Who is the 2nd 3pt threat going to be this year to help Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Who is the 2nd 3pt threat going to be this year to help Cooney

Alsacs

Living Legend
College Basketball teams IMO rely too heavily on the 3 pt shot because of how much closer it is than the NBA 3 pt line. Last year our biggest struggle was we played slow and only had 1 legit 3 pt shooter Trevor Cooney who because he was the only 3pt threat was guarded really tough and during conference season saw his shooting percentage go down steadily from the non-conference schedule. We need atleast 2 guys who make 60 3pt shots over the season.

I think unless you have a legit post presence to have a good college offense you need atleast two 3pt shooters on the floor to have adequate spacing and run good offense. The last few years Syracuse has had 1 main 3 pt threat and relied on Fair for the midrange game and as a result our offense has struggled the past 2 years.
Who are the guys we fans should be watching the upcoming exhibition games. I will be watching shooting as I feel JB/Hopkins are elite at teaching our defense, but we need offensive improvements. If we have atleast two 3pt threats it lessens the burden on Cooney and gives the offense more diversity. So I ask the BB fanatics who should I be watching Johnson? Roberson? Patterson? Joseph? somebody I am missing?

Thanks.

A committee of Gbinije, B.J., Joseph and even some McCullough. Unfortunately, I think long-range shooting will not be a strength. However, it will not be hard to improve on our three-point shooting from last year, so I think our #s will be better.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll really have another threat and we're in for another offensive season like last year

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll really have another threat and we're in for another offensive season like last year
I'm going to hope that our running game gets going and we don't have to rely as much on the 3 point shot in the half court set.

On the court with Cooney and the starters? McCullough. His 3pt shooting is being severely overlooked, IMO. The kid isn't a sharpshooter, but he'll knock down the open ones and I don't see too many defenders capable of getting a hand in his face.

BJ and Gbinije are both better shooters than McCullough, I just don't know how often they'll be on the court with Cooney.

College Basketball teams IMO rely too heavily on the 3 pt shot because of how much closer it is than the NBA 3 pt line. Last year our biggest struggle was we played slow and only had 1 legit 3 pt shooter Trevor Cooney who because he was the only 3pt threat was guarded really tough and during conference season saw his shooting percentage go down steadily from the non-conference schedule. We need atleast 2 guys who make 60 3pt shots over the season.

I think unless you have a legit post presence to have a good college offense you need atleast two 3pt shooters on the floor to have adequate spacing and run good offense. The last few years Syracuse has had 1 main 3 pt threat and relied on Fair for the midrange game and as a result our offense has struggled the past 2 years.
Who are the guys we fans should be watching the upcoming exhibition games. I will be watching shooting as I feel JB/Hopkins are elite at teaching our defense, but we need offensive improvements. If we have atleast two 3pt threats it lessens the burden on Cooney and gives the offense more diversity. So I ask the BB fanatics who should I be watching Johnson? Roberson? Patterson? Joseph? somebody I am missing?

Thanks.

BJ Johnson and Gbinije are the most likely. Joseph, McCullough, and Roberson are all supposed to have nice strokes--but as unproven guys, we won't really know for sure until we see them in action. And Patterson can hit threes, too. If he's in the rotation, he might provide another complimentary perimeter threat.

It is unlikely that every one of these guys is going to magically connect at a 40% clip from three point range. But unlike the last two years, I feel like we've got the raw materials to be an improved jump shooting team collectively. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 4-5 guys out of those 7 [including Cooney] emerge as legitimate threats from three from the group listed above.

Bottom line: Cooney should have some help this year, and not be the sole focus of the opposition's defensive game plan, to take away our lone consistent shooter.

I think the "natural" guys to be a trey threat would be Joseph and BJ. If BJ doesn't get it done from three range he probably doesn't make the rotation. Joseph handling the ball will have to be enough of a threat to keep em honest. Some say it will be G - but G's release is too slow, if nobody else steps up to give us more of a trey threat than G we will be hurting. G will hit some, but only when left really, really wide open. I don't see Roberson as a trey threat. McC - not sure, hopefully he can kinda do what CJ did. Patterson probably doesn't make the rotation, but if by some chance he shows he can hit 40% from distance that could change. I would like to see him get some run, but when the rotation tightens he is the most likely odd man out unless he can really make a quantum leap in his game.

The good news is that none of these guys need to hit 40 % or greater to really help Cooney out. It would be excellent if BJ could hit very high 30's not only for spreading the floor alongside Cooney but for allowing Cooney to rest and still having a dangerous threat on the court.

I expect Cooney and BJ to be guys that defenses scheme to keep covered on the 3 line.

I'm counting on Mike to be a very good secondary 3pt shooter, like 36ish% and taking at least 3 a game. He was pretty good last year and should be better this year.

I expect Chris to be able to shoot at least 32+% and take 3 a game.

It would really help if Joseph keeps the D honest by shooting north of 30 and being good on the wide open ones. Same goes for Tyler.

I don't think these are unreasonable expectations since at times we will see 3 and sometimes 4 capable shooters on the floor at the same time. That can easily raise everyones % a couple of ticks.

The good news is that none of these guys need to hit 40 % or greater to really help Cooney out. It would be excellent if BJ could hit very high 30's not only for spreading the floor alongside Cooney but for allowing Cooney to rest and still having a dangerous threat on the court.

I expect Cooney and BJ to be guys that defenses scheme to keep covered on the 3 line.

I'm counting on Mike to be a very good secondary 3pt shooter, like 36ish% and taking at least 3 a game. He was pretty good last year and should be better this year.

I expect Chris to be able to shoot at least 32+% and take 3 a game.

It would really help if Joseph keeps the D honest by shooting north of 30 and being good on the wide open ones. Same goes for Tyler.

I don't think these are unreasonable expectations since at times we will see 3 and sometimes 4 capable shooters on the floor at the same time. That can easily raise everyones % a couple of ticks.

That's about how I see it, too.

we're in for another offensive season like last year
perhaps that will end up being true numbers wise, but this team will be vastly different in style, types of shots created, etc. I think we'll be more efficient and will score easier - and between a combo of G/CM/BJ will have a viable 3-pt threat besides TC

Thanks.
BJ. By a large margin.

BJ. By a large margin.

I'm very excited to see what BJ can do this year. I think he'll be a lot like KJ in 2010 -- not in terms of style of play, but in terms of PT / bench impact / double figure scoring potential any given game.

Love BJ's game / versatility. Can't wait to see what he can do.

BJ. By a large margin.
What is the thinking on BJ? Might he start at small frwd? If he comes off the bench is it thought he will spell McC/Roberson at the frwd position or Cooney at the guard position? Or like G could he sub in at both guard and frwd positions? I myself see him as a forward

What is the thinking on BJ? Might he start at small frwd? If he comes off the bench is it thought he will spell McC/Roberson at the frwd position or Cooney at the guard position? Or like G could he sub in at both guard and frwd positions? I myself see him as a forward

I think he may play more at the 3 this year because Mike is the backup PG, Rak is a full time center and that only leaves Chris and Tyler as the other forwards. I'd expect to see him play some 2G as well though.

I'd be very interested in seeing a Mike, BJ, Cooney, Chris, Rak lineup. With that many shooters and slashers plus not being able to leave Rak to help they would seem hard to guard.

I don't see BJ playing 1 minute at the 2. He'll probably be the backup forward, subbing for eithe Roberson or McCullough [the prohibitive favorite to be starters]. BJ would be able to come in for either, with the other guy manning [or sliding over to] the 4.

Good situation.

Plot Twist.

Cooney won't be the leading three point shooter on this team.

I'm very excited to see what BJ can do this year. I think he'll be a lot like KJ in 2010 -- not in terms of style of play, but in terms of PT / bench impact / double figure scoring potential any given game.

Love BJ's game / versatility. Can't wait to see what he can do.
I predict that BJ is going to show us what many thought KJ could have been before he leaves Syracuse.

I don't see BJ playing 1 minute at the 2. He'll probably be the backup forward, subbing for eithe Roberson or McCullough [the prohibitive favorite to be starters]. BJ would be able to come in for either, with the other guy manning [or sliding over to] the 4.

Good situation.
I think we will se more of a "small" line up this year with G and/or BJ getting a lot of time at small forward. I would anticipate either MCC or Roberson to have a big season , but i have a tough time seeing both of them having break out seasons just due to the odds and a strong chance both of them want the ball in the same spot . If they dont compliment ea other on the court to a high degree it should open up time for G or BJ. I was impressed w the confidence that BJ put up shots last year, unfort they didnt really fall. If he starts knocking em down it really would change the dynamic of this team obviously.

Good situation.
I agree with this assessment. This spring, TNIAM had this (underlined) as his starting rotation, when less was known about DC. I think there will be changes:

PG
: Kaleb Joseph ... I think this is correct, with MG backing up (he can also slide to the 2)

SG: Trevor Cooney ... Book It (MG backs up with possibly some minutes for Patterson ... who has shown flashes from outside)

SF: Tyler Roberson ... I agree (BJ Backs Up .. and in that case, both guards and the SF are outside threats)

PF: Rakeem Christmas ... (IMO, Chris McCullough looks so good that I think he starts at PF)

C: DaJuan Coleman ... (IMO, X-Mass Starts at Center if DC remains hurt)

Up top, MG again can play multiple roles .. and I think he'll be playing "Dion" bringing in an offensive spark, probably up top. He can also spell Cooney at the 2 ... or Buss can come in.

This leaves us thin inside, with only Obokoh backing up X-mas. But with a 6-10 PF, and Roberson (who can play inside and is a capable rebounder) ... JB has some options. Foul trouble for X-mas remains a big concern without DC.

And yes, finally to answer the question, I like BJ as the mostly likely candidate to be our second-best outside threat, at the 3 as you suggest.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/4...2015-lineup-starting-cooney-christmas-coleman

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom