Why do fans think the have a better idea who should play than the coaches? | Syracusefan.com

Why do fans think the have a better idea who should play than the coaches?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Every year it’s the same topic. Some fan's think X player should play over Y player. I don't get it. As fans most of us very rarely see what happens behind the scene. We don't know who is/isn't good in practice, and we don't necessarily know the game plan for certain opponents. Sometimes we see bench players for 2 minutes, they do one thing great and people think they should play 30. Like our fans think they are collectively smarter than our staff?

I got slammed before the season for saying Lydon was going to play the 5 a ton this year, and he's ended up playing the 5 more than anyone else on the team. Why has he played there? Probably because he looked the best out of anyone there at practice, I don't know!

I'm all for debating strategies/play calls against teams. That should be up for debate. I just don't get why fans think X player should play over Y player when we see these guys for at most 7 hours a week including warm ups in the dome and the coaches see them for 20 hours a week.

Hi, welcome to the internet, I have been alive for over 30 years. Nice to meet you.

Exactly. I'm trying to have a discussion. Did I offend you?

Because sometimes coaches are wrong! I know that's a crazy statement to make.

Every year it’s the same topic. Some fan's think X player should play over Y player. I don't get it.

It's just part of the overall entertainment process of being a sports fan. At the end of the day, 18-22 year old kids putting a ball through a hoop doesn't really mean anything -- it's just a pleasant distraction from work, etc.

Every year it’s the same topic. Some fan's think X player should play over Y player. I don't get it. As fans most of us very rarely see what happens behind the scene. We don't know who is/isn't good in practice, and we don't necessarily know the game plan for certain opponents. Sometimes we see bench players for 2 minutes, they do one thing great and people think they should play 30. Like our fans think they are collectively smarter than our staff?

I got slammed before the season for saying Lydon was going to play the 5 a ton this year, and he's ended up playing the 5 more than anyone else on the team. Why has he played there? Probably because he looked the best out of anyone there at practice, I don't know!

I'm all for debating strategies/play calls against teams. That should be up for debate. I just don't get why fans think X player should play over Y player when we see these guys for at most 7 hours a week including warm ups in the dome and the coaches see them for 20 hours a week.

You may not want to visit this board then or follow sports. This is a constant topic of discussion

Further, why do you feel you are more qualified to discuss what plays to run when you are not watching how those plays work in practice? Your argument is not persuasive at all.

Lastly, this post seems like a passive aggressive way to pat yourself on the back for predicting Lydon would play the 5 a lot. Therefore, on behalf of the board, I say Bravo! to you.

You may not want to visit this board then or follow sports. This is a constant topic of discussion

Further, why do you feel you are more qualified to discuss what plays to run when you are not watching how those plays work in practice? Your argument is not persuasive at all.

Lastly, this post seems like a passive aggressive way to pat yourself on the back for predicting Lydon would play the 5 a lot. Therefore, on behalf of the board, I say Bravo! to you.

I legit am really trying to have a conversation about this. I'm not trying to be passive aggressive at all. I don't know why people are offended by this. It's a legit topic to discuss. I agree fan's can have their opinion, just trying to see what it's based on.

I legit am really trying to have a conversation about this. I'm not trying to be passive aggressive at all. I don't know why people are offended by this. It's a legit topic to discuss. I agree fan's can have their opinion, just trying to see what it's based on.

And i shared my thoughts about your thoughts. So now come up with a response about why i am wrong.

I am not offended. I just feel your point on this particular topic is garbage.

Sliding your tyler lydon reference in is a bit of a zero add to your point.

You fail to discuss why you feel it is appropriate to discuss plays but not who to play.

And i shared my thoughts about your thoughts. So now come up with a response about why i am wrong.

I am not offended. I just feel your point on this particular topic is garbage.

Sliding your tyler lydon reference in is a bit of a zero add to your point.

You fail to discuss why you feel it is appropriate to discuss plays but not who to play.

Strategic decisions are made on the fly and up for discussion IMO. Everyone things differently under pressure.

Player decisions are made over the course of months/weeks/years.

I really don't think the topic is garbage. I legit think some of our fans think they have a better idea who to play than our staff.

Speaking for myself only...In no way am I qualified to say who should play but here are some reasons I am likely to bit#$ about it anyways

1) The Brazilian girls really look to me for my basketball insights:) (see avatar)
2) I do think Jimmy has a short leash at times and I for one get frustrated by the quick hooks on certain players. I hear the arguments on both sides of this discussion but I lean towards allowing kids to play without looking over their shoulder.

3) I am just grasping for straws when things aren't going well for the team.

Most of the playing time discussions are around getting comfortable with giving one guy or another a few more minutes per game and giving another player a few more minutes rest per game. They aren't typically about JB has them evaluated all wrong and Kaleb and Chino should be starting and G and Roberson shouldn't play.

Some people think the risk of playing that sub a few more minutes a game would be outweighed by the benefit that the better play might gain from being a bit more rested down the stretch.

In that regard they are strategy discussions. So by your definition those discussions are appropriate for the board.

Strategic decisions are made on the fly and up for discussion IMO. Everyone things differently under pressure.

Player decisions are made over the course of months/weeks/years.

I really don't think the topic is garbage. I legit think some of our fans think they have a better idea who to play than our staff.

And you are saying you have a better idea of what plays to call then the staff?

Here are my thoughts:

[ ] There are many, many more metrics now to evaluate players individually and in a combination to give evidence to support an assertion.

[ ] Unless the team is dominating, there's a natural tendency to think something else is better - backup QB syndrome.

[ ] If it seems like the program is trying to win now at the cost of building a real contender in the future. Frank Howard, imo, is a perfect example of this. MCW was an example of it in the past.

skurey said:

Tactics maybe but not strategic.

My only problem with those discussions are when people say or insinuate that the coaches don't know what they're doing because they don't play who fans think they should. Coaches aren't always right but they always know more than the fans.

Losing coaches, a lot. Winning coaches, not so much. One of the winningest coaches really not so often. they are the ones who really, really know better than those here.

Because I've seen specific situations (Josh Pace, Jerami Grant) where fans used the "he's not ready, JB knows better" line and then,magically, the player plays due to circumstances and we've been alright and sometimes better.

I definitely think the alternative is possible too. It's just an opinion.
JB's opinion is more informed than ours. I don't think it's up for debate, but he can be wrong too, ya know.

As somebody not offended by this, I say any and all things related to the team are up for fans to debate. Fans are the ones that support the program, emotionally and financially. For that reason, fans can say whatever they want. It doesn't hurt anybody when fans discuss who should or shouldn't be on the court.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is just human nature. Why do people always think they are smarter than the boss? Why do people have a conspiracy theory for absolutely everything? It is just how people's minds work.

Because I've seen specific situations (Josh Pace, Jerami Grant) where fans used the "he's not ready, JB knows better" line and then,magically, the player plays due to circumstances and we've been alright and sometimes better.

I definitely think the alternative is possible too. It's just an opinion.
JB's opinion is more informed than ours. I don't think it's up for debate, but he can be wrong too, ya know.

Jerami Grant didn't magically become better. He spent months working out, getting bigger and stronger and working on his game. Fab Melo did the same. It's not magic. Often times kids like him can play in a pinch but we have better options. James Southerland was better that season.

The coaches are not wrong. The outcomes may not be in keeping the anticipated results based on the known facts when the decisions on PT were made, but that doesn't make the decision wrong.

I love to debate stuff like this so I'll take a swing at it.

First off, those like me who want to see more of Howard than the 2 minutes we were seeing earlier this season have been proven right because we are seeing much more time for him than back then. Not a single one of us, that I know of, was looking for Howard and Cooney to swap minutes, just for the balance to move a tiny bit more toward Howard getting to the 15 minute point, and Cooney not having his legs fall off, again, near the end of the season. I don't care what JB says at times (and often contradicts himself), kids can't play that many minutes all season long without an inevitable let down.

I'm not sure who beat you up about Lydon getting the minutes, but it really shouldn't be all that surprising. The knee injury and subsequent surgery for DCII were very traumatic and really set him back as a player. The other reason that it shouldn't have been all that surprising is that Lydon gets more minutes because of his offense, and not his defense. Without a guy like Rak, our offense will never be meant for a big man to score regularly. A more multi-faceted offensive game like the one Lydon has, is much more in tune with what JB wants to do offensively so of course he gets more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom