Who do we close with?

Discussion in 'Football Recruiting Forum' started by kcsu, Jan 1, 2017.

1. kcsu

kcsu All American

Dino stated that the game is won or lost in the trenches. Looking at this years class we seem light at OL but especially at DT. With 4 or so open scholarships left are we in play with any interior players on either side?

2. tipphill

tipphill Starter

i raised that same issue a while back. that recruiting needed to focus on the both lines. i was informed then that we had several redshirt lineman who sat out last year. that said i still agree with you. we go nowhere w/o these guys. we need the beef, not undersized guys.

Ish88888 likes this.
  3. kcsu

kcsu All American

Agreed. I like the two OL and one DT commits but would like at least one more DT . speculation is that Ruff and possibly Pickard move inside which would help. Hope we close with some lineman.

4. tipphill

tipphill Starter

i hope
    nothing but big ol and big and fast dl

5. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

Our OL numbers are good, bunch of rising sophomores, another 5 kids who redshirted, two on board in the current class and we're pushing for a third.

DT is where we're hurting. I expected 2 or 3 in the class we have 1.

Clemson is 8 deep and a solid 4 man rotation.

kcsu and SUskibum like this.
  6. SoBristol

SoBristol All Conference

Check the threads on Brandon Berry (JC DE) and Alex Palczewski (OT), both likely to visit in late January. Apart from those two, are there any likely visits from linemen before signing day?

Fortunately, Dino's 2016 class had a number of DL who contributed as true frosh and 4 red-shirting OL who might push the returning starters.

7. blizz

blizz Scout Team

Agree that we should take one more DT this class, you almost have to. Lots of difficulty here in that the 2017 class is widely seen as being weak at DT, and taking a JUCO doesn't help the numbers long term unless they shirt next year. You'd still be stuck having to take 2 (possibly 3) next cycle. Moving someone inside right now isn't great either as the numbers there are still thin and very young, and I don't see anyone there (at end) right now who is or could grow into a natural 3. Will be interesting to see what happens.

8. kcsu

kcsu All American

We have 5 or more openings. Who do we close with?

9. florange44

florange44 Walk On

We need a RB badly, preferably a grad transfer. We only have Strick there assuming Neal moves to slot. Mackenzie seems like the real deal and Stirtzinger seems fine but we can't depend on a freshman to be the #2 back. BJ Daniels is not coming. He'll either de commit to USF (if Strong will have him) or he'll not make grade or he'll do something to get his school pulled between now and summer. Bank on it.

That's 3 backs total and 2 are freshmen. And none are power backs either. Dino will address this somehow.

Florange44

Toga likes this.
  10. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

the lack of news around uncommitted visitors leaves too much guessing.

The fact we’re slow playing Berry makes me think there are other fish.

11. LeMoyneCuse

LeMoyneCuse All Conference

There are so many questions that influence what the recruiting plan is.

Will Ruff and/or Pickard move inside, which means we bring in another DE, or does another DT join the fold?

Is there a replacement for the void that AET is leaving? If not, will we see another grad transfer at WR?

What's the plan at RB? Is Strickland moving? What's the depth situation there? Will we see a more experienced RB join the fold because of this?

How many more young guys will be joining, versus buttresses to help young guys develop?

PhatOrange and RF2044 like this.
  12. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

wasnt the FR a #2 back this year?

LeMoyneCuse likes this.
  13. PAcuse

PAcuse Starter

Yes

14. CbusCuse

CbusCuse Scout Team

Yes but to mixed results. It does seem like a lot for frosh to handle considering they need to make the OL calls. I like Mcrkenzie as a prospect and it does seem like he may be a guy that can handle it though.

15. LeMoyneCuse

LeMoyneCuse All Conference

I know you have connections, but that's an awfully strong statement.

bnoro likes this.
  16. florange44

florange44 Walk On

I actually hope I'm wrong on this one, but there are too many red flags. He's actively telling people he's going to decommit. I heard the score he needs to qualify too - not gonna happen. Plus he has Legal issues too.

It's a shame. He's a good kid down deep. Just no guidance growing up. That's why he is in the situation. It seems to me he is more likely a JUCO kid. Hopefully he can mature and get his act together in those 2 years.

There are role models in his neighborhood. Reggie Nelson is a 10 year pro and a pro bowler this year grew up down the street. So did Marcus Maye, a top 30 draft pick this year out of University of Florida. BJ sees that it can be done, just needs help to stay the course.

I hope he succeeds whatever path he takes.

Florange44

17. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

I would have to believe the staff isn't blind to these red flags and is probably very aware of all of the above. If they aren't then shame on them, but I'd believe they either have a contingency plan or are actively recruiting over him as is.

RMH44 likes this.
  18. RMH44

RMH44 All American

I wonder if the staff is considering moving Perkins back to RB. IMO, he's not a good fit at WR.

19. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

perkins does make you wonder.. he seemed to be a good fit at RB

20. Dmcnabbrules

Dmcnabbrules Starter

Try Shy at running back.

SUskibum likes this.