Why does Syracuse's break-up with IMG matter? A look at multimedia rights and college football (PS) | Syracusefan.com

Why does Syracuse's break-up with IMG matter? A look at multimedia rights and college football (PS)

Might only be of interest to me, but the fact that Giansante referred comment to someone outside Athletics would seem to supprt that the negotiations aren't being done by the SUAD

Might only be of interest to me, but the fact that Giansante referred comment to someone outside Athletics would seem to supprt that the negotiations aren't being done by the SUAD

Is Giasante the PR guy?

Considering the upward trend of the football program, maybe a short term deal is the way to go. I would hate to be locked up long term if the program takes off the way a lot of people, myself included, expect.

Full_Rebar said:
Yes, he's Chief Communications Exec Sr. Assoc AD or something like that.

Ok makes sense I thought he had a different title for some reason.

Ok makes sense I thought he had a different title for some reason.

He might-just going by what I remember him listed in some of those stories. Titles seem to be plentiful at Manley.

Anyway, back on topic, heard that Syverud has a 2nd in command who came from Ohio St and that guy is apparently in charge of a lot of operations stuff happening on campus. Possible that he's the person running these negotiations...but it's getting close to the start of the season to not have something done.

The second line of that article is perhaps the most absurd thing I have ever read about college athletics..

The game hasn't been corrupted by money.

:rolling:

Money is a farrrrrr worse influence on college sports than it is on professional sports. Like, by orders of magnitude.

The second line of that article is perhaps the most absurd thing I have ever read about college athletics..

The game hasn't been corrupted by money.

:rolling:

Money is a farrrrrr worse influence on college sports than it is on professional sports. Like, by orders of magnitude.

By definition it is far worse.

Pro is short for Professional. Meaning, athletes get paid to do it and there is money involved.

College sports are supposed to be amateur. Meaning no money should be involved.

I would rather have a long term deal than a short term one. No one knows what will happen when JB leaves and who knows where the nuclear arms race that is college football is headed. A short term deal could turn into a Big East tv deal situation when they turned down 11mil per team a year, had the majority of the value in the league leave, and ended up with a couple cartons of rez cigs and a .

By definition it is far worse.

Pro is short for Professional. Meaning, athletes get paid to do it and there is money involved.

College sports are supposed to be amateur. Meaning no money should be involved.

I'm of the opinion that college sports haven't truly been "amateur" for several decades.

That aside, at least in pro sports the money aspect is largely transparent. Everyone knows the amounts and how pervasive it is.

In college sports the monetary aspect is often shrouded in secrecy.

The article has a few weaknesses. To compare each deal, it's based upon how much a University is willing to outsource its operations. The reporter did not do his homework.

If SU wants to outsource the sales of corporate box seats, the deal increases. Same goes for food ops, season ticket sales, advertising, multimedia, etc. The more you outsource, the bigger the deal - so no 2 deals can be the same.

The sports marketing company is not obligated to pay University wages & benefits so by definition they can make more money doing the same jobs. They would also get seat pricing right whereas the SU doesn't seem to think its a problem televising empty seats.

Finally long term deals are the norm. The sports marketing companies develop corporate relationships and those relationships are highly valuable and tend to be in the hundreds of thousands if not higher. It takes a long time to develop those relationships. Most likely the current contracts in place with IMG are now null and void and I cannot imagine how much revenue could be lost the longer SU takes to decide.

From what I gather, the decision has been taken out of the hands of the Athletic Dept and will be decided on by Syverud's hatchet man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom