When Kaleb had his mojo | Syracusefan.com

When Kaleb had his mojo

i find that tearing kids down publicly when they miss a toss is the best way to teach them to catch.

aaronandeli.jpg

instills a real love of the game.

What he needs is to play his arse off this summer against the best comp possible. I hope that we see him on some international team

How was the competition he was playing against up in NH? Just curious if anybody knows...

The one thing that stands out from the first video at least is how physically superior he is to his competition and how lackluster the defense was in a ton of those clips. This is not to take away from his talent in the least but merely to point out that he may just be suffering from a case of the 'holy crap I'm in a different league now!' I don't think it's that unusual. Inconvenient? Yes. Frustrating given how lucky we were with Ennis and MCW? Yes. But ultimately not that shocking.

jec1521 said:
How was the competition he was playing against up in NH? Just curious if anybody knows...

He played against a high level of prep school basketball at Cushing Academy.

Kevin Ollie was raving about him when he watched him play last year.

This has been a huge mystery to me, at least on offense, and JB said the same the other day on his radio show.

The biggest difference between those clips and his play this year: Confidence. Period. Next year he will be better.

Will he be as good as we need him to be? Time will tell, but he will definitely be better.

A couple of things really stick out on those highlight videos.
1. Close to everything he did was with the right hand. Dribbling, driving, shooting and even passing. He absolutely has to improve his left hand which has been mentioned here.
2. Very few catch and shoot jumpers and most are off the bounce which I still think winds up being a strength of his down the road. That said he needs to work on the catch and shoot 3 to at least keep teams honest and then drive by once he shoots well enough to force hard close outs.
3. Although he is a pretty good leaper he lacks over all strength and often you see him timing his steps and gathering to really explode. We have seen the results of this where he gets blocked because they know he's shooting with the right hand and he doesn't have the space or strength to hard and explode up. He really needs to get stronger all around which will help here.

SWC75 this reminds me a little bit of Mike's tapes when he transferred, it took him a season sitting out and then another 1.25 seasons to start doing the things he did on his high school tapes at this level. Kaleb needs a lot of work but at some point I expect he will start to be succeed at doing some of these things on this level.

He only scored 10 points against my prep school team and a couple assists. I wasnt impressed at all and said it on the board. Their best player was the 6'6 bruiser kid who went to Butler. Andrew Charabcz or whatever

I don't think Kaleb will be starting next year. One of the reasons is Tyus Battle. We know how heavily we are going after Battle, and we are in a good position, in part, because we want him as a lead guard. Having MG start at point guard next year means that both guard spots will be available the following year, likely to Battle and Richardson. Making for a very tall pair of guards at the top of the zone. However, if Kaleb is a two year incumbent starting point guard, does anyone think that JB is going to sit a two year starter? Potentially, if Kaleb were to start, Battle could play the off guard spot and Richardson the small forward, but I don't believe that is the plan.

We Are Syracuse said:
He only scored 10 points against my prep school team and a couple assists. I wasnt impressed at all and said it on the board. Their best player was the 6'6 bruiser kid who went to Butler. Andrew Charabcz or whatever

He scored 29 when I saw him and I was reasonably impressed. A friend of mine who reffed the game said, "That kid is a baller."

Keep in mind, I saw McCullough play twice and wasn't impressed either time.

orangefog said:
I don't think Kaleb will be starting next year. One of the reasons is Tyus Battle. We know how heavily we are going after Battle, and we are in a good position, in part, because we want him as a lead guard. Having MG start at point guard next year means that both guard spots will be available the following year, likely to Battle and Richardson. Making for a very tall pair of guards at the top of the zone. However, if Kaleb is a two year incumbent starting point guard, does anyone think that JB is going to sit a two year starter? Potentially, if Kaleb were to start, Battle could play the off guard spot and Richardson the small forward, but I don't believe that is the plan.

Sound reasoning, but we best hope we get Battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom