Class of 2015 - Who in the incoming freshmen class has a shot to be most excited about? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Who in the incoming freshmen class has a shot to be most excited about?

CaliCuse

All American
Scoring lately in big games has been lacking soI'm presuming that one of these kids are going to help a great deal in the 2015-2016 season. Lydon seems like he could contribute from beyond the stripe.

Howard can play, there's no denying that. But if I were to guess who would succeed most as a scorer/shooter, top ceiling, it would be Richardson. They all have promise and anyone and all of these guys could end up studs.
I agree. However, I hope Howard grows into a ball handler whose size causes mismatches and draws defenders to leave open shooters like Malachi or Tyler, while also giving potential dishes to Moose, Beast or Dejuan.

Granted we have a few more years with my boy Kaleb, I always get very excited with multi talented long athletic guards like Franklin Howard.

I feel Frank will surprise people the same way CJ did his freshman yr. Quality play and poise as a frosh that will want everyone wanting more. Immeadiate impact guy will be Mali and/or Bryant. ..if and when he comes.

Diagne has the best chance to contribute as a Freshman, unless any of the rest are off he charts. Cooney and MG will get most of the time at SG and SF, it will be a matter of available playing time. If Chris M stays and Coleman recovers their will not be a lot of playing time to go around for Freshman. It is the way Coach B rolls.

If you're talking about shooting... Malachi is the guy. I am most excited about him.

But all of them are going to be great players.

I assume.
Iwasn't really clear on Malachi's ability but playing the SF spot was kind of a surprise. I though he was going to the point where his height at the top of the zone could be an advantage We still need Bryant to lift this team to the top next year. I presume if he was "the silent verbal"
I feel Frank will surprise people the same way CJ did his freshman yr. Quality play and poise as a frosh that will want everyone wanting more. Immeadiate impact guy will be Mali and/or Bryant. ..if and when he comes.
When he comes sounds a bit more positive than if. If he was the silent verbal alluded to earlier this year i.e. that news would have been out by now so I doubt if it was ever him bt no other 2015 name has shot to the forefront.

I am quite excited about the entire class. The question is who will get early opportunities.

The backcourt will be crowded w returnees. It is hard to see Trevor and G losing minutes to a frosh. Kaleb could be vulnerable if he doesn't progress fast enough. I would like to see Richardson as an instant O off the bench guy as a frosh, and maybe he will get some decent run if we see too much of "bad" Trevor. Regardless, he is being groomed to be the starting 2g as a soph. Howard is still the mystery man to me as to how quickly he might fit in. He looks like he might be more athletic than is Kaleb - if he can protect the ball well enough he just might get some minutes as either the starting or backup PG.

Diagne may have an opportunity to start. Depends upon how Coleman looks when he comes back, whether or not McC returns, and whether or not we get Bryant. I could see him on one hand as the starting center and on the other hand as the third center. Not sure about him as a forward.

Lydon - I really like this kid, if he can shoot from trey range he could find some minutes, but more likely he will need a year to work on his strength. If McC returns, maybe he takes a shirt since minutes might be limited for him behind McC, Roberson, BJ, and maybe G in the forward spots.

So all in all, I expect this to be a very successful class, but I do not see a clearcut role for any of them as a frosh unless somebody really explodes and beats out returning upperclassmen.

I'm really kind of hoping that Malachi can have a similar role to devin booker on UK. Someone who can come off the bench and make an immediate impact on the offensive side with straight buckets (mostly tre balls) :)

Actually, the entire class is filled with shot makers [including Diagne].

Richardson is not just a shooter, he's also a scorer. Frank is great in the lane scoring the basketball. Lydon is a versatile offensive weapon. And Diagne has fantastic low post moves for a high school prospect.

IMO, this class will bring us a much needed infusion of natural scoring ability, after a couple of lean years of anemic offensive play. Not that it will connect for all these players at once, but each member of the class 0f 2015 can fill it up.

If Richardson chooses to stay any length of time longer than one year... becomes the recognizable face of the program among the players.

I'm going to be stupid and 1) assume they all stay at least 3 and 2) they all progress like I hope they will in which case SU has the potential to be a top national heavyweight for a couple of seasons.

Mal, Diange and Byrant are the star potential. Howard has to become a super solid PG option. New Tyler is that difference maker player who can take a star team to the next level.

I like how we always talk about kids getting stronger, but our kids almost always seem to end up skinny

I like how we always talk about kids getting stronger, but our kids almost always seem to end up skinny
I think thats kind of a result of the type of players we recruit. We need long armed nimble players for the zone to be effective, and that same trait almost always ensures we don't have muscular looking players.

Bryant is the guy I'm most excited about because he makes the difference for next years team which will lose Rakeem. At this point although its a long shot I wouldn't be too shocked if Bryant was our only new starter next season. We would of course have a stacked bench then.

Bryant is the guy I'm most excited about because he makes the difference for next years team which will lose Rakeem. At this point although its a long shot I wouldn't be too shocked if Bryant was our only new starter next season. We would of course have a stacked bench then.
If he is our only new starter we would have the most depth in Cuse history and I think possibly one of the best teams in the nation. Of course it is also the hardest part of the zone to play so we may see a few quick hooks as well as some What loses. Only problem is that means either someone will be transferring or Coleman's health is not good enough for him to come back.

Starters:
Joseph(So)
Cooney(rSr)
Gbinije(rSr)
McCullough(So)
Bryant(Fr)

Bench:
Roberson(Jr)
Patterson(Jr)
Johnson(Jr) Most likely transfer candidate
Coleman(rJr) Health concerns
Obokoh(Jr?)
Richardson(Fr)
Diagne(Fr)
Lydon(Fr) Redshirt candidate
Howard(Fr) Redshirt candidate

The numbers always work themselves out but needless to say this may be the most talent in terms of depth we may have ever had and I can't wait to see it all play out.

If he is our only new starter we would have the most depth in Cuse history and I think possibly one of the best teams in the nation. Of course it is also the hardest part of the zone to play so we may see a few quick hooks as well as some What loses. Only problem is that means either someone will be transferring or Coleman's health is not good enough for him to come back.

Starters:
Joseph(So)
Cooney(rSr)
Gbinije(rSr)
McCullough(So)
Bryant(Fr)

Bench:
Roberson(Jr)
Patterson(Jr)
Obokoh(Jr?)
Richardson(Fr)
Diagne(Fr)

The numbers always work themselves out but needless to say this may be the most talent in terms of depth we may have ever had and I can't wait to see it all play out.

I don't think Howard would redshirt as I see him being the backup PG, Ron just isn't at this point and we are seeing that MikeG is best as a SF. Lydon quite possibly could however.

Obviously there is a numbers problem if Chris were to come back and I'm still guessing he is gone at this point although obviously JB wants him back and wants Bryant which makes me think things will work out fine.

I feel really bad for DC2 and JB was saying that he hasn't been able to put 3/4 good practices together in a row without pain/swelling. (some reading between the lines there) If that is the case he will redshirt this year but what happens if that doesn't change before the season is over? If he still can't participate full time in practice he may be done.

The other possibility is a transfer which you just never know about.

I see it like this if Chris is back:

Joseph/Howard
Cooney/Richardson
MikeG/BJ-Richardson
Chris/Roberson/Diange
Bryant/Diange

DC2? Ron?

I don't think Howard would redshirt as I see him being the backup PG, Ron just isn't at this point and we are seeing that MikeG is best as a SF. Lydon quite possibly could however.

Obviously there is a numbers problem if Chris were to come back and I'm still guessing he is gone at this point although obviously JB wants him back and wants Bryant which makes me think things will work out fine.

I feel really bad for DC2 and JB was saying that he hasn't been able to put 3/4 good practices together in a row without pain/swelling. (some reading between the lines there) If that is the case he will redshirt this year but what happens if that doesn't change before the season is over? If he still can't participate full time in practice he may be done.

Joseph/Howard
Cooney/Richardson
MikeG/BJ-Richardson
Chris/Roberson/Diange
Bryant/Diange

DC2? Ron?
Ron is not a PG in the traditional sense, but I feel like unless Howard really comes in and wows the staff then he will sit behind someone with some college level experience running the show. I'm a huge Howard fan and hope he cracks the rotation, but we have five other guys fighting for guard minutes and he may be at the bottom of the totem pole for the time being.

Ron is not a PG in the traditional sense, but I feel like unless Howard really comes in and wows the staff then he will sit behind someone with some college level experience running the show. I'm a huge Howard fan and hope he cracks the rotation, but we have five other guys fighting for guard minutes and he may be at the bottom of the totem pole for the time being.

I highly doubt we will have 5 guys fighting for guard minutes. The last time we had 5 legit guards one redshirted (he is now the strating 2g) and one played sparingly before blowing up as a Sophmore and then becoming NBA ROTY. 4 is the limit for JB with guards IMO and likely one gets limited minutes as the season deepens unless one of them can also play at the 3 (Richardson)

I highly doubt we will have 5 guys fighting for guard minutes. The last time we had 5 legit guards one redshirted (he is now the strating 2g) and one played sparingly before blowing up as a Sophmore and then becoming NBA ROTY. 4 is the limit for JB with guards IMO and likely one gets limited minutes as the season deepens unless one of them can also play at the 3 (Richardson)
You are not wrong in the fact that they wont be fighting for minutes in a sense, and both Mali and G can and will play at the 3. I don't think when push comes to shove coach would want to put freshman Howard into the game if KJ gets in foul trouble during the ACC portion of the schedule. I think it is much more likely that G moves to point or even Ron get those minutes before him.

Also as a little side note a coworker of mine just leaned over while I was typing this and could not understand what I wrote with all the abbreviation and nicknames, safe to say we have our own language on these boards. :D

Flacusian said:
If Richardson chooses to stay any length of time longer than one year... becomes the recognizable face of the program among the players.

Richardson will be here at least 2 years.

There won't be enough playing time for him next year to really shine.

Starters:
Joseph(So)
Cooney(rSr)
Gbinije(rSr)
McCullough(So)
Bryant(Fr)

Bench:
Roberson(Jr)
Patterson(Jr)
Obokoh(Jr?)
Richardson(Fr)
Diagne(Fr)

Joseph/Howard
Cooney/Richardson
MikeG/BJ-Richardson
Chris/Roberson/Diange
Bryant/Diange

DC2? Ron?

whatever the roster turns out to be, JB will still just play a 7-8 rotation and piss me off in the process LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom