Who do we close with? | Syracusefan.com

Who do we close with?

kcsu

Living Legend
Dino stated that the game is won or lost in the trenches. Looking at this years class we seem light at OL but especially at DT. With 4 or so open scholarships left are we in play with any interior players on either side?

Dino stated that the game is won or lost in the trenches. Looking at this years class we seem light at OL but especially at DT. With 4 or so open scholarships left are we in play with any interior players on either side?
i raised that same issue a while back. that recruiting needed to focus on the both lines. i was informed then that we had several redshirt lineman who sat out last year. that said i still agree with you. we go nowhere w/o these guys. we need the beef, not undersized guys.

i raised that same issue a while back. that recruiting needed to focus on the both lines. i was informed then that we had several redshirt lineman who sat out last year. that said i still agree with you. we go nowhere w/o these guys. we need the beef, not undersized guys.
Agreed. I like the two OL and one DT commits but would like at least one more DT . speculation is that Ruff and possibly Pickard move inside which would help. Hope we close with some lineman.

i hope
Agreed. I like the two OL and one DT commits but would like at least one more DT . speculation is that Ruff and possibly Pickard move inside which would help. Hope we close with some lineman.
nothing but big ol and big and fast dl

Our OL numbers are good, bunch of rising sophomores, another 5 kids who redshirted, two on board in the current class and we're pushing for a third.

DT is where we're hurting. I expected 2 or 3 in the class we have 1.

Clemson is 8 deep and a solid 4 man rotation.

Check the threads on Brandon Berry (JC DE) and Alex Palczewski (OT), both likely to visit in late January. Apart from those two, are there any likely visits from linemen before signing day?

Fortunately, Dino's 2016 class had a number of DL who contributed as true frosh and 4 red-shirting OL who might push the returning starters.

Agree that we should take one more DT this class, you almost have to. Lots of difficulty here in that the 2017 class is widely seen as being weak at DT, and taking a JUCO doesn't help the numbers long term unless they shirt next year. You'd still be stuck having to take 2 (possibly 3) next cycle. Moving someone inside right now isn't great either as the numbers there are still thin and very young, and I don't see anyone there (at end) right now who is or could grow into a natural 3. Will be interesting to see what happens.

We have 5 or more openings. Who do we close with?

We have 5 or more openings. Who do we close with?

We need a RB badly, preferably a grad transfer. We only have Strick there assuming Neal moves to slot. Mackenzie seems like the real deal and Stirtzinger seems fine but we can't depend on a freshman to be the #2 back. BJ Daniels is not coming. He'll either de commit to USF (if Strong will have him) or he'll not make grade or he'll do something to get his school pulled between now and summer. Bank on it.

That's 3 backs total and 2 are freshmen. And none are power backs either. Dino will address this somehow.

Florange44

the lack of news around uncommitted visitors leaves too much guessing.

The fact we’re slow playing Berry makes me think there are other fish.

There are so many questions that influence what the recruiting plan is.

Will Ruff and/or Pickard move inside, which means we bring in another DE, or does another DT join the fold?

Is there a replacement for the void that AET is leaving? If not, will we see another grad transfer at WR?

What's the plan at RB? Is Strickland moving? What's the depth situation there? Will we see a more experienced RB join the fold because of this?

How many more young guys will be joining, versus buttresses to help young guys develop?

wasnt the FR a #2 back this year?
Yes but to mixed results. It does seem like a lot for frosh to handle considering they need to make the OL calls. I like Mcrkenzie as a prospect and it does seem like he may be a guy that can handle it though.

BJ Daniels is not coming. He'll either de commit to USF (if Strong will have him) or he'll not make grade or he'll do something to get his school pulled between now and summer. Bank on it.
I know you have connections, but that's an awfully strong statement.

I know you have connections, but that's an awfully strong statement.

I actually hope I'm wrong on this one, but there are too many red flags. He's actively telling people he's going to decommit. I heard the score he needs to qualify too - not gonna happen. Plus he has Legal issues too.

It's a shame. He's a good kid down deep. Just no guidance growing up. That's why he is in the situation. It seems to me he is more likely a JUCO kid. Hopefully he can mature and get his act together in those 2 years.

There are role models in his neighborhood. Reggie Nelson is a 10 year pro and a pro bowler this year grew up down the street. So did Marcus Maye, a top 30 draft pick this year out of University of Florida. BJ sees that it can be done, just needs help to stay the course.

I hope he succeeds whatever path he takes.

Florange44

I actually hope I'm wrong on this one, but there are too many red flags. He's actively telling people he's going to decommit. I heard the score he needs to qualify too - not gonna happen. Plus he has Legal issues too.

It's a shame. He's a good kid down deep. Just no guidance growing up. That's why he is in the situation. It seems to me he is more likely a JUCO kid. Hopefully he can mature and get his act together in those 2 years.

There are role models in his neighborhood. Reggie Nelson is a 10 year pro and a pro bowler this year grew up down the street. So did Marcus Maye, a top 30 draft pick this year out of University of Florida. BJ sees that it can be done, just needs help to stay the course.

I hope he succeeds whatever path he takes.

Florange44

I would have to believe the staff isn't blind to these red flags and is probably very aware of all of the above. If they aren't then shame on them, but I'd believe they either have a contingency plan or are actively recruiting over him as is.

There are so many questions that influence what the recruiting plan is.

Will Ruff and/or Pickard move inside, which means we bring in another DE, or does another DT join the fold?

Is there a replacement for the void that AET is leaving? If not, will we see another grad transfer at WR?

What's the plan at RB? Is Strickland moving? What's the depth situation there? Will we see a more experienced RB join the fold because of this?

How many more young guys will be joining, versus buttresses to help young guys develop?
I wonder if the staff is considering moving Perkins back to RB. IMO, he's not a good fit at WR.

perkins does make you wonder.. he seemed to be a good fit at RB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom