Why Clemzin will win | Syracusefan.com

Why Clemzin will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Because they’re Clemson and we’re only Syracuse.

- Because we are playing in Death Valley, the toughest place for a visiting team in college football. (Although we’ll be checking out LSU in 2017, so maybe I should hold off on that judgment.)

- Because we are starting a true freshman quarterback against Clemson in Death Valley.

- Clemson’s defense is the best we’ll see all year. The bets comparison is this: to get nay pressure on the backfield, we have to blitz and blitz and blitz. It makes us vulnerable on the backside. Clemson doesn’t. Their front four takes care of that, letting them use 7 guys to cover 4-5 receivers. Remember when we used to get “coverage sacks? You’re going to see plenty of them tomorrow- when we have the ball.

- Their offense is a shadow of what it was last year due to graduation and injuries but their defense is a windshield and our offense is a bug heading for it. This game will be just like Maryland, Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State: we may appear to be in the game in the sense that we aren’t getting our doors blown off but we never really come close to having a real chance to win it.

- AJ Long’s famous confidence may fade a little after his first encounter with Vic Beasley. Coach Shafer said that he’s “just trying to keep our quarterback alive”. That doesn’t exactly exude confidence. Behind AJ is the little-used Mitch Kimble and behind him is our punter, Riley Dixon, who played some quarterback in high school. Ugh.

- Mike Williams gets around. He leaves out team, goes to Tampa Bay, become a star receiver, (of sorts), and then comes home to Buffalo, where he again has problems. Now Clemson has him. They say it’s a different Mike Williams but this one is a big and fast and as good, so who knows?

- If you want to pull off an upset on the road you’ve got to quiet the crowd with a strong start. One thing that Clemson has done well this year is to dominate the fourth quarter. 55-20. We are 19-41, with one first quarter touchdown all year. And you know that if we win the toss, Shafer will defer to the home team and give Clemson the ball to start with.

- We’ve penciled this in as a loss even before the season began. I’ve even quoted the Syracuse record in the last week as “3-5”. I wish I was wrong.

The voice of reason. But I still didn't like your bug-windshield analogy.:mad:

;)
ato0037ljpg_zps0ac77647.png

- Because they’re Clemson and we’re only Syracuse.

- Because we are playing in Death Valley, the toughest place for a visiting team in college football. (Although we’ll be checking out LSU in 2017, so maybe I should hold off on that judgment.)

- Because we are starting a true freshman quarterback against Clemson in Death Valley.

- Clemson’s defense is the best we’ll see all year. The bets comparison is this: to get nay pressure on the backfield, we have to blitz and blitz and blitz. It makes us vulnerable on the backside. Clemson doesn’t. Their front four takes care of that, letting them use 7 guys to cover 4-5 receivers. Remember when we used to get “coverage sacks? You’re going to see plenty of them tomorrow- when we have the ball.

- Their offense is a shadow of what it was last year due to graduation and injuries but their defense is a windshield and our offense is a bug heading for it. This game will be just like Maryland, Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State: we may appear to be in the game in the sense that we aren’t getting our doors blown off but we never really come close to having a real chance to win it.

- AJ Long’s famous confidence may fade a little after his first encounter with Vic Beasley. Coach Shafer said that he’s “just trying to keep our quarterback alive”. That doesn’t exactly exude confidence. Behind AJ is the little-used Mitch Kimble and behind him is our punter, Riley Dixon, who played some quarterback in high school. Ugh.

- Mike Williams gets around. He leaves out team, goes to Tampa Bay, become a star receiver, (of sorts), and then comes home to Buffalo, where he again has problems. Now Clemson has him. They say it’s a different Mike Williams but this one is a big and fast and as good, so who knows?

- If you want to pull off an upset on the road you’ve got to quiet the crowd with a strong start. One thing that Clemson has done well this year is to dominate the fourth quarter. 55-20. We are 19-41, with one first quarter touchdown all year. And you know that if we win the toss, Shafer will defer to the home team and give Clemson the ball to start with.

- We’ve penciled this in as a loss even before the season began. I’ve even quoted the Syracuse record in the last week as “3-5”. I wish I was wrong.
'Fraid so...

Clemson has won 23 straight games over unranked teams.

I think this game will be closer than the spread. I don't have a lot of faith in our offense until they show at least a little threat rushing.

CousinClem said:
Clemson has won 23 straight games over unranked teams. I think this game will be closer than the spread. I don't have a lot of faith in our offense until they show at least a little threat rushing.

Money is on you guys. But you're due ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom