Class of 2015 - DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook

I think Shafer's approach is fine. They've always sold the players on relationships and a strong family-type bond. He wants the recruits to be able to hang out with the players behind-the-scenes and see how close-knit they are. After a game, especially a loss, they are beat and likely not in the best spirits. Not a good scenario for a first-time impression on a kid visiting the program.

I agree, they may have to adjust things somewhat with the new dead period rule in effect, but I have no problem with the philosophy in general. Any kid who gives a verbal to Ga Tech knows that if he takes any other visits after giving a verbal, his offer is pulled. It's different, it's pretty hardcore and unique, but it generally works. I think we have to sell our program in the manner Rocco describes and the way to do that is make sure kids have time to bond with the staff and future teammates. We can't show them a 90,000 seat stadium that is always packed or a locker room that looks like what the Dallas Cowboys have.

Tim Owen ‏@Tim_OwenBWI 1h
Four-star 15 DE Tyrone Wheatley on possibility of Franklin to #PSU: "Can't wait to see where he takes #PSU this year"

yeah right. I highly doubt he goes to PSU

Whoa whoa whoa, just wait, what do the sloots have to say about his chances of going to PSU?

Just have a strong feeling that, though he has to make his own decision, it'd be tough being the son of a Michigan star and going to PSU. Throw in the whole unstable coaching situation and declining of the program and it just doesn't make very much sense.

Just have a strong feeling that, though he has to make his own decision, it'd be tough being the son of a Michigan star and going to PSU. Throw in the whole unstable coaching situation and declining of the program and it just doesn't make very much sense.
I know, I was just making a joke about something another poster said months ago regarding the recruitment of Wheatley.

Tyrone Wheatley Jr., the top recruit in New York,
has Syracuse football high on his list

http://cuse.com/news/2014/2/26/FB_0226143214.aspx?path=football#.UxEN1oVbsnF

Is this just the standard Mink blowing smoke up my butt and trolling for pageviews or is there something to this? The article points to his coach at Canisius as the source of his purported interest in (or rather comfort with) Syracuse, not Wheatley himself.

Is this just the standard Mink blowing smoke up my butt and trolling for pageviews or is there something to this? The article points to his coach at Canisius as the source of his purported interest in (or rather comfort with) Syracuse, not Wheatley himself.

It seems legit given that his coach makes mention of it. His interest isn't really a surprise because of dad's connection to SU and his growing up around here, but I really like the connection with Shafer's son, Wolf. Nice to be mentioned with the big schools, and if SU continues to be listed high as the year progresses, SU's stock in the eyes of some other recruits may rise even if he goes elsewhere.

Here is the correct link.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb..._football_high_on_his_lis.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Why recruit New York players when we have contacts in Georgia and Alabama , where they play real high school football.

are you being facetious?
No I'm not. I think the best way to improve our chances with these recruits is to give them less attention. In addition , people in the south love tradition, which we have and they respect. Harvey coming out of Alabama could be a boon for SU. No real reason to lie prostate for Wheatley , he knows the school , coach and is friends with the coaches son. If he doesn't feel it now , why would he 6 months from now?

No I'm not. I think the best way to improve our chances with these recruits is to give them less attention. In addition , people in the south love tradition, which we have and they respect. Harvey coming out of Alabama could be a boon for SU. No real reason to lie prostate for Wheatley , he knows the school , coach and is friends with the coaches son. If he doesn't feel it now , why would he 6 months from now?

1. The phrase is 'lie prostrate', not 'lie prostate'.
2. Who is doing this? He's a high schooler who's interested in SU; SU is interested in him. Why are you commenting as if anybody is disrespecting anybody else?

Right prostrate . Hasn't every NY 4-5 star guy that Cuse has gone after has left us high and dry ? If Wheatley goes all in now , don't you think that would be a boost to the program and help our coaching staff in the recruiting game this year? I'm not trying to dis Wheatley , his father was a great player and did great work while coaching at SU. I'm only concerned with The Orange.

Right prostrate . Hasn't every NY 4-5 star guy that Cuse has gone after has left us high and dry ? If Wheatley goes all in now , don't you think that would be a boost to the program and help our coaching staff in the recruiting game this year? I'm not trying to dis Wheatley , his father was a great player and did great work while coaching at SU. I'm only concerned with The Orange.

I think that most recruits would rather feel "wanted" by a school. If SU's coaches were to ignore some of the kids in NY, it could backfire with those recruits and their HS coaches, hurting us in the long run. I think, too, that most experts believe that keeping the best in-state recruits close to home is the way to build up a weakened program. Plus, SU is doing what you've suggested without ignoring NY; SU's coaches seem to be going after each recruit they think will help the program, whatever their ranking or location. Finally, I do agree that if some of these other 4-5 stars come SU's way, more local recruits will take notice.

it's as if people don't even want us to attempt recruiting the kid? strange.

anyways, what was the LBer at FM...Zaire Ashley? Wonder if we are recruiting him? Haven't heard much about his development, anyone have any insight?

T4BrSwO.gif

It seems legit given that his coach makes mention of it. His interest isn't really a surprise because of dad's connection to SU and his growing up around here, but I really like the connection with Shafer's son, Wolf. Nice to be mentioned with the big schools, and if SU continues to be listed high as the year progresses, SU's stock in the eyes of some other recruits may rise even if he goes elsewhere.
Is this the year we break the curse of losing out on the best that NY has to offer? Long way to go, and this timewe'll just have to wait and see. Nice having Dad just a few hour drive from Campus though.

it's as if people don't even want us to attempt recruiting the kid? strange.

anyways, what was the LBer at FM...Zaire Ashley? Wonder if we are recruiting him? Haven't heard much about his development, anyone have any insight?

I'll ask people around FM

Right, lets not go after the guy whose dad coached here because thomas holley didn't like syracuse from day 1. because those two things are definitely related.

Right, lets not go after the guy whose dad coached here because thomas holley didn't like syracuse from day 1. because those two things are definitely related.
I'm with you on this one, we play our cards all the way till the end, even if we have to go all in on this young man. Since this is my 1000 post, I say that is an omen and this is the year we win this battle, albeit we won't know until much later in the game. That's poker after all! It's Orange or Bust...

The chances of getting Wheatley are between1%-10%, it isn't going to happen, better spending the time in the Midwest or South, where our coaches have good contacts.