Who got the apple tv? | Syracusefan.com

Who got the apple tv?

pearl31

in cahoots
I got the apple tv and just tonight noticed that there's an ACC Sports icon on the main menu - went in there and there's all kinds of highlights and other video clips for all the teams in the conference... anyone know if they're gonna have live games on that badboy for the upcoming season??

*prepares to have conversation with self*
ugh just did some research and apparently this ACC digital sports network via apple tv is for highlights only - no actual games, at least not yet :bang:

ugh just did some research and apparently this ACC digital sports network via apple tv is for highlights only - no actual games, at least not yet :bang:

It' Comming?

I had Apple, gave to son. Me like Roku better. Pearl there was a thread started by me maybe 9 months ago on Apple/Roku, etc

Actually just picked up the Amazon Fire TV. Should be getting it today. It also has WatchESPN, however no ESPN3. I have one of those providers that is signed up with ESPN3, but not Watch ESPN :(

It wouldn't be surprising to see Apple use some of it's stash of cash to acquire rights - even exclusivity - for sports and other live events.
That's really the last remaining avenue to generate large TV audiences.
And it's about time Apple did something with it's TV product(s).

I got it last year just in time for basketball season. You'll get every game (via the Watch ESPN app) that isn't on CBS. This includes the ACC Network games. If you miss any games and you can play them back any time, saving lots of DVR space. This is vastly superior to my old routine of buying ESPN Full Court for 100 bucks/season, then missing several that weren't on their schedule and settling for standard def on the ones that were.

I think someone was on here a while ago on a different thread that said the acc is trying to acquire rights to put playbacks of old games on this. No idea if it's close, but you can watch past Syracuse games on watch espn.

Just seems odd to me, or maybe "what's the point?", to launch this thing and advertise it as some great new partnership when all it is is highlights and video clips. Hopefully it'll evolve into actual live games. Sometime.

pearl31 said:
Just seems odd to me, or maybe "what's the point?", to launch this thing and advertise it as some great new partnership when all it is is highlights and video clips. Hopefully it'll evolve into actual live games. Sometime.

E3 is going to start showing just about every SU Olympic sport beginning in the fall.

It's just an app for smart tv's. It is not exclusive to apple in any way. My Panasonic has it. If you'll notice there are scads of apps on the smart tvs that range from mildly useful to laughably inane. I think this is just a case of the ACC checking the box that, yes we have a smart TV app, or maybe they are using to learn a little about the process or get a toe into the water for future stuff. Everything that is on that ACC app is also on Youtube under the user name ACC Digital Network.

I would read exactly nothing into the goodness or badness of that app, you sure as heck won't be getting any content on it that they could charge you for in another situation.

You will go insane watching all the commercials that are required just to watch a 2 minute highlight package.
yep, that's another thing I encountered

I had Apple, gave to son. Me like Roku better. Pearl there was a thread started by me maybe 9 months ago on Apple/Roku, etc
High five on the Roku love. I love my Roku also. Roku people are the best people. You know what this means, Mark? We're BRokus now.

jekelish said:
High five on the Roku love. I love my Roku also. Roku people are the best people. You know what this means, Mark? We're BRokus now.

Don't want to step on your brokumance, but roku is the freaking best. Love it

I got the apple tv and just tonight noticed that there's an ACC Sports icon on the main menu - went in there and there's all kinds of highlights and other video clips for all the teams in the conference... anyone know if they're gonna have live games on that badboy for the upcoming season??

I didn't know Apple made TVs. I have a big screen Sony that's pretty good.

Dave85, Apple TV is just a device you use to stream Internet content to your "Dumb TV". BTW, skip the Smart TV and hook up with broku3. Chicks dig guys with Brokus.

orange79 said:
Threesome!

No offense to jeke and mark, but not exactly the two I would choose for such a thing!

We have both Apple TV and Roku and very much prefer Roku.

Definitely a first world problem, but would recommend Roku, as others have.

MikeSU02 said:
We have both Apple TV and Roku and very much prefer Roku. Definitely a first world problem, but would recommend Roku, as others have.
One other note, Apple TV is great if you are all in in the Apple ecosystem and use iPads or iPhones, etc. Roku, at least for the time being, allows you to access Amazon via the home screen. If you have Amazon Prime, it's great. But for overall user interface and ease of use, I much prefer Roku.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom