When g rob was fired | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When g rob was fired

If he doesn't come up with one h*ck of a pick for a new fb coach that pans out, this is 100% on him.
This is the case whether you agree with his decision or not. Listen, just as there was no choice with firing P (bring it, P fans), just as there was no choice with firing Grob, there really was no choice here. I loved FHCSS, I REALLY wanted him to be the guy. He checked all the boxes. Except wins. And that's the bottom line. Would things have improved? Who knows? No one can say definitively either way. The point is, Coyle made his choice, with full buy-in from the BOT. He owns it.

nzm136 said:
What kills me about this move is that pretty much everyone agrees that SS can recruit and coach a defense, and that he's loyal to SU and passionate about the university. The three questions are A) can he hire staff B) can he develop talent, and C) can he put together an offense. I don't think that he proved that he can hire a good staff, but I'm also not sure he was given a chance. The guys that he initially hired were all hired on short notice, and they were probably hired on a limited budge. We also went to a bowl in year #1, so it's not like he could cut them without trashing his reputation. Arguably, he could have cleaned house before this year, but once again, given the nature of how they were hired, that's easier said then done. I also don't think that he proved that he could develop talent, but he wasn't really here long enough to say for sure. His guys really are freshmen and sophomores - unless you want to include his work as DC (if so, then arguably he proved that he could develop talent). I'm also not entirely sure he proved that he can put together an offense. However, our points per game rank increased by 43 spots between this year and last, despite a comparable schedule. AND, he did that with a really, really young offense. In all likelihood, there would have been other size able jumps over the next two years from recruiting/player maturity alone. With those figures in mind, although I don't think that he "proved" anything for sure, I don't see how you can't tentatively give him the benefit of the doubt, contingent on future success. IMHO, he wasn't given a real chance. His offense did improve (a LOT) and his defense was weak this year, but that was clearly bad luck, not his shortcomings (see his track record - even as HC). I get that he's fired and that the SS ship has sailed and sunk, but given the above, I have serious doubts as to the AD's competency, and that ship is still very much in port. If he doesn't come up with one h*ck of a pick for a new fb coach that pans out, this is 100% on him.

A) He damn well should have made moves on his staff after 2013 if he thought it was necessary. We went 7-6 and had big deficiencies on both sides of the ball. If he didn't because of some perception issue than that's 100% on him.

B) His staff had 3 seasons to "develop" what was left from his 4 years on Marrone's staff. It was hit and miss. Perhaps that goes back to A?

C) statistically the O was still bad. Points were inflated by defense and ST scores, and the OT games. The O also got worse as we progressed in ACC play, and that was when Dungey was healthy, as was the OL, as was the skill positions.

Coyle was hired to make sure football was functional. Everyone says that was a key part of why Syverud and the BOT brought him on board. He had all season to evaluate Shafer. If his new hire doesn't do well then he'll try again. It's not life or death.

no one Was upset. G rob seemed like a fake. Shafer was a real man. Nothing fake about him. Wishing Shafer much success going forward

I don't think anybody saw Greg Robinson as a fake.

I think most viewed him as surprisingly unprepared to be a college head coach and perhaps a bit naïve or even flaky.

The reality is that Greg Robinson was and remains a decent, honest and genuine man.

In my opinion Scott Shafer was prepared to be a head coach - he had a plan and he knew what he wanted to establish.

He just ran out of time.

And for the record, SS was way better than GRob. Greg inherited a 4* junior QB. SS inherited a question mark. SS also had tougher schedules, and won more games in fewer years (including twice as many conference games). SS also generally fielded strong defensive teams. Greg did not.

A) He damn well should have made moves on his staff after 2013 if he thought it was necessary. We went 7-6 and had big deficiencies on both sides of the ball. If he didn't because of some perception issue than that's 100% on him.

B) His staff had 3 seasons to "develop" what was left from his 4 years on Marrone's staff. It was hit and miss. Perhaps that goes back to A?

C) statistically the O was still bad. Points were inflated by defense and ST scores, and the OT games. The O also got worse as we progressed in ACC play, and that was when Dungey was healthy, as was the OL, as was the skill positions.

Coyle was hired to make sure football was functional. Everyone says that was a key part of why Syverud and the BOT brought him on board. He had all season to evaluate Shafer. If his new hire doesn't do well then he'll try again. It's not life or death.
A) If he did what you said, who would be dumb enough to work for him?
B) No. He had 2 years to develop his guys. HCDM left really late in the year and that class was a scramble. Holding that against SS is dumb, and expecting him to develop those guys into great players is also dumb.
C) You're missing the point and possibly accusing this year's defense of being good. Either way, you're in left field.

No, it's not life or death. It's just waiting another decade for SU to be relevant again (3 years for a new offense and another 3+ years for an offense after that), and/or the possibility of SU giving up on football completely. This is a self inflicted wound.

Based on no factual information, Greg Robinson will go down as one of the worst coaches in the history of college football. Still to this day, I havent seen a football team so overmatched, unprepared, outschemed as what I witnessed in the Greg years. He single handedly took a ship that had a leak, and tore the entire bottom out of it.

What kills me about this move is that pretty much everyone agrees that SS can recruit and coach a defense, and that he's loyal to SU and passionate about the university. The three questions are A) can he hire staff B) can he develop talent, and C) can he put together an offense.

I don't think that he proved that he can hire a good staff, but I'm also not sure he was given a chance. The guys that he initially hired were all hired on short notice, and they were probably hired on a limited budge. We also went to a bowl in year #1, so it's not like he could cut them without trashing his reputation. Arguably, he could have cleaned house before this year, but once again, given the nature of how they were hired, that's easier said then done.

I also don't think that he proved that he could develop talent, but he wasn't really here long enough to say for sure. His guys really are freshmen and sophomores - unless you want to include his work as DC (if so, then arguably he proved that he could develop talent).

I'm also not entirely sure he proved that he can put together an offense. However, our points per game rank increased by 43 spots between this year and last, despite a comparable schedule. AND, he did that with a really, really young offense. In all likelihood, there would have been other size able jumps over the next two years from recruiting/player maturity alone. With those figures in mind, although I don't think that he "proved" anything for sure, I don't see how you can't tentatively give him the benefit of the doubt, contingent on future success.

IMHO, he wasn't given a real chance. His offense did improve (a LOT) and his defense was weak this year, but that was clearly bad luck, not his shortcomings (see his track record - even as HC).

I get that he's fired and that the SS ship has sailed and sunk, but given the above, I have serious doubts as to the AD's competency, and that ship is still very much in port. If he doesn't come up with one h*ck of a pick for a new fb coach that pans out, this is 100% on him.
I think there's a lot of disagreement that SS can recruit. We never got out of the very bottom of the ACC under his watch in that department, but if you think that's good...

nzm136 said:
A) If he did what you said, who would be dumb enough to work for him? B) No. He had 2 years to develop his guys. HCDM left really late in the year and that class was a scramble. Holding that against SS is dumb, and expecting him to develop those guys into great players is also dumb. C) You're missing the point and possibly accusing this year's defense of being good. Either way, you're in left field. No, it's not life or death. It's just waiting another decade for SU to be relevant again (3 years for a new offense and another 3+ years for an offense after that), and/or the possibility of SU giving up on football completely. This is a self inflicted wound.

Huh? He went 7-6 and if he needed better guys in his staff he should have gone and got them. Marrone fired underperforming coaches. It happens every year. It's happening as we speak.

On development, coaches don't get to just ignore the players they inherited. My point is that he had a roster full of players that he knew, part of the job is making them better as much as possible. The results were mixed.

And I'm in left field because the math shows that the O this year was below average? OK, consider me in left field then.

Look, we all get that you think firing Shafer was a mistake and Coyle is awful for doing it. We. All. Get. It.

A) If he did what you said, who would be dumb enough to work for him?
B) No. He had 2 years to develop his guys. HCDM left really late in the year and that class was a scramble. Holding that against SS is dumb, and expecting him to develop those guys into great players is also dumb.
C) You're missing the point and possibly accusing this year's defense of being good. Either way, you're in left field.

No, it's not life or death. It's just waiting another decade for SU to be relevant again (3 years for a new offense and another 3+ years for an offense after that), and/or the possibility of SU giving up on football completely. This is a self inflicted wound.

His OL coach quit to take a scout job after 2013 because McDonald was such a nightmare. He had a full on mutiny because McDonald couldn't function under pressure in 2014. That's why he demoted him mid season.

He wasn't decisive in cutting the cord in '13 and it cost him his job.

His OL coach quit to take a . . . . . job after 2013 because McDonald was such a nightmare. He had a full on mutiny because McDonald couldn't function under pressure in 2014. That's why he demoted him mid season.

He wasn't decisive in cutting the cord in '13 and it cost him his job.

Go - I forget.

Who was the OL in 2013?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom