What's the deal with Chinonso | Syracusefan.com

What's the deal with Chinonso

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
I just don't know him well enough or have seen him enough to know if he will ever contribute here? His situation just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Can anyone else recall what other scholarships he had out of HS? Not trying to be mean at all, but I just don't see how he gets time here, he looks really small height wise... Like shockingly small

I just don't know him well enough or have seen him enough to know if he will ever contribute here? His situation just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Can anyone else recall what other scholarships he had out of HS? Not trying to be mean at all, but I just don't see how he gets time here, he looks really small height wise... Like shockingly small

While you were posting that, I was writing a post about him in the "age old" thread. It seems a shame that he's been relegated to a status not much above that of a walk on, especially in a season when our bigs are so foul prone. I pumped my fist just from seeing him on the court tonight. With DC2 now apparently looking at a redshirt, it would seem like Chino could at the very least use some more garbage time minutes. I guess we just don't have as many of them as we are used to having.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/141430/chinonso-obokoh

My alma mater is on the list. Probably would've gotten time last year. He's going to get recruited over every season but should be able to give us valuable minutes in a year or two. Who knows, by his senior year he could emerge as a solid 4 or 5 depending how the roster shakes up.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/141430/chinonso-obokoh

My alma mater is on the list. Probably would've gotten time last year. He's going to get recruited over every season but should be able to give us valuable minutes in a year or two. Who knows, by his senior year he could emerge as a solid 4 or 5 depending how the roster shakes up.
Those are better than I thought he had... I just don't understand how he will ever be able to get time if he can't earn any now when we literally have no other five... If he can't earn time now, it seems pretty bleak for him in the future... Seems like a nice kid, just don't know if it's a great bball fit, playing wise... Especially since he didn't earn redshirt last year

I'm guessing he's still just not showing enough in practices. Otherwise he would definitely be getting (real) minutes.

He looks really confused when he's out there. Runs in to his own teammate when they drive, stuff like that.

He'll figure it out. He's never going to be Etan Thomas or anything, but he can be a competent backup.

Chinsoso has now played 38 minutes, the rough equivalent of a full game, (against lesser opposition). He has a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. He has 3 steals and 2 blocks, (the steals impress me more as they involve, I think a greater awareness of what is going on around him- you can get blocks by jumping at everything). He also has two assists. he's made all four shots from the field and both free throws. He has one turnover. His one statistical downside: 8 fouls, which is not unusual for a freshman center. I watched him last night, looking for defensive lapses and didn't really see any in 7 minutes of play. He was not as tall as Colgate's 6-11 guy. I don't think he's a full 6-10. But he's broad-shouldered and rather thickly built. He's not skinny as Keita was.

I fail to see why he can't give us 5-10 minutes a game as a back-up center.But I'm not at practice and I'm not Jim Boeheim.

I'm guessing he's still just not showing enough in practices. Otherwise he would definitely be getting (real) minutes.
Nah, JB is Boeheiming him to keep the NBA scouts off the scent. Can't afford to lose him, Christmas and McCollough at the same time. Next thing you know, Hop bolts and we're Rutgers.

Chinsoso has now played 38 minutes, the rough equivalent of a full game, (against lesser opposition). He has a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. He has 3 steals and 2 blocks, (the steals impress me more as they involve, I think a greater awareness of what is going on around him- you can get blocks by jumping at everything). He also has two assists. he's made all four shots from the field and both free throws. He has one turnover. His one statistical downside: 8 fouls, which is not unusual for a freshman center. I watched him last night, looking for defensive lapses and didn't really see any in 7 minutes of play. He was not as tall as Colgate's 6-11 guy. I don't think he's a full 6-10. But he's broad-shouldered and rather thickly built. He's not skinny as Keita was.

I fail to see why he can't give us 5-10 minutes a game as a back-up center.But I'm not at practice and I'm not Jim Boeheim.
Completely agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom