What's the worst movie you ever saw? | Syracusefan.com

What's the worst movie you ever saw?

SWC75

Bored Historian
This subject somehow came up in the discussion of the alleged Michael Carter-Williams "incident" over the weekend, (see the basketball board). It belongs here.

I put the question in three categories:

1) What film have you seen that you would least like to see again?

For me it's Ken Russell's "The Devils". I'd liked the director's previous work and actually dragged my parents to this, which turned out to be simply an attempt to see how many horrific images could be thrown at the audience before they ran from the theater. We made it perhaps 60% of the way through and I had I had to apologize to Mom and Dad all the way home.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devils_(film)

2) What film was so incompetently made that it was actually funny and thus entertaining on that level?

Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space" is the most famous so-bad-it's-funny film of all time but I think Phil Tucker's "Robot Monster" takes the cake. They didn't have enough money in the budget for a "robot" suit but a friend of Phil's had a gorilla suit so they just took off the head and put the top of a diving suit over it. The Robot Monster destroys the earth, except for a few people who were having a picnic with a "death ray" repsented by something called the "automatic billion bubble machine".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster

3) What was the most disappointing film you've seen, considering the resumes of the people in it?
I'm a big Audrey Hepburn fan and respect Ben Gazzara, James Mason, Omar Shariff, Irene Papas and Romy Schneider. Terrnce Young has directed some good films, inclduing several James Bond movies. Ennio Morricone is one of my favorite movie composers, ("The Good the Bad and the Ugly, etc.). And they all came together to make this incredible piece of crap:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodline_(1979_film)

The Black Dahlia. Only movie that I've ever left early from.

2) What film was so incompetently made that it was actually funny and thus entertaining on that level?

Commando. So ridiculous but so entertaining.

3) What was the most disappointing film you've seen, considering the resumes of the people in it?

Hmmm... maybe Godfather 3?

Robocop 2 and probably Glengary Glenn Ross (which I'm positive the latter will offend a bunch of winner take all Repubs on here like Tristan and the K guy). No redeeming qualities in either. And oh yeah, Pulp fiction as it helped start Americas slide into the sewer.

It was real cute to hear all the kids laughing at people getting tortured and their heads blown off (first time for me to notice such abberant anti social behavior in such a public way at a time when it was still rare and not socially acceptable like today), also like in the past where hearing the F word in public was rare vs. today hearing the F word every other word out of a kids' mouthes when they talk in public (at least we did it/do it in private amongst friends).

Boy I think I just turned into my father, with the bitter old man routine...

This subject somehow came up in the discussion of the alleged Michael Carter-Williams "incident" over the weekend, (see the basketball board). It belongs here.

I put the question in three categories:

For me it's Ken Russell's "The Devils". I'd liked the director's previous work and actually dragged my parents to this, which turned out to be simply an attempt to see how many horrific images could be thrown at the audience before they ran from the theater. We made it perhaps 60% of the way through and I had I had to apologize to Mom and Dad all the way home.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devils_(film)

Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space" is the most famous so-bad-it's-funny film of all time but I think Phil Tucker's "Robot Monster" takes the cake. They didn't have enough money in the budget for a "robot" suit but a friend of Phil's had a gorilla suit so they just took off the head and put the top of a diving suit over it. The Robot Monster destroys the earth, except for a few people who were having a picnic with a "death ray" repsented by something called the "automatic billion bubble machine".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster

I'm a big Audrey Hepburn fan and respect Ben Gazzara, James Mason, Omar Shariff, Irene Papas and Romy Schneider. Terrnce Young has directed some good films, inclduing several James Bond movies. Ennio Morricone is one of my favorite movie composers, ("The Good the Bad and the Ugly, etc.). And they all came together to make this incredible piece of crap:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodline_(1979_film)
Nightmare on Elm Street 2, which has nothing to do with any other film in the NoES series and, even if it did, is just poorly made. A movie so bad that even Wes Craven refused to take a paycheck on it. Also, anything by Adam Sandler or Eli Roth

Night of the Lepus, about Giant Killer Bunnies. When they are attacking individual people, it's a guy in a bunny suit. In the scene when they attack the town, they use real rabbits running through an HO scale train set, so the man sized rabbits in the previous scene are suddenly twice the size of train cars. Next scene, they are back to man sized.

Someone already mentioned Godfather 3 . . . so I'll say Carnage. The play God of Carnage was phenomenal, and the cast for the movie seemed on paper to be very good, but the film fell completely flat (especially if you were lucky enough to see the Tony Award winning Broadway production). Polanski made weird changes to the text, both large and small, that also sapped the life out of it, IMO.

1 and 3. "Unbreakable" was by far the worst I've ever seen in the theater. Talked with one of my friends who equally hated it all the way through. Felt bad because we were told that we were really loud. Horrible movie with horrible dialogue.

2. Red Dawn - the original. You can make a home movie better than that today, but still kind of awesome.

Worst movie I've ever paid to see? Howard the Duck (I was 14) at least it had Leah Thompson in skimpy clothes.
Batteries Not Included - a P.O.S. brought to us by Spielberg

I've seen both Plan 9 and Robot Monster as well as Manos: the Hands of Fate. Of the three Manos is the worst. I've only seen the MST3K or Rifftrax versions

I'm actually a fan of "it's so bad, it's good" movies. I actively look for these movies when they come out. I was hoping the new Red Dawn would be one of these but I'm wrong.

Some Bad-but-good movies
Roadhouse
Point Break
Red Dawn - heck, any Swayze movie
Lockout

Alien vs Predator.

You've got two of the most BA movie creatures of all time... how do you **** that up?! And they didnt learn because Prometheus sucked too

I am shocked and offended that Red Dawn has been mentioned twice on this thread. Clearly you posters hate America.

WOLVERINES!!!!

Leonard Part 6. If you want to see it in order to compare against other bad movies, don't.
Just don't.

Robocop 2 and probably Glengary Glenn Ross (which I'm positive the latter will offend a bunch of winner take all Repubs on here like Tristan and the K guy). No redeeming qualities in either. And oh yeah, Pulp fiction as it helped start Americas slide into the sewer.

It was real cute to hear all the kids laughing at people getting tortured and their heads blown off (first time for me to notice such abberant anti social behavior in such a public way at a time when it was still rare and not socially acceptable like today), also like in the past where hearing the F word in public was rare vs. today hearing the F word every other word out of a kids' mouthes when they talk in public (at least we did it/do it in private amongst friends).

Boy I think I just turned into my father, with the bitter old man routine...

Hilarious, CR! Robocop 2 is the only movie I've ever walked out of and was what I was going to post before I read your post.

Worst movie is i am legend. Could be the worst movie ever made. I will never get back those 2 hours.

I can watch revenge of the nerds 1000 times and it gets better each time.

Godfather 3 was very disappointing.

I hated 'Inception'. HATED it. My wife loves it. Whatever part of the brain 'Inception' appeals to, I don't have it. Likely never did.

I have Terry Gilliam to thank for both of my worst filmic experiences ever. The Adventures of Baron Manchausen remains to this day the only film I've ever walked out of at the theater. Brazil which I watched on DVD was even worse. I knew that I was going to hate it, but for some reason that I don't recall, my seeing it was an urgent issue for a friend of mine. I hated it so much that I could only take 15 minute bursts. It took me like six viewings over the course of a week to get to the end of it. I have a feeling that Terry Gilliam's personality scores and mine would be just about perfect opposites.

-exits

2. Red Dawn - the original. You can make a home movie better than that today, but still kind of awesome.

Don't get me wrong, Red Dawn is no master piece but that seems like a strange criticism to make of it. I don't recall that the production quality was particularly bad.

-exits

Worst movie I ever got roped into seeing in the theater, without question: Miss Congeniality 2. Yes, I was brought to this movie by a girl, so I have an excuse.

Worst movie I ever got roped into seeing in the theater, without question: Miss Congeniality 2. Yes, I was brought to this movie by a girl, so I have an excuse.
You're right, and let me add to the list some other ones the Mrs has picked out over the years: freaking Bridget Jones Diary, God freaking awful, and while I'm at it add that freaking movie The English Patient (just Die already and God freaking horrible aweful), and of course, the coup de grace God aweful movie...freaking Brokeback mountain. I almost broke my back in revulsion getting up out of the dang room when the two dudes surprised lip smacked at of the bottom of the stairs in that one reunion scene. Just God awful.

You're right, and let me add to the list some other ones the Mrs has picked out over the years: freaking Bridget Jones Diary, God freaking awful, and while I'm at it add that freaking movie The English Patient (just Die already and God freaking horrible aweful), and of course, the coup de grace God aweful movie...freaking Brokeback mountain. I almost broke my back in revulsion getting up out of the dang room when the two dudes surprised lip smacked at of the bottom of the stairs in that one reunion scene. Just God awful.

You were surprised that two guys kissed in a movie advertised as two guys falling in love with each other?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Don't get me wrong, Red Dawn is no master piece but that seems like a strange criticism to make of it. I don't recall that the production quality was particularly bad.

-exits

I might have meant special effects.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2