Whose been worse Petro or Tambroni? | Syracusefan.com

Whose been worse Petro or Tambroni?

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Good god both teams are a disaster. Penn State looks as bad as they did before they threw millions at Tambroni. Johns Hopkins looks like a mediocre Div 1 team who can't handle playing an upper echelon team not one of the most historic teams of all time. At this point you wonder if the JHU administration has no choice how much farther can they fall before making a move with all that talent on the roster.

Good god both teams are a disaster. Penn State looks as bad as they did before they threw millions at Tambroni. Johns Hopkins looks like a mediocre Div 1 team who can't handle playing an upper echelon team not one of the most historic teams of all time. At this point you wonder if the JHU administration has no choice how much farther can they fall before making a move with all that talent on the roster.
Gotta be Petro. He gets the cream of the crop year after year. Tambroni still trying to build the program up.

Funny - I was thinking the same thing about Petro and JHU. I know he has massive history at Hop, but some hard choices are going to have to be made there.

Funny - I was thinking the same thing about Petro and JHU. I know he has massive history at Hop, but some hard choices are going to have to be made there.

No we need Petro to stay at JHU forever. I like winning 3/4 of our games against them. Someone different would be problematic. Long live Petro.

Yeah, JHU has just been mind-boggling bad this year.

It is strange because after SU played Hop in the Dome I thought that they were going to go on a run. They really gave SU the best game and had what I thought was an interesting defensive approach to our offense. Staats scored on an empty net otherwise it was a 2 goal decision. They looked like a top ten team when they left.

Recent history definitely suggests that Hopkins is moving in the wrong direction. They were blown out in the playoffs last season and didn't qualify the year before. Petro is a legendary player there and has won a few titles . I think it takes more for the administration to make a change. They need the big ten to improve significantly as it seems like the top programs are all from good conferences.

As for State Penn and Tambromi. The school is puzzling outside of Football historically. They have never been able to get it going in hoops despite all the attention and effort there. Still have to give Tambroni a chance to turn it around. I would think with the strong high school play in Pennsylvania they will right the ship. That said Cornell despite losing some big names and the coach hasn't really fallen off. Maybe there is more to the tradition of Cornell and less to do with Tambroni? Wasn't it really millions they threw at him?

I don't think tambroni is ever going to get penn state going on an annual basis. Surely not a destination lax school. His decision to go there was dumb. They must have given him a fat paycheck.

I don't think tambroni is ever going to get penn state going on an annual basis. Surely not a destination lax school. His decision to go there was dumb. They must have given him a fat paycheck.
His best shot is to grab a couple of under-the-radar-type kids and catch lightening in a bottle. Otherwise, they will have to be happy with one and out in the NCAA's once every 5 or 6 years (at best). Don't know if he survives that long before the next placeholder is hired. As Thruway said above, outside of football, volleyball, water polo, and women's hoops, it is amazing how pedestrian PSU sports really is.

They certainly did And a state retirement... His wife works there as well and is a PSU alumni, also on the state retirement. No a bad gig. They will give him plenty of time as well. He is one of the best recruiters out there, they will be fine. Rough season for sure but also has a young team. It's not an easy road though, I would agree the game has gotten so much more competitive and there are so many good programs and many of them extremely good academic institutions. I think his decision to go there was based on money and the possibility to to build his own program there but I would agree it's been a bit rougher than he had imagined as well. I am rooting for him. Great guy and familiy

Last edited:
It is strange because after SU played Hop in the Dome I thought that they were going to go on a run. They really gave SU the best game and had what I thought was an interesting defensive approach to our offense. Staats scored on an empty net otherwise it was a 2 goal decision. They looked like a top ten team when they left.

Recent history definitely suggests that Hopkins is moving in the wrong direction. They were blown out in the playoffs last season and didn't qualify the year before. Petro is a legendary player there and has won a few titles . I think it takes more for the administration to make a change. They need the big ten to improve significantly as it seems like the top programs are all from good conferences.

As for State Penn and Tambromi. The school is puzzling outside of Football historically. They have never been able to get it going in hoops despite all the attention and effort there. Still have to give Tambroni a chance to turn it around. I would think with the strong high school play in Pennsylvania they will right the ship. That said Cornell despite losing some big names and the coach hasn't really fallen off. Maybe there is more to the tradition of Cornell and less to do with Tambroni? Wasn't it really millions they threw at him?

Yes they threw quite a big contract at him to get him to leave Cornell and I think most people assumed he would be pretty successful. Unfortunately for him and PSU after a tourney birth in 2013 the 2014 was a big letdown and the 2015 season has been a disaster. I think he is a good coach but with the ACC as strong as ever plus Denver and Maryland I don't see him making Penn State a lax destination. With Ohio State improving and Michigan throwing endless money at the program they run the risk of getting lost in the shuffle like there bball programs.

They certainly did And a state retirement... His wife works there as well and is a PSU alumni, also on the state retirement. No a bad gig. They will give him plenty of time as well. He is one of the best recruiters out there, they will be fine. Rough season for sure but also has a young team. It's not an easy road though, I would agree the game has gotten so much more competitive and there are so many good programs and many of them extremely good academic institutions. I think his decision to go there was based on money and the possibility to to build his own program there but I would agree it's been a bit rougher than he had imagined as well. I am rooting for him. Great guy and familiy

Agree with a lot of your thoughts but this is now his 5th year at PSU and I can't imagine the administration thought they would be looking at zero NCAA tournament wins 5 years in and now a 3-7 or whatever record they have. With Ohio State and Michigan now jumping in with two feet and Maryland and JHU now also involved I think there in danger in being stuck in a second tier level ala Gtown in the Big East when Syracuse and ND were in the conference.

he is getting far more than cornell has to offer.

Agree with a lot of your thoughts but this is now his 5th year at PSU and I can't imagine the administration thought they would be looking at zero NCAA tournament wins 5 years in and now a 3-7 or whatever record they have. With Ohio State and Michigan now jumping in with two feet and Maryland and JHU now also involved I think there in danger in being stuck in a second tier level ala Gtown in the Big East when Syracuse and ND were in the conference.

Yes, next year will be a very big year for him without a doubt. He's had modest success up until this year. I am sure he will be given every opportunity at PSU. He is the type of guy that AD's want around their University without a doubt, like I said he is 100% a class act, you will not find a better guy or coach off the field. He is extremely well liked and respected. I also don't think the fan base or boosters are that rabid where anyone will be calling for his head.

His best shot is to grab a couple of under-the-radar-type kids and catch lightening in a bottle. Otherwise, they will have to be happy with one and out in the NCAA's once every 5 or 6 years (at best). Don't know if he survives that long before the next placeholder is hired. As Thruway said above, outside of football, volleyball, water polo, and women's hoops, it is amazing how pedestrian PSU sports really is

As someone who has despised Penn State athletics since at least 1969, it pains me to say that you have short changed them a bit. They have a national-level wrestling program, and their brand new men's hockey team was competitive right off the bat.

As someone who has despised Penn State athletics since at least 1969, it pains me to say that you have short changed them a bit. They have a national-level wrestling program, and their brand new men's hockey team was competitive right off the bat.
I just picked the ones that came to mind quickly. I knew they were good at wrestling.

What's hockey? :D

lol - Tambroni would give his left one to have Desko's record
You know, this stuff about Desko's record is getting very old. Yeah, yeah, "You can talk when you've won 5 national championships!" Well, that's B.S. If a sales person tried to say, "Well, I won salesman of the year 5 years ago!" That doesn't cut it. The sales manager's question is: "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?" In Desko's case, the answer is "Nothing."

5 out of the last 6 years we failed to make the final 4. We lost as 2 seeds 3 times during that stretch and twice it was first round games. Today we lost in the second round as a 2 seed. Actually the 2 seed has not made it past the quarters since the last tittle run Syracuse has had in 2009.

The 2 seed has not been kind to any team in the last 6 years,but we are also the only 2 seed that has lost in the first game of the tournament since 2000 and i haven't checked beyond that

You know, this stuff about Desko's record is getting very old. Yeah, yeah, "You can talk when you've won 5 national championships!" Well, that's B.S. If a sales person tried to say, "Well, I won salesman of the year 5 years ago!" That doesn't cut it. The sales manager's question is: "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?" In Desko's case, the answer is "Nothing."
I agree. Things need to improve. My point was, comparing Desko to Tambroni is laughable.

I agree. Things need to improve. My point was, comparing Desko to Tambroni is laughable.

Comparing them in context of program expectations with regard to where they coach isn't though. Had more to do with Petro than Tambroni anyway. Another dud by Desko, beating Marist and then losing to an average JHU doesn't cut it. PSU wasn't very good this year by any means but like I said, it's about expectations of the particular programs

Exactly as we lost to a Bryant team last year that had nowhere the talent level of Syracuse then lost to HOPKINS who barely made it in to the tournament this year.Desko's teams have been under performing for years now and all we hear is that we have won 5 tittles with him or it's parity. Never about the X'S and O'S.

My favorite (after the last Duke game), was "Miles Jones surprised us ...". lol

IthacaBarrel said:
Comparing them in context of program expectations with regard to where they coach isn't though. Had more to do with Petro than Tambroni anyway. Another dud by Desko, beating Marist and then losing to an average JHU doesn't cut it. PSU wasn't very good this year by any means but like I said, it's about expectations of the particular programs

This JHU team is not average. They had a wreck of a start to the season, but they are as good as anyone right now.