Who is recruiting? | Syracusefan.com

Who is recruiting?

SBU72

All Conference
JB is retiring after the 2017-18 season, right. Who is choosing which kids to recruit for the 2018-19 season? Would think its Hopkins. If so, has anybody noticed a difference in the pattern of his recruitment? Broader? Sanctions will be gone (or nearly) so who is he looking at. Or is it to early to know?

GMac has been on the road a lot. More so than Hop I think. So I'd guess he will be the lead recruiter when Hop takes over like Hop was for JB.

I think GMac starts the relationship and then JB would come in to close the deal. I think Hop will do the same.

I'm not too worried about the transition to Hop and recruiting. We have storied program with great tradition. We have assistant coaches running the practices for years. We have great facilities. We are in the ACC. And 2017-18 we have a ton PT up for grabs. I don't think we will have too much problem filling in spots. Hopefully, Coach Hop has a great first season so we continue our Orange success without skipping a beat.

GMac has been on the road a lot. More so than Hop I think. So I'd guess he will be the lead recruiter when Hop takes over like Hop was for JB.

I took the question to be more who will direct who we want to target e.g. will we now leave the northeast more frequently, will we stay in with the 5 star guys when the battles begin to heat up, will we be more willing to go after smaller guards etc., etc. I don't expect that GMAC will be making those decisions. Those are decisions that JB has to be making. I interpreted the original question to be during this period when JB may still be at the helm, but making decisions whose impact really won't be felt until after he has turned over the reigns (if it is truly safe to assume that he is retiring on the schedules discussed) has he turned over any of the decision making to Hop.

And, if that wasn't the OP's question, then I'm throwing it out there.

I took the question to be more who will direct who we want to target e.g. will we now leave the northeast more frequently, will we stay in with the 5 star guys when the battles begin to heat up, will we be more willing to go after smaller guards etc., etc. I don't expect that GMAC will be making those decisions. Those are decisions that JB has to be making. I interpreted the original question to be during this period when JB may still be at the helm, but making decisions whose impact really won't be felt until after he has turned over the reigns (if it is truly safe to assume that he is retiring on the schedules discussed) has he turned over any of the decision making to Hop.

I'm going to guess that right now its a joint JB/Hop discussion.

Here is my question, When Jb retires, who will Hop add to his staff? He is going to need one more assistant.

Call me crazy, but I could see devo eventually getting on as an assistant. I think Jason Hart is the more likely guy, though, especially if Hop wants to recruit nationally. He's already got experience on the west coast, and it would be a move up for him if he was willing to move.

The Helicopter? Too old?

Rage4CUSE said:
Everybody thinking it, so I'll say it. Trevor Cooney. Now I'll sit back and enjoy muh popcorn.:eat popcorn:

Too soon. He'll play for pay for a number of years.

Frozen said:
Probably two. I expect Red to become a HC somewhere in the next two seasons.

After Griffin, if Red leaves and we need a second coach, it would probably be someone that currently coaches bigs.

Assuming someone knows this firsthand, what are the names of recruits that GMac has played the lead role in bringing to the Hill?

After Griffin, if Red leaves and we need a second coach, it would probably be someone that currently coaches bigs.

Do you think Roosevelt Bouie would get any consideration? Herm Harried remains on my list, too.

Assuming someone knows this firsthand, what are the names of recruits that GMac has played the lead role in bringing to the Hill?

Moyer for one. He's also the lead recruiter, or was, for Green, Diallo, DCR, Tucker, Walker, Randolph, Duval, and Porter.

Do you think Roosevelt Bouie would get any consideration? Herm Harried remains on my list, too.

Rosie could. Doubt Herm would.

That was the intent. For a while now, some have complained that JB is getting lazy, staying in the NE, limiting the number of offers, going after only long lean guys (for the zone), not persuing the 5* as much. So if JB is truely leaving, do these things change? Does Hop make these changes while JB is still head coach but not there when the recruits are? And given the supposed date for the change to happen, has anybody seen a difference in recruitng tactics for the class who are now HS sophomores.

Moyer for one. He's also the lead recruiter, or was, for Green, Diallo, DCR, Tucker, Walker, Randolph, Duval, and Porter.
Just curious, who gets the credit for Battle?

If he landed Moyer that's a great start - but I think it's way too early to say that he's proven himself to be the heir apparent as the lead recruiter to replace Hop. When JB steps down, Gerry won't be able to use the sales pitch of come and play for a HOFer and Olympic Gold-medalist. If he can reel in Green and 2 of the others then I'll be impressed. Anything less and we might be needing someone more seasoned and proven in that position (especially with an unproven HC taking over). I know you think I'm being overly critical but ask Francis or anyone else -- 2017 is shaping up to be a make-or-break class. 8 ships will need to be filled most likely. That's practically an entire JB roster. We need to hit a few home runs. Duval is waiting for Syracuse to call him back. I kid. Maybe not. :noidea:

If he landed Moyer that's a great start - but I think it's way too early to say that he's proven himself to be the heir apparent as the lead recruiter to replace Hop. When JB steps down, Gerry won't be able to use the sales pitch of come and play for a HOFer and Olympic Gold-medalist. If he can reel in Green and 2 of the others then I'll be impressed. Anything less and we might be needing someone more seasoned and proven in that position (especially with an unproven HC taking over). I know you think I'm being overly critical but ask Francis or anyone else -- 2017 is shaping up to be a make-or-break class. 8 ships will need to be filled most likely. That's practically an entire JB roster. We need to hit a few home runs. Duval is waiting for Syracuse to call him back. I kid. Maybe not. :noidea:

Yes you are being critical which is your usual self. And Francis is where I got the list of names who GMac is recruiting. Its pretty obvious he's the guy.

Last edited:

Hop gets major credit for Battle. If it wasn't for his close relationship with Gary Battle(Pops), then we would've never gotten him.

Hop gets major credit for Battle. If it wasn't for his close relationship with Gary Battle(Pops), then we would've never gotten him.
Francis, do you think gmac should become the lead receuiter when hop takes over? Maybe it's all those summer fishing trips that I can't get out of my head...

Call me crazy, but I could see devo eventually getting on as an assistant. I think Jason Hart is the more likely guy, though, especially if Hop wants to recruit nationally. He's already got experience on the west coast, and it would be a move up for him if he was willing to move.

I could see Hart, but does Devendorf have any coaching experience?

Also, when the time comes, I wouldn't mind going outside the family to make that hire.

docsu said:
I could see Hart, but does Devendorf have any coaching experience? Also, when the time comes, I wouldn't mind going outside the family to make that hire.

I agree. It's nice to have all alums but let's get the best candidate regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom