Where are the WRs? | Syracusefan.com

Where are the WRs?

VirginiaOrange

2nd String
I don't get the lack of WRs over the last two cycles especially when the WRs on campus are not superstars. Ironic that when recruiting was terrible there were highly recruited WRs looking at and coming to SU and now that things on offense seem to be turning the staff is not leveraging the improvement into WRs.

I assume Womack stays at WR but beyond that there seems to be an odd lack of pursuing WRs. The QB recruiting has been very solid, RBs very solid, "hybrids" very solid, OL very solid in numbers and better size than in the past, TEs average but could get a huge boost soon.

Then there are the WRs. Ishmael in 2014 has not exploded onto the scene as expected. Custis? Probably not. Estime? He was 2013 and only has a year left. Avant? A 2013 recruit who has done nothing.

SU is attracting better offensive talent than they have in years but eventually you need speed and hands on the outside. I don't get the seeming lack of interest and/or urgency in the WR position. SU finally seems to be putting together an approach that works in the Dome and out and it has almost no decent WRs on the roster and has not added one in two years. Seems ridiculous that they can sell the offensive vision to everyone but WRs - assuming they are even targeting any WRs.

Anyone have any insight into the thinking here as I don't get it.

VirginiaOrange said:
I don't get the lack of WRs over the last two cycles especially when the WRs on campus are not superstars. Ironic that when recruiting was terrible there were highly recruited WRs looking at and coming to SU and now that things on offense seem to be turning the staff is not leveraging the improvement into WRs. I assume Womack stays at WR but beyond that there seems to be an odd lack of pursuing WRs. The QB recruiting has been very solid, RBs very solid, "hybrids" very solid, OL very solid in numbers and better size than in the past, TEs average but could get a huge boost soon. Then there are the WRs. Ishmael in 2014 has not exploded onto the scene as expected. Custis? Probably not. Estime? He was 2013 and only has a year left. Avant? A 2013 recruit who has done nothing. SU is attracting better offensive talent than they have in years but eventually you need speed and hands on the outside. I don't get the seeming lack of interest and/or urgency in the WR position. SU finally seems to be putting together an approach that works in the Dome and out and it has almost no decent WRs on the roster and has not added one in two years. Seems ridiculous that they can sell the offensive vision to everyone but WRs - assuming they are even targeting any WRs. Anyone have any insight into the thinking here as I don't get it.

Already have a WR commit for 2017, probable 4 star from FL.
In on some real studs for 2017.
Already have a 3 star for 2016 from NJ.
Playing one less true WR (no slot) - in favor of XB. So consider Moe Neal and the kid from GA as 2016 RB/slot WR.

There running with what they got plus Palmer in 2016 and then trying to get playmakers on the outside for 2017. If Estime and Ishmael stay healthy we are serviceable at WR for 2016. Gotta strike it rich in 17 tho.

2017 is going to be a huge year for WR recruiting. We've got one 4-star level talent already committed, and have two more (Juwan Burgess, Anthony White Jr) very, very, very interested. Not to mention local talent Noah Jordan-Williams.

I would bet anything we wind up with at least 2 of those, maybe even 3 of them (Jordan-Williams and White being my bets...Burgess feels like he's bound for Clemson, just a gut feeling).

We're stocking a lot of diverse talent at the h back spot. Being a cross over position one would think some could transition to wr or rb from that spot as roster dictates. It really is a good position to learn the entire playbook and have a base understanding of routes and running plays.

Noah has thought about pulling the trigger a few times in the last few weeks I know he is seriously considering it with the amount of love the coaches are showing him.

This is a must, when we have this kind of talent in our own backyard we must do everything to keep him here. He had to grow up an Orange fan and has wanted to play here (assumption, I don't know).

As for the last couple of years in regards to the WR position, there are several reasons why you haven't seen it pan out. First of all, the play calling last year sucked and did not put our receivers in a position to excel. We also had Corey Cooper, KJ Williams who were supposed to be studs coming out of high school that never made it here. We also did not have anyone who could truly get the ball out to the receivers on a consistent basis. I truly believe that we will start to garner more attention from the offensively skilled players as they see what Lester's offense does this year and next; especially with having a QB that can run that system. Like many people have said on here, it is a good time to be Orange!!!

I don't get the lack of WRs over the last two cycles especially when the WRs on campus are not superstars. Ironic that when recruiting was terrible there were highly recruited WRs looking at and coming to SU and now that things on offense seem to be turning the staff is not leveraging the improvement into WRs.

I assume Womack stays at WR but beyond that there seems to be an odd lack of pursuing WRs. The QB recruiting has been very solid, RBs very solid, "hybrids" very solid, OL very solid in numbers and better size than in the past, TEs average but could get a huge boost soon.

Then there are the WRs. Ishmael in 2014 has not exploded onto the scene as expected. Custis? Probably not. Estime? He was 2013 and only has a year left. Avant? A 2013 recruit who has done nothing.

SU is attracting better offensive talent than they have in years but eventually you need speed and hands on the outside. I don't get the seeming lack of interest and/or urgency in the WR position. SU finally seems to be putting together an approach that works in the Dome and out and it has almost no decent WRs on the roster and has not added one in two years. Seems ridiculous that they can sell the offensive vision to everyone but WRs - assuming they are even targeting any WRs.

I have nothing to add to this post other than it being incredibly and unfairly harsh.

This is a must, when we have this kind of talent in our own backyard we must do everything to keep him here. He had to grow up an Orange fan and has wanted to play here (assumption, I don't know).

As for the last couple of years in regards to the WR position, there are several reasons why you haven't seen it pan out. First of all, the play calling last year sucked and did not put our receivers in a position to excel. We also had Corey Cooper, KJ Williams who were supposed to be studs coming out of high school that never made it here. We also did not have anyone who could truly get the ball out to the receivers on a consistent basis. I truly believe that we will start to garner more attention from the offensively skilled players as they see what Lester's offense does this year and next; especially with having a QB that can run that system. Like many people have said on here, it is a good time to be Orange!!!

Corey Cooper made it and transferred out.

Are you trolling?

Ishmael has not exploded onto the scene? He's caught everything that's been throw at him.

We have 1 WR in the fold and the recruiting season still has 4 months to go.

Are you trolling?

Ishmael has not exploded onto the scene? He's caught everything that's been throw at him.

Facts have no place in an irrational rant.

XB - Moe Neal (this is like a fancy slot receiver)
WR - Sadiq Palmer
XB/CB - Darius Stubbs

WR - Daewood Davis (committed)
WR - Noah Jordan-Williams
WR - Juwan Burgess
WR - Anthony White, Jr.

I'd say the staff knows what they are doing and they think the cupboard will be full. Do you think they are just sitting around and finally have that Redd's Apple Ale moment and say, "Oh shitt, we need another WR for 2016!! Eric, get after it!")

No, they have a pretty good recruiting plan/strategy and know what they need/want. Think of it like a recruiting war room.

XB - Moe Neal (this is like a fancy slot receiver)
WR - Sadiq Palmer
XB/CB - Darius Stubbs

WR - Daewood Davis (committed)
WR - Noah Jordan-Williams
WR - Juwan Burgess
WR - Anthony White, Jr.

I'd say the staff knows what they are doing and they think the cupboard will be full. Do you think they are just sitting around and finally have that Redd's Apple Ale moment and say, "Oh shitt, we need another WR for 2016!! Eric, get after it!")

No, they have a pretty good recruiting plan/strategy and know what they need/want. Think of it like a recruiting war room.
Yep. Next year's roster will feature:

SR Estime
SR Lewis
SR Cornelius
JR Ishmael
JR Custis
JR Philips
SO Enoicy
SO Womack
SO Perkins
SO Strickland
FR Palmer

I'm obviously counting hybrids as receivers here since, so far, that's primarily what they've been (we'll see if that changes at all with Philips back). That's 11 "receivers" and I'm not even counting tight ends. How many pass catchers do we need out of our 85 roster spots, really?

Are you trolling?

Despite the inconsistency at the QB position last year and having 6 different QB's throw passes in games in the short time he's been here.

Let's forget the H, or XB, for a second.

This offense in its base set only features 2 true WR, 4 typically if you factor in substitutions and/or rotation on gameday. Add in the occasional package for Custis or Enoicy and you've pretty much got a max of 5 that will see any reps on Saturday.

The Trips look has still shown the H/XB in the slot.

We lose zero (0) WR's this season. Have one WR and one H/XB committed for 2016.

2017 will most likely consist of at least 2 WR and 1 H/XB.

In 2016, barring injuries, we'll have a minimum of 8 WR's for 2 slots. And that's if, IF, nobody gets moved from H/XB to WR. Which given the #'s is probably a realistic scenario.

It simply does not make sense to dedicate more scholarships to a position group that only constitutes 2 starting positions.

Last edited:
Let's forget the H, or XB, for a second.

This offense in its base set only features 2 true WR, 4 typically if you factor in substitutions and/or rotation on gameday. Add in the occasional package for Custis or Enoicy and you've pretty much got a max of 5 that will see any reps on Saturday.

The Trips look has still shown the H/XB in the slot.

We lose zero (0) WR's this season. Have one WR and one H/XB committed for 2016.

2017 will most likely consist of at least 2 WR and 1 H/XB.

In 2016, barring injuries, we'll have a minimum of 7 WR's for 2 slots. And that's if, IF, nobody gets moved from H/XB to WR. Which given the #'s is probably a realistic scenario.

It simply does not make sense to dedicate more scholarships to a position group that only constitutes 2 starting positions.
What he said.

Just once or twice I want this set on the field

ISH ERV ENOICY LIIIIIIINEEEEE STRICK ESTIME
Dungey

Just once or twice I want this set on the field

ISH ERV ENOICY LIIIIIIINEEEEE STRICK ESTIME
Dungey
Nice. That might work with one of Erv or Strickland coming out of the backfield as well, unless that is what you meant.

Yep. Next year's roster will feature:

SR Estime
SR Lewis
SR Cornelius
JR Ishmael
JR Custis
JR Philips
SO Enoicy
SO Womack
SO Perkins
SO Strickland
FR Palmer

I'm obviously counting hybrids as receivers here since, so far, that's primarily what they've been (we'll see if that changes at all with Philips back). That's 11 "receivers" and I'm not even counting tight ends. How many pass catchers do we need out of our 85 roster spots, really?

giphy.gif

one meeeeeeeelllliiiiooooooooon WRs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom