which 5 do you expect to be the most effective this year? | Syracusefan.com

which 5 do you expect to be the most effective this year?

Shark58

BANNED
which 5 players, when on the court together, do you think will be the most effective lineup?

by the end of the season I'm gonna go with g and Mal in the backcourt, Robe and new Tyler on the wings and DC2 in the middle (assuming he makes it to the end of the season)

your turn...

giphy.gif

I'm going with this, I think Kaleb turns the corner and think the lineup with him changing spots with Richardson works well too.

I hope that he has turned the corner too, so G can play more on the wing. my feeling that in crunch time, it will be G at the point.

Its never been this Easy.
Kaleb, Cooney,Gbinije,Roberson,Coleman.
I agree with this. I will predict that Lydon has a better frosh year than Richardson as well.

Not a dig at Malachi. Lydon is just more ready, I think, and he doesn't have a really experienced player that can't play another position blocking him.

I see Lydon getting minutes at both forward positions. I think his presence and success at SF (along with Swag G) is going to limit Malachi to playing almost exclusively at SG.

First choice:
KJ
Taters
G
TR
DC2

Would love to see a little more height with:
G
Shaky
Lydon
TR
DC2

Lydon might just prove himself worthy of a start if he rebounds like I think he can. For a thin frontcourt player, this kid can rebound in traffic! Let's see if it holds up on this level, but if we do decide to go small and 3 guard, still an outside shot Malachi ends up starting if KJ struggles. Not likely though, in my opinion.

Lots of Ifs! I counted 5.

This is a pretty tough question to answer. We know Coleman has to be in that group at this point because there is no one else. Mike IMO is going to be the best all around performer on the team this year so I'm also considering him to be in that group. Cooney is a 5th year senior who played tons of minutes last year, JB loves to play his seniors so it would follow that he would be in that group. I am very interested to see what happens when Cooney struggles or gets tired this year because we have a guard in Richards who can replace his shooting which has not been the case the last couple of seasons. Also considering that Mike can play 3 positions and both forwards can play either the 3 or the 4 there are a lot of lineups that we could see.

All that said the starters will be KJ, TC, MG, TR, DC2 and that is also the most likely crunch time lineup.

Something else no one has really brought up. If Kaleb makes a big jump we could see him alongside Mike in the backcourt with both Tyler's in the frontcourt. I highly doubt that we see a ton of that but it could be very effective against a defenses that is playing tight man.

Any answer with Kaleb in it is wrong. IMO.
He was not the best PG on the team last year, and the best one is back, plus they added another PG

Coondog
Mali
Silent G
Lydon
Roberson

Would be fun, ala Illinois circa 89/90 - best 5 athletes. Won't happen except maybe vs. LeMoyne or Colgate.

Something else no one has really brought up. If Kaleb makes a big jump we could see him alongside Mike in the backcourt with both Tyler's in the frontcourt. I highly doubt that we see a ton of that but it could be very effective against a defenses that is playing tight man.
Good point.

I like the idea of Mike uptop to pressure defend some as well.

Don't sleep on Howard if hes ready for the speed of the game, he really could suprise. He really has all the tools.
I wouldn't be suprised to see run Kaleb, Howard, Mike, and Cooney/Lydon for even more dribble penetration.
Howard has the dribble drive, he begins his shots shoulder level and waist level, he has a nice floater, has shown glimpses of outstretched arm lefthand finishes around the rim, a quick understanding of ball movement in the paint, and he welcomes bumping in the paint on his floater/layups
I see him as a IQ type player as well. Hes going to be a real real solid upperclassmen for us I think.

The bigs need to work on recovering baseline with their back to the ball and lateral defense. They are physical rebounders its nice knowing we have two physical rebounding centers. under the rim.

For Malachi the biggest question is the speed of the game.

I think Lydon is our 6th man I just don't know how yet.

Last edited:
jordoo said:

If teams play us like they did last year, if Trevor comes out they go zone.

I remember when we were considering Jerami Grant for Center a couple years ago. He is up to 6'8 210 now.

As of last year Roberson was 6'8 212, and he looks to have put ALOT more muscle on.
I wonder if he could be closer to 6'8 220 this year. Now if he can improve on his elbow Jumper :)

Last edited:
Offensively:
Kaleb
Gbinije
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman

Defensively:
Cooney
Gbinije
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman

I agree with this. I will predict that Lydon has a better frosh year than Richardson as well.

Not a dig at Malachi. Lydon is just more ready, I think, and he doesn't have a really experienced player that can't play another position blocking him.

I see Lydon getting minutes at both forward positions. I think his presence and success at SF (along with Swag G) is going to limit Malachi to playing almost exclusively at SG.
Could not possibly agree more with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom