Why I think not starting Hill is a BIG mistake | Syracusefan.com

Why I think not starting Hill is a BIG mistake

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Bobby Wardwell has done a nice job as the starting goalie for Syracuse this year. He has had a couple of quality starts including Army, Cornell, and Albany and one great start Duke. However, he has struggled against the upper echelon of the league this year and was beat repeatedly by the midfields of ND and UNC. Against an elite team I personally dont have the belieft that Bobby can put in the kind of performance that Shane Doss did against us from ND or Burke in the first half for UNC. With the Syracuse Defense clearly having some holes (3rd close defender/SSDM against physical middies) we are going to need a huge performance by our goaltender in the NCAA tournament to return to Memorial Day.

Having watched Wardwell play for 4 years now he certainly is a Div 1 quality starter but he hasn't shown the ability to stand on his head against an elite opponent. I certainly dont know if Warren Hill can be that guy, but I saw him make saves against UNC in the second half that I dont believe Wardwell would have made. Clearing issues aside I believe the staff should give Hill a chance to see what he can do especially when you consider that Syracuse will clearly be taking a step back next year with the loss of so many high end offensive players (5 of 6 offensive starters). I fear when Hill is the starter next year putting in some excellent performances we will be left wondering "what if"?

I think that Hill is a great natural goalie, maybe the coaching staff are comparing him to how they likes their Goalies to play, maybe Warrens technique in goal doesn't fit Donahues vision as much. I think there are a lot of intangibles involved in Goalkeeping and this should be considered!

I said at the start of the year that Id hoped the coaches didn't try and change him Too much, but more tweak his game. Coaches are coaches and Bobby has been there for 4 years! He's going to understand Donahues wishes a little more.

I thought Donahues technique let Hill down a little on Saturday, if you watch Goldstocks diving goal on the left post, Donahue likes his goalies to step across the goal when the opponent shoots to the opposite pipe and it made Hill step across and open up near side. Although Coach Donahue likes them to hold the pipe with what he knowledgabley calls the "Pencil" , this is where your Goalie stands tall on the near post, with this in mind it may have been poor technique selection from Warren!

Desko mentioned clearing in the Cusetv interview but I don't think either Goal on Sat scored by a hard riding heels offense was really Warrens fault!

I think that Hill is a great natural goalie, maybe the coaching staff are comparing him to how they likes their Goalies to play, maybe Warrens technique in goal doesn't fit Donahues vision as much. I think there are a lot of intangibles involved in Goalkeeping and this should be considered!

I said at the start of the year that Id hoped the coaches didn't try and change him Too much, but more tweak his game. Coaches are coaches and Bobby has been there for 4 years! He's going to understand Donahues wishes a little more.

I thought Donahues technique let Hill down a little on Saturday, if you watch Goldstocks diving goal on the left post, Donahue likes his goalies to step across the goal when the opponent shoots to the opposite pipe and it made Hill step across and open up near side. Although Coach Donahue likes them to hold the pipe with what he knowledgabley calls the "Pencil" , this is where your Goalie stands tall on the near post, with this in mind it may have been poor technique selection from Warren!

Desko mentioned clearing in the Cusetv interview but I don't think either Goal on Sat scored by a hard riding heels offense was really Warrens fault!

Great points, the influence of Coach Donahue is definitely an overlooked aspect by many here including myself.

start wardwell and change up at the half. let's have one good last look at both these guys before tourney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom