Who is going to score? Force Boeheim's hand in changing strategy... | Syracusefan.com

Who is going to score? Force Boeheim's hand in changing strategy...

Mel03

Walk On
This is a two-part post, hoping for much of the conversation to lead to everything after this following paragraph...

With everyone who is leaving, who do we have left to score points? Even when Cooney was playing well, he is limited to coming off screens as a jump shooter. Silent G's handle in the lane leaves much to be desired, and the bigs are put back guys. McCulough is an athletic freak, but apparently very raw offensively. No one else has shown an ability to score effectively in the halfcourt.

Could this lead to a much quicker pace for Boeheim. I thought we were unbelievable late in games when Boeheim pushed the high trap, looking for steals and run outs. We always lead the nation in turnovers, but could this be the year where we really make a difference in forcing pace and tough scores leading to run outs?

I think if we are going to do much of anything next season, it will be running a system more like Louisville/VCU defensively, creating havoc, ball pressure, and turnovers leading to easy scores.

I just do not see how we score in the half court otherwise. I'd love to see us do what this board has always been pining for! Pace, turnovers, fast breaks!

Would love to see KJ driving and throwing lobs to Rak, CM and Roberson or finishing himself. Unfortunately there will be ~8 people in the paint for every single one of our games.

Boeheim will continue to run zone. We might extend it some more with the added atheticism up top and the fact that Gbinije will be getting time at SF, but don't expect a Louisville or VCU style defense. From the years I've watched him, Boeheim's hand doesn't get forced. The offense will likely play at a much faster pace, looking for transition scores more often, but that's not anything out of the ordinary for a Boeheim coached team.

Boeheim will continue to run zone. We might extend it some more with the added atheticism up top and the fact that Gbinije will be getting time at SF, but don't expect a Louisville or VCU style defense. From the years I've watched him, Boeheim's hand doesn't get forced. The offense will likely play at a much faster pace, looking for transition scores more often, but that's not anything out of the ordinary for a Boeheim coached team.

I agree that is expectation of what has been in the past. My key thought here is that this may be our weakest offensive team that I can remember...ever. To be successful, I truly believe a defensive change will need to happen to spur the offense. We have no one as strong offensively (barring a major jump by someone this off season) as our top three from this past year and we were terrible scoring the ball. Something needs to change to have a chance at a good year.

I agree that is expectation of what has been in the past. My key thought here is that this may be our weakest offensive team that I can remember...ever. To be successful, I truly believe a defensive change will need to happen to spur the offense. We have no one as strong offensively (barring a major jump by someone this off season) as our top three from this past year and we were terrible scoring the ball. Something needs to change to have a chance at a good year.

I don't buy that. What I do think is that JB is going to have to play a lot of players just to find out how to make
his 7/8 man rotation. You got three "proven" players, plus uncertainty with Coleman, and then you have six
others who should play to at least determine if they can play. Then, it's likely that the zone is not going to be
a tough defense right off the bat, cuz the kids playing it are not experienced with it.

On the plus side, this ought to be a team that isn't going to peak in Nov/Dec, but might actually
improve as the season goes on. And before people start feeling bad about next year, there are probably
320 D-1 programs that wish they had SU's problems in a year of uncertainty. "Wait, what? Two McDs AAs,
multiple Jordan Classic / Mary Kline alums, virtually everyone is a top 100 recruit, Hall of Fame coach,
Dome, ... yes, we feel REALLY bad for you."

Kev

It's a very valid concern, and I share it, but I don't think halfcourt and fullcourt presses are the answer. We only have one point guard, who we don't need to wear down with fullcourt D, and our centers can't afford to get in foul trouble trying to protect the rim after our press is broken.

As an attempt to anwer the qustion, "who is going to score?" the answer is most likely, "everybody." We are going to need the most balanced attack any SU team has probably had. Everybody needs to become a good passer, the centers have to step up in the post, and the guards needs to be able to drive (Kaleb can, not sure about the others). If we can handle grabbing defensive rebounds without necessitating guard help, leaks outs will help a ton, too.

Our defense forces turnovers pretty well as is. Perhaps, you're suggesting more traps and more aggressive perimeter defense, which I'm on board with. But understand that this will also lead to really tough situations for our bigs.

We need to make scoring easier. The easiest way to do that is to beat the defense down the floor. I expect that we'll be transition heavy next season - Joseph, Roberson, and McCullough are built to run.

In the halfcourt, I think we'll see a lot of inside out with Rak on the post, and Cooney and BJ on the perimeter. Hopefully we see more of a drive and kick game.

I do agree though that it will be all hands on deck scoring. We could have 6 guys average between like 9 and 13 points.

I literally can't envision how a team could be put together worse in this day in age for CBB than what we put on the floor this past year.

-A point guard who doesnt push pace and while he is the best scorer on the team, is reluctant to take over.
-A shooting guard who couldnt shoot.
-A small forward who couldn't shoot threes, had limited passing skills and one move to the basket.
-A power forward who couldn't score outside of 10 feet.
-A Center who could barely score inside of 10 feet.
-A 6th man who is being forced to play out of position.
-No bench after that.

There weren't any other top 25 teams that offensively inept and poorly put together than we were last year. We got by on defense and pure athleticism. We didn't adjust so once teams caught on to us, we were dead in the water.

I believe we will be far more potent offensively next year because what we witnessed this past year wasn't basketball, it was us trying to out-athlete people. If we are somehow worse, we will be scoring in the 30's and 40's every game. I dont think thats possible.

or maybe we play REALLY REALLLLLY SLOW. a la ND when Gody got hurt.

This is a two-part post, hoping for much of the conversation to lead to everything after this following paragraph...

With everyone who is leaving, who do we have left to score points?

I think the more interesting question is not who will score but if DC will ever have a basketball career after his knee injuries.

But to answer your question: Cooney, K-JO2, G, Rak, McCull, Roberson in that order. I predict JB will play Cooney 34 minutes per game.

CusefanATL said:
or maybe we play REALLY REALLLLLY SLOW. a la ND when Gody got hurt.

You don't want to play slow if McCullough is playing.

OttoinGrotto said:
We need to make scoring easier. The easiest way to do that is to beat the defense down the floor. I expect that we'll be transition heavy next season - Joseph, Roberson, and McCullough are built to run. In the halfcourt, I think we'll see a lot of inside out with Rak on the post, and Cooney and BJ on the perimeter. Hopefully we see more of a drive and kick game. I do agree though that it will be all hands on deck scoring. We could have 6 guys average between like 9 and 13 points.
If that's the easiest way to score, everyone would run

I don't think it as easy as you think

I literally can't envision how a team could be put together worse in this day in age for CBB than what we put on the floor this past year.

-A point guard who doesnt push pace and while he is the best scorer on the team, is reluctant to take over.
-A small forward who couldn't shoot threes, had limited passing skills and one move to the basket.
-No bench after that.

There weren't any other top 25 teams that offensively inept and poorly put together than we were last year. We got by on defense and pure athleticism. We didn't adjust so once teams caught on to us, we were dead in the water.

I believe we will be far more potent offensively next year because what we witnessed this past year wasn't basketball, it was us trying to out-athlete people. If we are somehow worse, we will be scoring in the 30's and 40's every game. I dont think thats possible.

Good post man. I agree with all of this and those last two sentences are priceless. Lets hope it doesn't come to that! Sort of amazing we did as well as we did. Uphill battle last 1/4 of the season obviously when teams caught on and figured us out. Lets hope this was just an off year. Really though you are spot on on the poor roster concoction, flawed personnel, no bench, etc.

With everyone who is leaving, who do we have left to score points? Even when Cooney was playing well, he is limited to coming off screens as a jump shooter. Silent G's handle in the lane leaves much to be desired, and the bigs are put back guys. McCulough is an athletic freak, but apparently very raw offensively. No one else has shown an ability to score effectively in the halfcourt.

Could this lead to a much quicker pace for Boeheim. I thought we were unbelievable late in games when Boeheim pushed the high trap, looking for steals and run outs. We always lead the nation in turnovers, but could this be the year where we really make a difference in forcing pace and tough scores leading to run outs?

I think if we are going to do much of anything next season, it will be running a system more like Louisville/VCU defensively, creating havoc, ball pressure, and turnovers leading to easy scores.

I just do not see how we score in the half court otherwise. I'd love to see us do what this board has always been pining for! Pace, turnovers, fast breaks!
I love this "Who will score next year". Either noone, and we will struggle to get over 15 pts, or, more likely 6-7 guys will

-No bench after that.

A key one to me that is worthy for the above list--
As a team shot 50% from 3...3 FEET!

-No bench after that.

In other words, that team significantly overachieved and JB did one of the worst coaching jobs in America last season.

Seriously though, this team ranked very highly in terms of offensive efficiency for a good portion of the season and won a lot of games with its offense, including some pretty important ones. And while it generally played well defensively, this team was a notch below some of the SU teams from the previous four seasons, especially in terms of defending the perimeter, and that proved costly at times.

Rebound and run. In half court slide Christmas to near the free throw line to shoot or pass and interact with Roberson in that role. Cooney drives more and that is that he works hard on dribbling. If teams are going to play a pseudo box and one on Cooney make them pay for that and free him up or pay. Johnson, 5HE and Coleman are the wildcards here as well. I expect more from Silent G and imo he'll improve his offensive game a bit.

In other words, that team significantly overachieved and JB did one of the worst coaching jobs in America last season.

Seriously though, this team ranked very highly in terms of offensive efficiency for a good portion of the season and won a lot of games with its offense, including some pretty important ones. And while it generally played well defensively, this team was a notch below some of the SU teams from the previous four seasons, especially in terms of defending the perimeter, and that proved costly at times.

True. Lets not forgot how many games we almost lost though because of poor offense. Now the people who were concerned about winning ugly were mocked and it turned out to be a valid concern. Prior to mid January-early Feb the team had legs and the book/scouting on SU wasn't defined yet. When the season started to matter we just didn't have enough playmakers, shooters, ballhandlers, options, etc. That Duke game in the Dome turned out to be such a hoax. Duke was a bad defensive team especially in the paint and CJ played out of his mind good.

Nobody is going to score. We will play lights out defensively and instead of starting 25-0 like this past season, we will lose most games by the score of 25-0. Our freshman will be deer in the headlights offensively and they will actually have a few assists to the other team. Unfortunately, these will be knows as turnovers. JBs doghouse will be empty, however, as he won't be able to take anyone out, because we don't have enough players.

Go Cuse!

True. Lets not forgot how many games we almost lost though because of poor offense. Now the people who were concerned about winning ugly were mocked and it turned out to be a valid concern. Prior to mid January-early Feb the team had legs and the book/scouting on SU wasn't defined yet. When the season started to matter we just didn't have enough playmakers, shooters, ballhandlers, options, etc. That Duke game in the Dome turned out to be such a hoax. Duke was a bad defensive team especially in the paint and CJ played out of his mind good.
I also think the loss of Coleman, and the injuries to BMK and Grant had a lot to do with how the season unfolded, and how the offensive efficiency declined. Losing Coleman (and BMK's injury) took away flexibility in the middle, and forced others into larger roles. Playing without Grant (or with Grant at less than 100%) put more pressure on the perimeter game and more of a scoring burden on CJ.

If that's the easiest way to score, everyone would run

I don't think it as easy as you think
Eh. It's easier than we made it look this past season, at least.

-No bench after that.

And yet, we were ranked #1. It's crazy.

College basketball's just wide open.

And yet, we were ranked #1. It's crazy.

College basketball's just wide open.
when we were number 1, our shooting guard could shoot and our center could score inside of 10 feet

We will push the ball and drive to the Rim this team is going to drive drive and drive some more

We will push the ball and drive to the Rim this team is going to drive drive and drive some more

Until teams shut down and/or play the drive. Hopefully multiple players can shoot and make an extra pass.

I also think the loss of Coleman, and the injuries to BMK and Grant had a lot to do with how the season unfolded, and how the offensive efficiency declined. Losing Coleman (and BMK's injury) took away flexibility in the middle, and forced others into larger roles. Playing without Grant (or with Grant at less than 100%) put more pressure on the perimeter game and more of a scoring burden on CJ.

I really do think Coleman would've helped. Just the tenacity, size, and extra fouls from him at the very least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom