When was the Last time we had a Center/Power Forward Combo as good as Rak and Mc | Syracusefan.com

When was the Last time we had a Center/Power Forward Combo as good as Rak and Mc

strumpfasaurus

2nd String
I know its early but right now we got Rak averaging 15 and 9 and Mcc averaging 15 and 8. This is significantly better than the Rick/AO combo who averaged 7 and 10 and 10 and 5 respectively. If this keeps up and Cooney can hit his shots and Joseph develops like he should considering he is a freshman I think we can be a scary team come Marcy.

Probably AO and Wes. But Rak and Chris are doing major damage on a team where almost everyone else is struggling on offense. Last night they were also both very efficient offensively. When the offense starts coming together and Kaleb really gets it it will only get easier for these guys.

imo AO/Rick >> Rak/Cmac, at least right now. It's not just about offensive stats.

AO and Rick were also on a team with tons of other options, limiting opportunity.

Beat me too it. That AO/Rick/Wes/Kris front line was excellent in 09. As you mentioned though things were much more spread out offensively on that team as a well.

imo AO/Rick >> Rak/Cmac, at least right now. It's not just about offensive stats.
Are you getting Rick's senior year in this comp, or the Senior AO/Junior Rick Jackson combo? That matters a lot - right now I'd take both Rak and CMac over jr Rick.

AO's one of my all-time favorites, and is a guy I believe was severely underutilized, so I'm not sure on that one. I'd give the overall edge to Rak and CMac though. I think people are holding back on CMac. They shouldn't. He's awesome. Sure fire top 20 pick. Rak looks really, really good this year.I think he's going to give us 15 game all season.

I'll say Rak and CMac are our best center/pf combo since Etan and Blackwell.

Are you getting Rick's senior year in this comp, or the Senior AO/Junior Rick Jackson combo? That matters a lot - right now I'd take both Rak and CMac over jr Rick.

AO's one of my all-time favorites, and is a guy I believe was severely underutilized, so I'm not sure on that one. I'd give the overall edge to Rak and CMac though. I think people are holding back on CMac. They shouldn't. He's awesome. Sure fire top 20 pick. Rak looks really, really good this year.I think he's going to give us 15 game all season.

I agree that AO could have been used a lot more - but on that team in '09, we didn't need him to be. What made that year so great was how unselfish they all were. Everyone was capable of more, but seemed to recognize the team was better off with less. It made everyone better. Now that was a year that was fun to watch - offense seemed to always be clicking. The past two years - not so much.

I agree on McC as well - surprised a lot of people seem so reserved about his play. He could definitely use some more strength, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how complete his game seems for a frosh getting major minutes. The kid is shooting is 100%* from three!

(On one attempt)

I agree that AO could have been used a lot more - but on that team in '09, we didn't need him to be. What made that year so great was how unselfish they all were. Everyone was capable of more, but seemed to recognize the team was better off with less. It made everyone better. Now that was a year that was fun to watch - offense seemed to always be clicking. The past two years - not so much.

I agree on McC as well - surprised a lot of people seem so reserved about his play. He could definitely use some more strength, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how complete his game seems for a frosh getting major minutes. The kid is shooting is 100%* from three!

(On one attempt)
I think AO was used appropriately in 09-10 because we did have so many other scoring options.

Mostly I'm just remembering how often he posted up as a sophomore and junior and how rarely he saw the ball.

Because, yeah, if you're a guard shooting 40% you definitely don't want to feed your big shooting 70%.

I think AO was used appropriately in 09-10 because we did have so many other scoring options.

Mostly I'm just remembering how often he posted up as a sophomore and junior and how rarely he saw the ball.

Because, yeah, if you're a guard shooting 40% you definitely don't want to feed your big shooting 70%.

Concur 100% on the second line. Definitely felt at times he was underutilized early on. He was maybe the most unexpectedly good recruit I remember - maybe Moten. Moten was when I was super young though and didn't follow recruiting - I don't recall if he was highly rated or not. I didn't think Onuaku was going to be that solid or possess that much offensive game early on. (Not that he was a superstar, but was definitely a capable scorer from in close compared to the people that preceded him).

Closest thing to a true pf size with some range, warrick, and McCullough has more range.

Rak is our best dribbling big in a long time imo. he goes left, right tries to get around his man and leans to get a shot up like a true pf can instead of shooting jumpers over his man, good old fashion pf basketball. Just needs to keep his percentage high.

Our forwards are often interchangeable...but I'd go with 2010.

Usually our centers are Robin to our power forwards Batman; this year looks like CMac will be Rak's sidekick... Still, maybe by the end of the year, that could be reversed...

[QUOTE=" I think we can be a scary team come Marcy.[/QUOTE]

I know it's just a typo, but Marcy is a State Mental Hospital east of Syracuse. Let's hope it doesn't come to that for us SU diehards.

I know it's just a typo, but Marcy is a State Mental Hospital east of Syracuse. Let's hope it doesn't come to that for us SU diehards.[/QUOTE]

and troy nunes' beautiful busty squeeze.

as to the above post i'll take last years ' front court lineup over this one anyday and twice last thursday.

Concur 100% on the second line. Definitely felt at times he was underutilized early on. He was maybe the most unexpectedly good recruit I remember - maybe Moten. Moten was when I was super young though and didn't follow recruiting - I don't recall if he was highly rated or not.

Moten was actually better known as a football safety. People were wondering whether he could suit up for Coach P. Nobody expected him to score in such volume as a freshman!

If offense and defense are both considered, Christmas and Fab in 2012 were better than this duo.

But there's a whole season ahead of us. If McCullough can finish better and learn his side of the zone at least half-decently, this will be a good one. Hope the rest of the gang can raise its collective game to match.

I'd agree that I'm holding back on McCullough, if only because I fear that his weakness around the rim is going to lead to some 2-15 games this season. And if he's forced to play out of position at center a lot, it's going to hurt his development, especially on defense.

But he's very talented and I think his effort is good. Some of his finesse baskets were -- if a bit weak -- spectacular in the Iowa game.

Concur 100% on the second line. Definitely felt at times he was underutilized early on. He was maybe the most unexpectedly good recruit I remember - maybe Moten. Moten was when I was super young though and didn't follow recruiting - I don't recall if he was highly rated or not. I didn't think Onuaku was going to be that solid or possess that much offensive game early on. (Not that he was a superstar, but was definitely a capable scorer from in close compared to the people that preceded him).

And Rautins was in that class, too.

Those were players who were regarded as significantly worse recruits than anyone we've offered this decade, and they were more valuable than all but a half-dozen people who've played for us in the last 15 years.

Very good job by the coaching staff in finding and developing them.

And Rautins was in that class, too.
Those were players who were regarded as significantly worse recruits than anyone we've offered this decade, and they were more valuable than all but a half-dozen people who've played for us in the last 15 years.

Such a joy to watch that type of player develop. I still feel horrible for AO to suffer that quad injury. I'm convinced we win that NC with him. Without him we barely lost to Futler and look what they did. Watch that Gonzaga game in the 2nd round. Andy destroys them to start the half. Amazing how far he came in his 5 years.

Exit: check out St. Johns senior night as Andy shows his drive and dish over and over again.

Last edited:
Rak has developed some nice footwork it seems this offseason. That's been the biggest difference that I've noticed. If McC works on some footwork and handles, no joke, the kid could develop a very Durant-ish offensive game. Dude has some serious potential.

Such a joy to watch that type of player develop. I still feel horrible for AO to suffer that quad injury. I'm convinced we win that NC with him. Without him we barely lost to Futler and look what they did. Watch that Gonzaga game in the 2nd round. Andy destroys them to start the half. Amazing how far he came in his 5 years.

Exit: check out St. Johns senior night as Andy shows his drive and dish over and over again.

Concur. It really was fun watching the progression of Rautins, Onuaku, and that championship will always be the one that got away. No way to know if we win it all, but god, it would have been nice to find out. :(

Is CM's upside a better Warrick?

Is CM's upside a better Warrick?

At Cuse? No. Because he won't be here long enough to top what Warrick became(BE player of the year and 1st team AA)

But yeah, in the NBA I think he can be better than Warrick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom