What's this say about the team identity? | Syracusefan.com

What's this say about the team identity?

GoSU96

Living Legend
116th offense in the country, worst since Grob

Big recruiting class that adds:

14 defensive players, 5 OL, 1 kicker

and

6 skill position players with one QB and none of which is a WR.

One Juco, that being a TE.

IMO one thing it confirms is that they believe this is a defense first team. The last six years the defense has averaged being 36th in total defense, with the lowest being 64th in 2011 with all of the injuries in the second half of the year.

What I hope it means is that the guys returning on offense can get it done in the opinion of the staff. Even with the offense imploding they should have had a couple of more wins. In the last twelve years only six teams have finished with either the defense or offense ranked in the top 30 and lost 3 or more games.

They get the offense even into the 70's and a good shot at 7 or 8 wins if the defense can stay in the range it has played in the last six years.

GoSU96 said:
116th offense in the country, worst since Grob Big recruiting class that adds: 14 defensive players, 5 OL, 1 kicker and 6 skill position players with one QB and none of which is a WR. One Juco, that being a TE. IMO one thing it confirms is that they believe this is a defense first team. The last six years the defense has averaged being 36th in total defense, with the lowest being 64th in 2011 with all of the injuries in the second half of the year. What I hope it means is that the guys returning on offense can get it done in the opinion of the staff. Even with the offense imploding they should have had a couple of more wins. In the last twelve years only six teams have finished with either the defense or offense ranked in the top 30 and lost 3 or more games. They get the offense even into the 70's and a good shot at 7 or 8 wins if the defense can stay in the range it has played in the last six years.

Overthinking it.

They feel we are fine at WR.

The highest rated guy in the class is Strickland - a really, really good RB.

The OL guys are super solid.

I'm fine with the class.

It's truthfully all on Lester. Need to get into the top 60 on offense.

Overthinking it.

They feel we are fine at WR.

The highest rated guy in the class is Strickland - a really, really good RB.

The OL guys are super solid.

I'm fine with the class.

It's truthfully all on Lester. Need to get into the top 60 on offense.

It was a question, an observation based on the circumstances the team is facing.

I wasn't questioning the staffs judgment.

Based on the fact they didn't take one of their 27 or so openings and get a Juco WR or bring in a freshmen you better hope we are more than fine at WR. I hope they are right. I think there are kids that can play, by default Lester has to have a better plan to use them than the last guy.

It says this coaching staff better find an average D1 quarterback on the roster or there is going to be a lot of talent producing some disappointing results.

and

IMO one thing it confirms is that they believe this is a defense first team. The last six years the defense has averaged being 36th in total defense, with the lowest being 64th in 2011 with all of the injuries in the second half of the year.

What I hope it means is that the guys returning on offense can get it done in the opinion of the staff. Even with the offense imploding they should have had a couple of more wins. In the last twelve years only six teams have finished with either the defense or offense ranked in the top 30 and lost 3 or more games.

They get the offense even into the 70's and a good shot at 7 or 8 wins if the defense can stay in the range it has played in the last six years.

What I hope it means is that the guys returning on offense can get it done in the opinion of the staff.

I think that's what they believe if they can be healthier. Figure Ishmael and Phillips will only improve after a full offseason. They assume Hunt, Estime and Broyld at 100%. They brought in RBs, although one is now a grayshirt. The JUCO TE fills an immediate need.

In the staff's mind, I think they're probably a little more worried about D, losing all those starters. Couple nice pieces to build around with Thompson and Franklin, but then a lot of new faces.

I just don't see how that's possible. Let's say we duplicate the scoring defense from this past season - 24.3 points. Let's say we split the difference on getting offense in the 70s and are similar to the past season's #75, UMASS. They averaged 27.3 points a game. That's a field goal per game advantage for the offense. Considering that we've got some games where we're likely to get out talented and lose... tough to get 7 or 8 wins on such a slim margin for error.

But hey, that's our program's style.

and

Offense starts with the offensive line.

I just don't see how that's possible. Let's say we duplicate the scoring defense from this past season - 24.3 points. Let's say we split the difference on getting offense in the 70s and are similar to the past season's #75, UMASS. They averaged 27.3 points a game. That's a field goal per game advantage for the offense. Considering that we've got some games where we're likely to get out talented and lose... tough to get 7 or 8 wins on such a slim margin for error.

But hey, that's our program's style.

In the last twelve years 25 teams have finished with total defense in the 30's and total offense between 65th and 85th, 20 had 7 or more wins, average was 7.4 wins.

SU in 13 was one of those teams and should have had at least one or two more wins.

Needed to replenish the defense. Lost a lot to graduation. I don't get the reasoning of some here that the 2015 defense will be good just because the 2014 defense was good. It does not work that way when you lose 8 starters.

Shafer took the long view with this class. A different head coach might have looked to JUCOs for a RB, WR, OT, QB, or DB to fill some obvious holes -- trying to win in 2015.

I think that's what they believe if they can be healthier. Figure Ishmael and Phillips will only improve after a full offseason. They assume Hunt, Estime and Broyld at 100%. They brought in RBs, although one is now a grayshirt. The JUCO TE fills an immediate need.

In the staff's mind, I think they're probably a little more worried about D, losing all those starters. Couple nice pieces to build around with Thompson and Franklin, but then a lot of new faces.

Perkins isn't grayshirting.

Needed to replenish the defense. Lost a lot to graduation. I don't get the reasoning of some here that the 2015 defense will be good just because the 2014 defense was good. It does not work that way when you lose 8 starters.

Shafer took the long view with this class. A different head coach might have looked to JUCOs for a RB, WR, OT, QB, or DB to fill some obvious holes -- trying to win in 2015.

They've been good the last six years, I think we can count on the defense not falling off the table. A lot more depth than in 2011.

They've been good the last six years, I think we can count on the defense not falling off the table. A lot more depth than in 2011.
True, but they will need immediate contributions from the incoming safeties and maybe at CB.

We've been pretty consistent on defense the last several years so we've got a track record that gives me confidence we will be solid again going forward. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the young guys-especially that beast class of LB's we brought in last year- and see what they can do. I'm hoping Trey gives us a weapon we haven't had with a TE that can force the defense to cover the middle of the field. I like the flashes we have seen in Irv, Brisley, and Ish as playmakers but we need much, much more out of them. Getting back to mediocrity on offense would make me happy but that all depends on our trigger man. Here's to hoping Hunt see's the light and puts it all together next fall-

The only thing I question is the QB position. I wouldn't mind the staff leaving an empty spot in this class to bring in someone in January to compete for the 2016 starting job.

The defense is going to need help this year. Adding some impact on DL can certainly take some pressure off of the secondary. Would be great to be able to generate a pass rush without as much blitzing of the LB's. Leave them to hammer those teams trying to throw the quick passes to small slot guys.

Don't forget that improving on offense will mean more TOP for us, less tome on the field for the defense and better field position for the defense when we do punt. I have no doubt that an average offense helps our defense give up less points. So if our defense is as good as last year (big if), they will give up less points.

Florange44

In the last twelve years 25 teams have finished with total defense in the 30's and total offense between 65th and 85th, 20 had 7 or more wins, average was 7.4 wins.

SU in 13 was one of those teams and should have had at least one or two more wins.
Eh, it's good that it ends up being a better percentage play than I thought. I just hope our aspirations are higher than "let's have a good offense and get by with mediocre offense."

Agreed...the defense has been very good considering how much time they've spent on the field the last two years.

If we can't improve our offensive efficiency and move the sticks consistently, I hope they consider using less hurry-up no-huddle. If nothing else, you buy time for the defense and reduce the number of possessions. I'm not saying eliminate the hurry-up but maybe be more selective with it's use.

If we plan on our defense maintaining status quo at 24 points given up and say the offense improves to 27 points a game, cant we just take the 3 point positive spread and compare that to the average spread for all BCS 7 win and 8 win teams and see how it compares?

*Disclaimer alert, I still believe with the Dome we should have an emphasis on a big play/explosive/fast offense. I believe HCSS has already tailored a Defense perfect for the dome; IE. fast, aggressive, attacking and flying around.

Last edited:
If we plan on our defense maintaining status quo at 24 points given up and say the offense improves to 27 points a game, cant we just take the 3 point positive spread and compare that to the average spread for all BCS 7 win and 8 win teams and see how it compares?

*Disclaimer alert, I still believe with the Dome we should have an emphasis on a big plan/explosive/fast offense. I believe HCSS has already tailored a Defense perfect for the dome; IE. fast, aggressive, attacking and flying around.
I agree, but if you don't have the players(particularly at QB) to pull this system off, then why force a square peg into a round hole. Offensive three-and-outs eventually wear down your own defense, especially with multiple incomplete passes. Bottom line...you have to move the chains.

*Disclaimer alert, I still believe with the Dome we should have an emphasis on a big plan/explosive/fast offense.

Not happening this year. Will look a lot more like that Patriots' offense or OSU's.

Last edited:
I agree, but if you don't have the players(particularly at QB) to pull this system off, then why force a square peg into a round hole.
At some point you've got to figure out how to take that step forward.:noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom