What's an off-season without drama (the Brad McKinney thread) .. | Syracusefan.com

What's an off-season without drama (the Brad McKinney thread) ..

Eh this kind of thing happens all the time, not much of a story here to be honest. Maybe some extra running for McKinney but thats about it.

The "BREAKING" part makes it comical... as in "BREAKING: WATER IS WET"

Can we avoid calling student paper writers just doing their job tools? That'd be cool.
it's just sad that reporting on something like this has become part of the job

clayman32 said:
it's just sad that reporting on something like this has become part of the job

That's fine, and obviously I agree that it's a non-story and he won't and shouldn't be punished, but they still have to report when a player gets arrested. Not like he passed judgment on the situation.

Any college kid who is underage and actually caught with beer should be sent to counseling;

To learn how to chug faster

"Have to"? No.

Maybe its not the "reporters" fault as much as it the state of today's media, but its a ridiculous situation when something like this is considered news. Does the young man at issue in the "story" no good whatsoever. None.

So, yeah, #tool.

It's a ridiculous situation when an SU player being arrested is considered news??? Uhh, no. You argue both sides of the point. If it's not the reporter's 'fault', why is he a tool? Rail all you want against the state of today's media, but this reporter was just doing his job.

It's news. Period.

It's a ridiculous situation when an SU player being arrested is considered news??? Uhh, no. You argue both sides of the point. If it's not the reporter's 'fault', why is he a tool? Rail all you want against the state of today's media, but this reporter was just doing his job.

It's news. Period.

Its not news. Its gross. There is no reason any of us need to know about this. None. Who cares that he's an SU player? Why does that matter? He's a kid who hasn't played a single minute for SU. I would imagine other than a select few of us, no one even knows who he is. Even if he was a star, wouldn't fundamentally change the fact that its not news. We should expect more from the media, but we don't. We click on/pay attention to sensationalized stories...we create the monsters they've become. Try reporting on something positive.

The kid "doing his job" better have thick skin, b/c being called a tool for reporting a non-story that does the young man at issue no good at all is going to engender harsher talk than that. Or at least it should. Its awful.

Carry on.

Its not news. Its gross. There is no reason any of us need to know about this. None. Who cares that he's an SU player? Why does that matter? He's a kid who hasn't played a single minute for SU. I would imagine other than a select few of us, no one even knows who he is. Even if he was a star, wouldn't fundamentally change the fact that its not news. We should expect more from the media, but we don't. We click on/pay attention to sensationalized stories...we create the monsters they've become. Try reporting on something positive.

The kid "doing his job" better have thick skin, b/c being called a tool for reporting a non-story that does the young man at issue no good at all is going to engender harsher talk than that. Or at least it should. Its awful.

Carry on.

There was a Pitt football player who was charged with DUI the other day. Should that story have been censored?

Maybe all stories relating to DUI's and drug overdoses should be censored as well?

Where do you draw the line? Burglaries? Rapes? Murders? Acts of Terrorism? Who decides what gets published and what gets covered up?

Wonderful thing, this "First Amendment". Nobody gets to tells the press what stories they can and can't report.

And nobody forces you to read it.

First Amendment rights v. whether something constitutes a story that is worth reporting, not the same. At all. No one said censorship. How about some common sense?

I just don't see how this story is news. Much less BREAKING news as Sam tweeted. We can agree to disagree. Kind of surprising that the media is being defended so rigorously by SU fans especially after all we've been through lately. Not sure they deserve it as a group.

If your job is to cover Syracuse sports and someone on a Syracuse sports team is arrested, it's news.

This isn't a 1st-A issue -- because no one's arguing that the PS lacks the "right" to tweet an about an SU player. That doesn't mean that an alcohol "arrest" of a minor (likely not an actual arrest but an appearance ticket) is relevant or interesting. I see O-79's point, that in today's hypersensitive news cycle, even the slightest misstep by an SU athlete is going to be reported. That's the world we live in.

However, at some point the PS should dial down the caffeine and exercise some discretion and common sense. Chris Carlson normally does a good job, but tweeting that a player was arrested "after he ripped up a mailbox [and] hid" is a lot like saying he actually "did these things" when all we know is that he was charged with a violation. We haven't heard the player 's side .. only law enforcement's version was tweeted. Later, an article appeared in the PS explaining that the mailbox was restored to its location before police arrived. But again .. we have no idea who did what when. It just gets blasted out there shot-gun style.

This raises a broader issue -- that the PS has become trigger-happy. Last winter, they jumped all over a (fake) story about Dion Waiters skipping the national anthem because "he's Muslim". That was an obvious hatchet-job meant to stir up patriotic sentiments ... without proper investigation. The PS simply ran someone else's article without doing their own digging. Predictably, the author of the article wound up retracting his accusations a short time later, once he got Dion's explanation (that he meant no offense, was present for the NA a couple nights later, etc). In the meantime, Dion got smeared, the PS got some hits, and we all wasted our time following a media frenzy over a worthless subject that was never "news" in the first place.

This time, I noticed an improvement: instead of reporting "news" about a LAX player on the football and basketball sites -- at least the PS kept restricted it to the Lacrosse site so SU fans don't have to see it 10 times.

Baby steps.

Last edited:
This isn't a 1st-A issue -- because no one's arguing that the PS lacks the "right" to tweet an about an SU player. That doesn't mean that an alcohol "arrest" of a minor (likely not an actual arrest but an appearance ticket) is relevant or interesting. I see O-79's point, that in today's hypersensitive news cycle, even the slightest misstep by an SU athlete is going to be reported. That's the world we live in.

However, at some point the PS should dial down the caffeine and exercise some discretion and common sense. Chris Carlson normally does a good job, but tweeting that a player was arrested "after he ripped up a mailbox [and] hid" is a lot like saying he actually "did these things" when all we know is that he was charged with a violation. We haven't heard the player 's side .. only law enforcement's version was tweeted. Later, an article appeared in the PS explaining that the mailbox was restored to its location before police arrived. But again .. we have no idea who did what when. It just gets blasted out there shot-gun style.

This raises a broader issue -- that the PS has become trigger-happy. Last winter, they jumped all over a (fake) story about Dion Waiters skipping the national anthem because "he's Muslim". That was an obvious hatchet-job meant to stir up patriotic sentiments ... without proper investigation. The PS simply ran someone else's article without doing their own digging. Predictably, the author of the article wound up retracting his accusations a short time later, once he got Dion's explanation (that he meant no offense, was present for the NA a couple nights later, etc). In the meantime, Dion got smeared, the PS got some hits, and we all wasted our time following a media frenzy over a worthless subject that was never "news" in the first place.

This time, I noticed an improvement: instead of reporting "news" about a LAX player on the football and basketball sites -- at least this time the PS kept it to the Lacrosse site so SU fans don't have to see it 10 times.

Baby steps.
The only way it changes is to make people pay for their content. As long as they live and die by clicks to drive up ad revenue I don't see them changing one bit. It would be a refreshing change to find a writer there that has a modicum of integrity. I think Sean Kirst may be the only one left.

The only way it changes is to make people pay for their content. As long as they live and die by clicks to drive up ad revenue I don't see them changing one bit. It would be a refreshing change to find a writer there that has a modicum of integrity. I think Sean Kirst may be the only one left.
Agreed. The internet may be the news forum of the future, but hit-based advertising encourages sensationalism (at least in the titles). I don' think it's the writers ... it's the producers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom