Why Boston College will win | Syracusefan.com

Why Boston College will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
Why BOSTON COLLEGE will win

- We are neither consistently good nor occasionally great. We're still working on being occasionally good. Last week was one of those occasions. You really expect two in a row?

- Because we are SU and just when we thing something good has happened, something bad happens. Remember the great game we had against West Virginia in 2011? We were 5-2 and wondering which bowl we were going to be in. At 9-2, it should be a good one. Except we wound up 5-7. Now we are feeling great at 3-4 with road games at BC and Clemson, a visit by NC State, (against whom we are 1-8 all time), and Florida State followed by a road game at Pitt. I’d take 5-7 right now.

- It’s a strange trend. We haven’t had a road game adversely affected by the weather in years but in Dino Babers first year, we had a windy day at Connecticut, a hurricane and now driving rainstorm at BC. We finally got a passing offense and Mother Nature doesn’t want us to pass.

- BC has a better record than our sterling 3-4: 3-3. They are thinking bowl game and would seem to have a better shot at it.

- The Eagles are exactly the type of (mediocre) team that is most dangerous to SU: a team that grinds it out, keeps the ball (34 minutes a game), and plays good defense, (4th in the country in total defense – and against the pass). They can frustrate a high powered passing team, just like Wake Forest did and just like Connecticut did for much of that game.

- For all the yards we churn out, (480 a game, 28th in the country), we only score 26.4 actual points, (81st in the country). “meathead” Scott Shafer’s offense last year averaged 27.3 points, (77th) on 320 yards per game, (118th). Go figure.

- A big key is making first downs. Against Virginia Tech we had 32 of them and ran 100 plays as a result to 72 for Tech. It wore the Hokies excellent defense down until they were like tissue paper in the 4th quarter. We punted three times. Against Connecticut we made 19 first downs and ran 66 plays to 91, punting 5 times. Against Wake Forest, we got 14 first downs and ran 66 plays to 73. We punted 10 times. Hurry-up offense only works if you move the chains. Otherwise you just punt faster.

- Eric Dungey. Tick. Tick. Tick.

- Vegas thinks BC is 6+ points better. We think we are better. Who makes more money figuring these things out: Us or Vegas?

- This isn’t Our House. It’s theirs.

Last edited:

emmett%20kelly_7.jpg

Why BOSTON COLLEGE will win

- We are neither consistently good nor occasionally great. We're still working on being occasionally good. Last week was one of those occasions. You really expect two in a row?

Great post as always SWC.

I will just take issue with this one point. I think we were better than good last week. I don't know if we were great, because frankly I don't yet know what the ultimate upside of this team's potential is but I think last week was probably closer to great than good.

Anyways, I know that is nitpicky, but I am just trying to ride high on last week since its been 4 years since we did that to a team we had no business doing it to. :)

I need a palate cleanser. Think I'll go check out the "why SU will win" post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom