Who was the last SU player to win an NBA title? | Syracusefan.com

Who was the last SU player to win an NBA title?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
I honestly have no idea who the last SU player was to win an NBA title. Anybody know off hand?

OrlandoCuse said:
I honestly have no idea who the last SU player was to win an NBA title. Anybody know off hand?

Marty Byrnes?

So Marty Byrnes is the only one? Way back in 1980. Wow, we kinda suck.
What do "we" have to do with success of NBA teams? Our best players get drafted by teams that suck.

Reactions: cto
What do "we" have to do with success of NBA teams? Our best players get drafted by teams that suck.

We don't have to do with the success of NBA teams, but the players do. And the number of Cuse NBA players outside of a handful really haven't had long careers also making it more difficult of winning a title.

stuckinbig11 said:

All time, only 10 schools have put more players in the NBA than SU.

NBA rosters contain guys from a random assortment of random colleges (or no colleges). Just out of curiosity, I picked a random championship team (1986 Celtics) because I liked it. They had exactly two players from a big-time basketball school... and neither one contributed much. Bill Walton of UCLA was on the downside of his injury -plagued career and averaged about seven points per game and Sam Vincent of MSU played about seven minutes per game and averaged about three points a game. Their highest scorers were were from Indiana State, Pepperdine, Centenary of Louisiana, and BYU. Hardly basketball powerhouses. Other guys winning rings that year were from URI and Bradley

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1986.html

Last edited:
NBA rosters contain guys from a random assortment of random colleges (or no colleges). Just out of curiosity, I picked a random championship team (1986 Celtics) because I remembered that as a good team. They had exactly two players from a big-time basketball school... and neither one contributed much. Bill Walton of UCLA was on the downside of his injury -plagued career and averaged about seven points per game and Sam Vincent of MSU played about seven minutes per game and averaged about three points a game. Their highest scorers were were from Indiana State, Pepperdine, Centenary of Louisiana, and BYU. Hardly basketball powerhouses. Other guys winning rings that year were from URI and Bradley

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1986.html
Loved that team...let's not forget about McHale from Minnesota but you are correct that it wasn't a big basketball school

All time, only 10 schools have put more players in the NBA than SU.

In the JB era, you have 39 years x 15 NBA players/team = close to 600 participants. And we have one.

I know the net number is less (players with multiple rings), but don't you think something is wrong here?

orange2win said:
In the JB era, you have 39 years x 15 NBA players/team = close to 600 participants. And we have one. I know the net number is less (players with multiple rings), but don't you think something is wrong here?

No. Look at the teams our best players have been on.

So Marty Byrnes is the only one? Way back in 1980. Wow, we kinda suck.

Most recently Melo got to the to WCF in 2009. Any SU guys since Byrnes get to the finals and lose?

it's because jb picks players that will ace the zone.

No. Look at the teams our best players have been on.

Best players always go to crap teams. Yet a lot of them still end up getting a ring at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom