Who Tests The Draft Waters? (And what will happen) | Syracusefan.com

Who Tests The Draft Waters? (And what will happen)

NYCorange

2nd String
With the change in rules, I'd have to imagine that Lydon, Richardson, and perhaps Roberson will participate in the Combine and do a workout with a team if they can. First, will the combine and any team invite them? And second, what will those teams say to them? If you're an NBA team, and you like the look of Lydon or Richardson and they're good long-term projects, why not promise a late second round pick? If you're the players, do you leave for the promise of late second round pick?

With the change in rules, I'd have to imagine that Lydon, Richardson, and perhaps Roberson will participate in the Combine and do a workout with a team if they can. First, will the combine and any team invite them? And second, what will those teams say to them? If you're an NBA team, and you like the look of Lydon or Richardson and they're good long-term projects, why not promise a late second round pick? If you're the players, do you leave for the promise of late second round pick?

If you leave as a frosh for the "promise of a late 2nd rd pick," you lack brain cells. 2nd rounders don't get guaranteed contracts. And you certainly don't leave if you're Mal or Lydon, and you're only seen as a late 2nd rounder, because your draft stock should significantly increase after next season.

If we had that many underclassmen that were legit NBA prospects this year, we wouldn't be fighting for our lives just to make the tourney.
We don't have legit prospects this year. What we have is a prototype NBA stretch 4, and a fearless guard with good range and the ability to get to the rim. Both have sky high potential and both should test the waters. They would be stupid not to..

If you leave as a frosh for the "promise of a late 2nd rd pick," you lack brain cells. 2nd rounders don't get guaranteed contracts. And you certainly don't leave if you're Mal or Lydon, and you're only seen as a late 2nd rounder, because your draft stock should significantly increase after next season.

And it is probably better to go undrafted than go as a 2nd rounder in many cases. At least undrafted you can go to any NBA team... rather than being a fringe prospect being stuck with one team.

I think the players association would get of the second round if they could. It is purely to the benefit of the Owners.

Just my opinion from what I have observed (and maybe I am wrong(, but it seems being a 2nd rounder hurts your stock overseas when a NBA team wants to stash you to protect your rights. Top Euro teams / leagues may prefer plays who look like they can be longer term players -- not interested in stashes. So you are stuck going to a lower tier, lesser paying league. DeAndre Daniels, the twat from the 2014 UConn team, was drafted by Toronto and had to play in Australia -- that cannot be better then playing in the EuroLeague.

We don't have legit prospects this year. What we have is a prototype NBA stretch 4, and a fearless guard with good range and the ability to get to the rim. Both have sky high potential and both should test the waters. They would be stupid not to..

Lydon is averaging 10 and 6 and can't guard anyone in zone(let alone man to man), and Richardson is shooting 37%. I love them both, but...there's a LOT of guys out there. "Sky high potential" at Syracuse? Sure. Good chance they both make and stick in the NBA at some point? Yeah, I think so.

But sky high potential? Like, to be NBA stars?

Lydon is averaging 10 and 6 and can't guard anyone in zone(let alone man to man), and Richardson is shooting 37%. I love them both, but...there's a LOT of guys out there. "Sky high potential" at Syracuse? Sure. Good chance they both make and stick in the NBA at some point? Yeah, I think so.

But sky high potential? Like, to be NBA stars?

Watch an NBA game directly after a college game. I tuned in for the Pacers/Cavs game after our Monday game and the first play I saw was a ridiculous move to the rim and reverse finish by Monta Ellis.

The talent gap is ridiculous. NBA players are insanely good at what they do. Laughable when some think college teams can beat pro teams.

Last edited:
Watch an NBA game directly after a college game. I tuned in for the Pacers/Cavs game after our Monday game and the first play I saw was a ridiculous move to the room and reverse finish by Monta Ellis.

The talent gap is ridiculous. NBA players are insanely good at what they do. Laughable when some thing college teams can beat pro teams.

We've had a LOT of very good college players and just 3 really good- great pros. Carmelo had "sky high potential" and made it. Billy Owens had "sky high potential" and while was pretty good, he didn't fully realize it. We don't have anyone with "sky high" pro potential on this team, in my opinion.

If malachi even has 1 tiny thought about testing the waters id tell him "you just played against a team with nba size, howd that work out for you?"

Unless they go to europe theyll be back.

An honest assessment is never a bad thing.

If someone ends up with a first round guarantee, they'll leave. I doubt that would happen, but crazier things have happened.

I'm guessing they'll all be back unless someone leaves due to other reasons not related to the NBA.

An honest assessment is never a bad thing.

If someone ends up with a first round guarantee, they'll leave. I doubt that would happen, but crazier things have happened.

I'm guessing they'll all be back unless someone leaves due to other reasons not related to the NBA.

Agreed. Zero issue with any of them gathering additional information, since the process now allows for that.

From what little we know, Roberson will test the waters. He apparently has people who know he should go pro.

If you were Richardson or Lydon why wouldn't you go through the process?

Get a grade from the NBA people and make a decision based off that.

Maybe to avoid embarrassing themselves? There are literally ONE HUNDRED underclass guys in CBB that are as good. Besides, it strikes me as ironic that we are never in the conversation with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc. in the OAD recruiting department, we have been having middling seasons, and yet we collectively worry ( a lot) about losing guys that clearly need more seasoning. And I have to think playing at Syracuse is better than the D League, which is where a lot of ill-prepared players end up playing in front of 500 people on a good night with a lousy paycheck at weeks' end

I'll attempt to answer what I'm sure you intended as a rhetorical question. I will also do one better an answer with no statistical evidence but rather mere anecdotal evidence, which is always strong.

But, anyway, from my point of view I'm not sure it's worth testing the waters b/c I'm not sure there'd be any logical reason to leave. If you were a potential lottery pick, for the most part, we'd be hearing those whispers already. If you're not that high but are still likely to get drafted it likely means an NBA team either believes you fill a specific role -- in which case you're still going to be a player who can fill that role a year later -- or that you have the potential to still improve significantly.

So, where it makes sense to me to consider leaving is when one or more of the following things is true:
  • You want $$, don't want to waste time in college and are fine if the NBA doesn't work out and you end up in Europe, etc.
  • You are a lottery pick and the guaranteed money is tough to pass up.
  • You had a big year and based on certain factors your stock is unlikely to rise further (see Ennis, Tyler).
  • You're a long, athletic wing-type or maybe an athletic big that can carve out a 10-year career based on a few key skills/physical attributes and potentially can garner enough minutes to see your offense evolve over time.
So if those things are true, give it a shot. I'm cool with it. What i don't really understand is how either of the following types leave:
  • You have a world of athleticism but major holes in your game that keep you out of the lottery and potentially out of the first round. The NBA doesn't have much patience, IMO, and if you have serious upside offensively but have yet to realize it, my opinion based on exclusively anecdotal evidence is that you're better off trying to use a ton of minutes and touches in college to improve your stock and, more importantly, your game.
  • When you haven't stood out on a team that is OK but not great. If you're on a Kentucky team that goes 8 deep with first-rounders, fine. But on this Cuse team, if you're shooting 37% and playing well but not necessarily standing out, then it would seem to me you have work to do.
So, for me, if you're in the shoes of either Lydon or Richardson, it would make the most sense to me to block out all the NBA junk and come back as better players on a better team and go from there. I just feel like the question is not as much about when and where you get drafted as it is about how good are you when you get there. Just my opinion.

Watch an NBA game directly after a college game. I tuned in for the Pacers/Cavs game after our Monday game and the first play I saw was a ridiculous move to the rim and reverse finish by Monta Ellis.

The talent gap is ridiculous. NBA players are insanely good at what they do. Laughable when some think college teams can beat pro teams.

And everyone can shoot out to the college three point line. That huge dude Speights on golden state would shoot 45 percent from the college three

I'll attempt to answer what I'm sure you intended as a rhetorical question. I will also do one better an answer with no statistical evidence but rather mere anecdotal evidence, which is always strong.

But, anyway, from my point of view I'm not sure it's worth testing the waters b/c I'm not sure there'd be any logical reason to leave. If you were a potential lottery pick, for the most part, we'd be hearing those whispers already. If you're not that high but are still likely to get drafted it likely means an NBA team either believes you fill a specific role -- in which case you're still going to be a player who can fill that role a year later -- or that you have the potential to still improve significantly.

So, where it makes sense to me to consider leaving is when one or more of the following things is true:
  • You want $$, don't want to waste time in college and are fine if the NBA doesn't work out and you end up in Europe, etc.
  • You are a lottery pick and the guaranteed money is tough to pass up.
  • You had a big year and based on certain factors your stock is unlikely to rise further (see Ennis, Tyler).
  • You're a long, athletic wing-type or maybe an athletic big that can carve out a 10-year career based on a few key skills/physical attributes and potentially can garner enough minutes to see your offense evolve over time.
So if those things are true, give it a shot. I'm cool with it. What i don't really understand is how either of the following types leave:
  • You have a world of athleticism but major holes in your game that keep you out of the lottery and potentially out of the first round. The NBA doesn't have much patience, IMO, and if you have serious upside offensively but have yet to realize it, my opinion based on exclusively anecdotal evidence is that you're better off trying to use a ton of minutes and touches in college to improve your stock and, more importantly, your game.
  • When you haven't stood out on a team that is OK but not great. If you're on a Kentucky team that goes 8 deep with first-rounders, fine. But on this Cuse team, if you're shooting 37% and playing well but not necessarily standing out, then it would seem to me you have work to do.
So, for me, if you're in the shoes of either Lydon or Richardson, it would make the most sense to me to block out all the NBA junk and come back as better players on a better team and go from there. I just feel like the question is not as much about when and where you get drafted as it is about how good are you when you get there. Just my opinion.
Suppose the feedback you get from the NBA doesn't match up with the things your college coach wants you to work on.

Perhaps you leave school so you can get paid to work on the things the NBA desires.

I really hope Joseph goes pro.
I'd be shocked if Jospeh didn't transfer. Just my opinion on what I've seen from playing time over the past year. And the fact that we have Battle coming in and Howard and Mal next year also.

OrangeDW said:
If we had that many underclassmen that were legit NBA prospects this year, we wouldn't be fighting for our lives just to make the tourney.

WARNING: miracle!

On my screen Marsh and OrangeDW's posts appeared one after the other. That means two sensible and logical posts happened back to back here! Sound the alarm!

44cuse

Still shocked that people on this board think Lydon could get drafted this year.

Still shocked that people on this board think Lydon could get drafted this year.
If Lydon left there is no doubt someone would take a flyer on him in the mid-late 2nd round. A lot of mock's have G going late 2nd; if you were an NBA GM right now would you draft a 23 year old G or an 18 year old Lydon? Granted you'd have to be OK with him not contributing much for at least another year or 2

If Lydon left there is no doubt someone would take a flyer on him in the mid-late 2nd round. A lot of mock's have G going late 2nd; if you were an NBA GM right now would you draft a 23 year old G or an 18 year old Lydon? Granted you'd have to be OK with him not contributing much for at least another year or 2
I'm very optimistic in Tyler's development and potential draft status in 1-2 years, but I think that right now, as a soon-to-be 20 year old, while he is a very good college big, and we all love him here at SU, I don't think he could drive past any NBA small forward. As I said, I'm optimistic in his future and hope he develops this skill, but if he works out as a SF, it's just not going to work out right now.

Surely you jest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom