Will #44 run out of the tunnel for us in 2016? | Syracusefan.com

Will #44 run out of the tunnel for us in 2016?

Will there be a #44 on the field by 2016?

• Yes, Robert Washington

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • Yes, Someone Else

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters

Cuse_Albs

Scout Team
After this PR nightmare the last few days, who believes that RW, or someone else will get to don the #44 in the next few years?

I was 100% it was going to RW, until the clarification comment, but I believe if there is anyone deserving of the highest honor we have at Cuse, it is him. Now it's up to the "committee" to decided. Let's hope they get this one right.

Everyone's thoughts?

Last edited:
There was no retraction.

This is what people don't seem to get. They just said the exact same thing yesterday that was stated Tuesday, only with much weaker, confusing phrasing.

It was always up to a committee to decide, and that's what they said on Tuesday as well. Yesterday changed absolutely nothing, no matter how much the local media wants to try to spin it that way.

Please, please, please, people, understand this.

See, this is why the "clarification" yesterday was so goddamn stupid. All of the positive buzz from Tuesday is gone because SU decided that they needed to "clarify" something that was already stated much more plainly and clearly.

See, this is why the "clarification" yesterday was so goddamn stupid. All of the positive buzz from Tuesday is gone because SU decided that they needed to "clarify" something that was already stated much more plainly and clearly.
Edit: Changed retraction to clarification.

And I totally agree but with our Athletic Dept. anything is possible. I just hope to hell that Robert gets the chance to wear the # from day one. We need something to bring us to the next level. Will this be it? I can't say for certain but it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Either way, will RW be our next #44?

After all these years, and especially all the time it took to get Jim back on board, as an part of SU, if he wants Robert to wear it , no committee is saying no.

No true freshman deserves that number IMO. Wearing #44 should be earned, it's as simple as that.

I'm as jacked up as anyone about RW and what his future at SU could potentially be, but we need to be realists here. He's a stud in HS, as are most recruits that play ball in college. That does not mean he's automatically going to go down as one of the all-time greats in SU history. I hope that he gets to wear #44, or someone else in fact, but it has to be EARNED first.

That number carries an incredible amount of tradition and we need to honor that with respect. The coaching staff, along with the committee, will know exactly who that number belongs to, if anyone at all. These kids should be fighting tooth and nail to be the absolute best, for the ultimate honor while at Cuse, of wearing #44.

No true freshman deserves that number IMO. Wearing #44 should be earned, it's as simple as that.

I'm as jacked up as anyone about RW and what his future at SU could potentially be, but we need to be realists here. He's a stud in HS, as are most recruits that play ball in college. That does not mean he's automatically going to go down as one of the all-time greats in SU history. I hope that he gets to wear #44, or someone else in fact, but it has to be EARNED first.

That number carries an incredible amount of tradition and we need to honor that with respect. The coaching staff, along with the committee, will know exactly who that number belongs to, if anyone at all. These kids should be fighting tooth and nail to be the absolute best, for the ultimate honor while at Cuse, of wearing #44.

So you want to change the way it has been used since the 50's? It's ALWAYS given to a true freshman deemed worthy. It's then up to that kid to live up to it. Im ok giving it to a senior for a year if they exemplify everything about the # and it's not in use but it should 100% be given to a highly touted freshman who fits the criteria.

Rocco said:
No true freshman deserves that number IMO. Wearing #44 should be earned, it's as simple as that. I'm as jacked up as anyone about RW and what his future at SU could potentially be, but we need to be realists here. He's a stud in HS, as are most recruits that play ball in college. That does not mean he's automatically going to go down as one of the all-time greats in SU history. I hope that he gets to wear #44, or someone else in fact, but it has to be EARNED first. That number carries an incredible amount of tradition and we need to honor that with respect. The coaching staff, along with the committee, will know exactly who that number belongs to, if anyone at all. These kids should be fighting tooth and nail to be the absolute best, for the ultimate honor while at Cuse, of wearing #44.

It's never been earned in that way. I don't get changing tradition to honor the tradition. Makes no sense.

Making it a carrot for those striving for greatness won't work and it won't honor anything at all. The number is not a measuring stick or a bar to be raised. It's meant as a living reminder of those who wore it before you.

Did Little earn it? Konrad? Davis? DC on the basketball side? Are lacrosse players earning 22?

So you want to change the way it has been used since the 50's? It's ALWAYS given to a true freshman deemed worthy. It's then up to that kid to live up to it. Im ok giving it to a senior for a year if they exemplify everything about the # and it's not in use but it should 100% be given to a highly touted freshman who fits the criteria.

Freshmen were ineligible to play in the 50's and 60's.

I could be wrong, but I think Ernie and Floyd didn't receive the number until they were sophomores and made the varsity squad.

It's never been earned in that way. I don't get changing tradition to honor the tradition. Makes no sense.

Making it a carrot for those striving for greatness won't work and it won't honor anything at all. The number is not a measuring stick or a bar to be raised. It's meant as a living reminder of those who wore it before you.

Did Little earn it? Konrad? Davis? DC on the basketball side? Are lacrosse players earning 22?
there is no real tradition.

we've covered this.

the # mystique is the Big 3.

the University then made it more than that.

mac and P tried to re-ignite the RB fire, 20 & 30 years after it was gloriously worn. didnt stay lit.

if its brought back, it needs to be brought back bigger than just giving it to some kid RB as a recruiting tool.

Here's the middle ground. I think RW will be here for Spring Ball. If he is as advertised during Spring and Fall practice - give him the digits.

there is no real tradition.

we've covered this.

the # mystique is the Big 3.

the University then made it more than that.

mac and P tried to re-ignite the RB fire, 20 & 30 years after it was gloriously worn. didnt stay lit.

if its brought back, it needs to be brought back bigger than just giving it to some kid RB as a recruiting tool.

If "we've covered this" means you said it and no one agreed with you then yeah, you have a point.

Agreed. The mystique is the big three. That's why having it on the field will honor them more than if it's in the rafters.

The University did make it more than that. It's culture and tradition. It's everything that's right about CFB at Syracuse.

Mac and P are irrelevant. The players who wore it during that era did their jobs: Wore it with honor and brought a spotlight onto those who wore it before them.

It will be back. And it will be a big deal. And it will be what it's always been: #44.

It's been restored for a reason. They're not just doing this to do it.

It never would've been discussed if a grassroots movement in the community didn't gain some traction. Then a recruit made it known that it meant something to him. Now it's back in the rotation, should the committee feel somebody is worthy.

To get back to the original headline, yes, it will be on the field in 2016.

Also: it's irrelevant if a player lives up to the number or not.

(ex. Where's the line? All-American? Heisman finalist?)

If "we've covered this" means you said it and no one agreed with you then yeah, you have a point. If nobody agree with me, then its their fault. im right about 99.9% of the time on here.

Agreed. The mystique is the big three. That's why having it on the field will honor them more than if it's in the rafters. debatable.

The University did make it more than that. It's culture and tradition. It's everything that's right about CFB at Syracuse. damn straight.

Mac and P are irrelevant. The players who wore it during that era did their jobs: Wore it with honor and brought a spotlight onto those who wore it before them. no argument

It will be back. And it will be a big deal. And it will be what it's always been: #44. fine.

but it needs to be bigger than what it was before. dont make it a recruiting tool. dont hand it out like a tootsie roll at halloween when you are out of the bigger candy bars.

let more than just the RBs wear it, that ship has sailed. like you said...the university has made it more than that.

But I think they ARE planning on making it more than just a recruiting tool. They kept mentioning that you have to be more than just a good football player - you need to be a leader, a good citizen, and a good student. In other words, a well rounded role model and overall extraordinary individual, a la Ernie Davis. So it's not like every 4-star talent is going to be offered 44 when it's available, if they don't meet all parts of that criteria.

I think we just happened to luck out that the current 4-star RB actually DOES tick off those boxes, which is why I think there's so much support to give him the number.

Is a bear catholic?
Pope-Bear.jpeg