Why isn't K taking heat | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't K taking heat

Melo: Gold medals help ease sting if no NBA title

Coach K loves Melo.

I love how they used him as the screener in the screen and roll. You never see that with the Knicks. That's what the Knicks should do with him. Maybe now that they have D rose, you see that more.

You know, I wonder how some Lin/Melo pick and rolls would have worked out...

(yeah that was a troll comment. I seem to remember Melo/Amare pick and rolls were pretty successful, though obviously not with Melo as the screener)

Man, what was coach K thinking?

It's a pretty tough job as far as getting any credit. You win, and it's "so? They should blow everybody out." You lose and you get crushed. You have some close games and get criticized.

Not a position for the thin-skinned, that's for sure.

Well Apparently the Duke board thinks Harrison Barnes is the worst Olympian ever...

It's a pretty tough job as far as getting any credit. You win, and it's "so? They should blow everybody out." You lose and you get crushed. You have some close games and get criticized.

Not a position for the thin-skinned, that's for sure.

It's pretty impressive I think that he stuck around for this cycle

I will say this and Collins mentioned it a few times. K pushed the right buttons during the flow of the game and got that second unit in more with Durant during these medal round games. If he played the starters more they may have lost a few games ago. Melo and most of the first unit (except for Klay and Jordan who replaced Cousins) was garbage. When K brought in George, Butler, Lowry, Cousins (better off the bench) they got it going and then when Durant would come in to replace Butler it was all over.

Last edited:
That they took a college player or the one they picked? I thought it was a cool idea

Both. I don't see the point of taking one college guy that is not on the same level as the rest of the team. I would have rather seen that spot go to another deserving NBA star who belonged on that level of a team like a James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Kevin McHale, etc.

And if they had to take one college guy, Shaq was far and away the #1 pro prospect in that class. Laettner's Duke team(he was great but they were freakin loaded) accomplishments getting him that spot never sat right with me.

Both. I don't see the point of taking one college guy that is not on the same level as the rest of the team. I would have rather seen that spot go to another deserving NBA star who belonged on that level of a team like a James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Kevin McHale, etc.

And if they had to take one college guy, Shaq was far and away the #1 pro prospect in that class. Laettner's Duke team(he was great but they were freakin loaded) accomplishments getting him that spot never sat right with me.

Yeah I hear you on Shaq; I'm pretty sure that even at that age, Shaq was one of the 12 best players in the US at that point. He averaged 23-14 as a rookie. I doubt he got all that much better between July and October of 1992.

And to add on, I even think taking a young NBA star like one of the recent rookies of the year: Derrick Coleman, Larry Johnson, or a rising young star like a Shawn Kemp would've been a better move if they wanted a young player. Those guys didn't become legends, but they were better pros than Laettner and at the time they would've belonged on that team much more as they already had proven to be very good NBA players.

And to add on, I even think taking a young NBA star like one of the recent rookies of the year: Derrick Coleman, Larry Johnson, or a rising young star like a Shawn Kemp would've been a better move if they wanted a young player. Those guys didn't become legends, but they were better pros than Laettner and at the time they would've belonged on that team much more as they already had proven to be very good NBA players.

If they selected Kemp, there would be little Kemps all over Spain right now.

A lot of the guys said Laettner was fine because unlike Shaq he just went for the ride. Hard to deny a guy that spot considering his career.

Reactions: cto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom