Why Syracuse will win | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We always seem to link Clemson with Florida State. They are the two power programs in our division that we are never likely to beat. The fact is, Clemson isn’t Florida State. They are 8-19 vs. the Seminoles, including 6-3 during Bobby Bowden’s dotage. They can beat them when the Noles are flying low but they, like us, get the Florida B-listers while State gets the A-listers. I think, over time we’ll see that Florida State is the clear #1 in this division and that Clemson and Louisville will be a step behind them, about as good as we used to be in 80’s and 90’s. Our goal is to get that good again. When we do, we should be very competitive with the Tigers.

- And this Clemson team is the team they had last year. They lost their top skill players, quarterback Tajh Boyd, running back Roderick McDowell and wide-outs Sammy Watkins and Martavis Bryant. Since then they’ve lost quarterbacks Chad Kelly and DeShawn Watkins, running backs Zac Brooks, Adam Choice and Kurt Fleming, wide receivers Kyrin Preaster and Charone Peake and tight end Jordan Leggett. In the line they are missing Jerome Maybank Joe Guillermo and Shaq Anthony. Other players who might play but are trying to get over injuries: quarterback Cliff Stoudt running back Tyshawn Dye, wide-out Adam Humphries and tackle Joe Gore. Not all of those guys were starters but this list makes out injury problems look almost minor.

- We had a thread this that SU’s defense, which depends heavily on the blitz, works well against offensive challenged teams like Wake Forest. They in, effect, stationary targets for our blitzers. The more talented teams can pick up the blitz or take advantage of it with screens , draws and “hot” passes for big yardage. Normally Clemson would be in the alter group but with all their injuries and a hurting Cliff Stoudt at quarterback, I think they might be in the former group right now.

- The best way to deal with a strong defensive line is to run right at them. You’re going to have to deal with them anyway. You might as well be going forward. We’ve got a good line and some fine running backs. We can do it. And there we’ve got 6-7 guys going against their 5 guys. Let’s make their defensive backfield, which is also missing a couple of guys, move up to help the line out. Then they might be a little vulnerable deep, too.

- Our line is going to be there, right in front of those Tigers on the defensive line. Our guys aren’t going away. We’re tied for 9th in the NCAA is avoiding sacks with only 6 in 7 games. We’re also 20th with only 6 turnovers in 7 games. They are tied for third with 26 sacks recorded in 7 games. We’ve actually forced more turnovers than they have, 13-10.That should be a good battle and it won’t be all their way.

- We have complained out not having any playmakers all year. What we lacked was a quarterback who could get the ball to them. Terrel Hunt was a strong running quarterback but his passing had so badly regressed, he looked like he needed glasses. He was over or under-throwing passes or throwing behind the receivers, forcing them to stop and catch the ball and throwing bullets when some touch was needed. AJ Long hasn’t bene perfect but he’s throwing catchable balls to receivers in stride, enabling them to make plays. And he’s quicker than the lumbering Hunt, a better scrambler, which may hold him in good stead vs. Mr. Beasley and friends.

- The most impressive thing about AJ is his confidence, which would borders on cockiness except it seems more of a conviction than an attitude. That’s what the great ones have. If he can come out of this with that confidence in tact, nothing he faces on a football field from here on in will ever scare him. He may have it in mind to prove just that.

- We’ve thought of this one as being “off the table all season but it’s on the table right now. In the very center, on a silver platter. We’ve beaten Villanova, Central Michigan and Wake Forest. So what? Our Orangemen know they need a big scalp and that this is a great chance to get one.

- The fans can’t score. Their noise my move the earthquake meter but they can’t change the scoreboard.

3-4 with 5+ to go…..

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Can't really argue with any of it other than that our recruiting has been taking FSU B listers however, we've been getting our fairshare of recruits head up against them for a few years now. One other ticky tack piece - Beasley is faster than your young QB...

That said, our O is hurting for sure, but the same Clemson defense isn't there either.

Winston came in and shocked the world, and made his name, last year at Clemson. Maybe your kid will do the same.

Oh, and Cole is wondering if his dad Cliff still has eligibility left?:cool:

Syracuse will win because they have never lost a game that my son attended.

by1LosB.jpg

That's awesome...be sure to go by the student union for ice cream...heck, don't even need a kid to do that.

You make good points. I'm ready for the game to start now so we can see how it all plays out.

I do agree with Tiger Town, however, in disputing the B list recruiting assumption. Our last three classes have been loaded with players who had multiple offers from top 25 programs. For starters, we go to Florida when we have a bead on a player who could stay home and be a star but is looking for something different - maybe just further from home. We don't get too tangled up with kids who make it clear they want to be either Gators or Seminoles.

Our primary targets are in the state of South Carolina. There aren't as many top in state players here but there aren't as many in state schools recruiting them either. After that, we work Georgia and North Carolina. Georgia is almost as rich in HS talent as Florida. Since Dabo has been in charge, we appear to be getting one top Georgia player for every 2-3 that UGA gets. For whatever reason, we seem to have more luck with top recruits than Ga Tech so it works out pretty well for us. As for North Carolina, if a top HS player wants to play for a top notch program that's fairly close to home, we're probably his best option for the time being.

Don't get me wrong. We love getting good players from Florida. Just don't get the idea that we're settling for their leftovers.

I'd be ok if Adam Humphries didn't play.

So would I as a Clemson fan. He is a great guy, and a hard worker, but he takes away snaps from Artavis Scott, a true freshman who can take hitch passes and turn them into 5 to 8 yards each time; Humphries turns the same pass into at most a 2 yard game.

You do realize that scott is a frosh and still misses assignments. Also...scott is getting a great majority of the snaps, no one gets all the snaps at wr positions.

So would I as a Clemson fan. He is a great guy, and a hard worker, but he takes away snaps from Artavis Scott, a true freshman who can take hitch passes and turn them into 5 to 8 yards each time; Humphries turns the same pass into at most a 2 yard game.

You do realize that scott is a frosh and still misses assignments. Also...scott is getting a great majority of the snaps, no one gets all the snaps at wr positions.

Yes, and yes. However, you take your lumps and roll with the skill. I have no problem rolling with hump as a reliever. However, he brings nothing in short yardage skill. When was the last time he gained more than 3 or 4 yards on a jet sweep? Ever? His short-area elusiveness is not even in the same realm as Scott.

The good news is that Scott is getting most of the targets on hitches and screens now. The difference in the results between the two aren't even close.

For the year:
Humphries- 17 catches for 131 yards (long of 25 yds) and 0 touchdowns
Scott- 38 catches for 443 yards (long of 69 yds) and 3 touchdowns

Humphries yards per catch is the lowest of any wide receiver on the team. He is only ahead of the Running backs and one tight end (who has only played one game due to injury-Cooper).

Last edited:
Here's to hoping they have stellar careers - except against us.

Our TE is pretty good and will be a nice outlet for AJ: Josh Parris

AJ shows in his personality re his confidence "more conviction than attitude". I like that. It was embodied in the way he responded both earlier this year and recently when he was called out on his comments. Very good potential in this kid every which way. Can't wait to see how he does tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom