limitation is that he's short. We're going to love him here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom