Class of 2017 - Wish List | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Wish List

There's no such thing as renewing scholarships anymore. As of last July 1 all scholarships are guaranteed for four years. If Joseph wants to stay, he will stay.

There's no such thing as renewing scholarships anymore. As of last July 1 all scholarships are guaranteed for four years. If Joseph wants to stay, he will stay.

Schools can give out 4 year scholarships but many don't. Joseph did not come in with a 4 year scholarship and even if he did if you believe that if Joseph wants to stay he will, then quite frankly you do not understand how this game works. Ask Paul Harris about that. Again, there is an extremely high chance that Kaleb won't be back, and if I were him I would have transferred after last season. He will never really play again at SU and schools can offer scholarships by year if they chose or even partials, so yes scholarships still have to be renewed depending on the case. Not sure where you even got that information from.

"At a minimum, an athletic scholarship must be a one academic year agreement. In Division I, institutions are permitted to offer multiyear scholarships. Athletic scholarships may be renewed and the school must notify the student-athlete in writing by July 1 whether the athletic scholarship will be renewed for the next academic year. Individual schools have appeal policies for scholarships that are reduced or not renewed. In most cases, the coach decides who gets a scholarship, what it covers and whether it will be renewed."

Last edited:
Last July 1 the ACC made all scholarships 4 year scholarships. Obviously, if Joseph wants to leave he can, but it's his decision.

Where does it say that they have to offer you a 4 year scholarship?
The point is; The rules are changing. More important what makes you think that JB ever failed to renew a scholarship. I went to school with JB and have followed SU basketball ever since. I am unaware of any player who was ever told that his scholarship wasn't going to be renewed. Now, JB has for his whole career had a meeting after the season with each player and in his blunt direct way expressed his expectations for that player for the upcoming year. A lot of years ago as I recall, JB was asked by the PS about the circumstances of a player who transferred. He was quoted as telling the player "you can stay but you won't play much." Players have transferred over the years because they are competitive athletes who want to get on the court. If not at SU somewhere. Others have stayed because of academic reasons or they wanted to be at SU even knowing they weren't going to play. Not once to my knowledge has a departing player or family member or player spokesperson ever stated JB refused to renew a scholarship.

The point is; The rules are changing. More important what makes you think that JB ever failed to renew a scholarship. I went to school with JB and have followed SU basketball ever since. I am unaware of any player who was ever told that his scholarship wasn't going to be renewed. Now, JB has for his whole career had a meeting after the season with each player and in his blunt direct way expressed his expectations for that player for the upcoming year. A lot of years ago as I recall, JB was asked by the PS about the circumstances of a player who transferred. He was quoted as telling the player "you can stay but you won't play much." Players have transferred over the years because they are competitive athletes who want to get on the court. If not at SU somewhere. Others have stayed because of academic reasons or they wanted to be at SU even knowing they weren't going to play. Not once to my knowledge has a departing player or family member or player spokesperson ever stated JB refused to renew a scholarship.

Paul Harris had no idea that he wasn't coming back, and I'm still no sure where it states that they have to offer you a 4 year scholarship. Finally. JB has forced several players to leave over the course of his coaching career. It is done by either not renewing their scholarships or telling a player that they will not play if they stay.

Last edited:
Paul Harris had no idea that he wasn't coming back, and I'm still no sure where it states that they have to offer you a 4 year scholarship. Finally. JB has forced several players to leave over the course of his coaching career. It is done by either not renewing their scholarships or telling a player that they will not play if they stay.

Paul Harris was an eon ago.
This is a relatively recent change.

You keep doubling-down on your lack of knowledge on this subject.

Paul Harris had no idea that he wasn't coming back, and I'm still no sure where it states that they have to offer you a 4 year scholarship. Finally. JB has forced several players to transfer over the course of his coaching career.

I don't agree with you and certainly not about Paul Harris. It was a "He said, she said" situation. JB maintained that Harris told him he was going pro then left SU for his home during the academic year and didn't return phone calls for two weeks. This wasn't the first time Harris left SU without letting the coaches know. Hop had to take at least one trip (I think more) to Niagara Falls to coax Harris back. Harris was, as I recall, facing family issues at home. I do know of strong rumors years ago of a player being told to leave the program (his former high school coach said as much). It was purportedly related to serious behavioral issues that were affecting the team not, on court performance. I don't believe JB ever pulled a scholarship because of athletic performance. Behavior, yes.

Harris never told JB he was going pro. Also Hop wasn't the only one who had to go get Harris from Buffalo when he was supposed to be at school. But most importantly I have 1st hand knowledge about this subject.
I believe that you have first hand knowledge. I am curious though, what your thoughts are on the fact that Harris did go awol a number of times, and whether that does give cuse the right to ask him to move on? We were far better without him. I believe it certainly does merit being able to push someone out, if there are a distraction. I remember hearing that Deshaun Williams got kicked out of school, for punching a woman, failing classes etc. I think there are definitely cases where the school (JB) needs to remove problems. Negative attitude and entitlement are definite problems. Have no idea about KJ, but I have not heard anything bad about him, so who knows.

I believe that you have first hand knowledge. I am curious though, what your thoughts are on the fact that Harris did go awol a number of times, and whether that does give cuse the right to ask him to move on? We were far better without him. I believe it certainly does merit being able to push someone out, if there are a distraction. I remember hearing that Deshaun Williams got kicked out of school, for punching a woman, failing classes etc. I think there are definitely cases where the school (JB) needs to remove problems. Negative attitude and entitlement are definite problems. Have no idea about KJ, but I have not heard anything bad about him, so who knows.

There were a lot of kids that this happens to all across the country. Josh Wright as well and we could all name more. James Theus moves on because of? The Deshaun Williams situation and on and on. The whole point of my initial comment was that where does it say that a recruit "MUST" receive a full year scholarship by a university? No one still hasn't answered that yet. As I said previously a university can offer a recruit a 4 year scholarship but many don't and there is a reason for that. My other point was that kids leave schools either forcibly or on their own for a multiple of reasons and they most definitely can be forced out by their coach.

Last edited:
There were a lot of kids that this happens to all across the country. Josh Wright as well and we could all name more. James Theus moves on to make room. The Deshaun Williams situation and on and on. The whole point of my initial comment was that where does it say that a recruit "MUST" receive a full year scholarship by a university? No one still hasn't answered that yet. As I said previously a university can offer a recruit a 4 year scholarship but many don't and there is a reason for that. My other point was that kids leave schools either forcibly or on their own for a multiple of reasons and they most definitely can be forced out by their coach. Finally I will not elaborate about the KJ situation. I like him and he is a nice kid.
The only thing I am aware of, is that scholarships are one year investments, with the opportunity to renew yearly. A few schools have changed to 4 year guaranteed ships, but that is not universal. The rub is that it is a PR nightmare to pull a kids scholarship for performance alone. I would say 99% of kids who perform in the classroom and as citizens, have their ship renewed, if they choose too. Now, will coaches come and tell them to move on to find more playing time. I think most will and do that a lot.

There were a lot of kids that this happens to all across the country. Josh Wright as well and we could all name more. James Theus moves on because of? The Deshaun Williams situation and on and on. The whole point of my initial comment was that where does it say that a recruit "MUST" receive a full year scholarship by a university? No one still hasn't answered that yet. As I said previously a university can offer a recruit a 4 year scholarship but many don't and there is a reason for that. My other point was that kids leave schools either forcibly or on their own for a multiple of reasons and they most definitely can be forced out by their coach.

Will this work for you?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-attendance-multi-year-scholarships-approved/

Kaleb would still be the 4th guard next year and not get PT.
PG: Howard, Battle
2G: Richardson, Battle

I'd switch Battle and Howard. Unless Frank fixes that jump shot which I think will take more than one offseason. With Chukwu and Roberson starting we need as much offense as we could get from the other 3 starters and think Lydon, Malachi, and Battle would compliment them well.

I'd switch Battle and Howard. Unless Frank fixes that jump shot which I think will take more than one offseason. With Chukwu and Roberson starting we need as much offense as we could get from the other 3 starters and think Lydon, Malachi, and Battle would compliment them well.

Thanks, now if you believe that is going to stop coaches from forcing kids out then I don't know what else to say.

Thanks, now if you believe that is going to stop coaches from forcing kids out then I don't know what else to say.

I'm sure some coaches will still try to find a way. Whether JB is one of those, sounds like you have your opinion on that. My only reason for joining this thread was to say you were incorrect about there not being a 4 year scholarship guarantee.

I'm sure some coaches will still try to find a way. Whether JB is one of those, sounds like you have your opinion on that. My only reason for joining this thread was to say you were incorrect about there not being a 4 year scholarship guarantee.

Thanks for posting the website

Last edited:
3 biggest needs for 2017 looking like

Lead guard- Diallo

Wing- Jordan Tucker

Center- Bamba or Richards

I think I would be extremely happy if Cuse gets Diallo, Green, Tucker, DCR. Another big man to round out that class would be a huge win. Obviously Bamba and Richards are players you would love to see but they are hard to bring in nowadays.

You don't get that line of thinking at all? I'm not sure how. You say Syracuse will only have 2 true guards next season without him like JB plays 10 guys. Battle, Howard and even Richardson will play either guard spot before Kaleb. KJ will never really play any minutes again at SU, and that's being kind because there is a real high percentage that SU won't even renew his scholarship. Anybody with 2 eyes can see that. Have you been following this season at all? The coaching staff don't even speak or even look at him. They look at Joe, the guy in the stands selling programs more than they look at Kaleb. I feel bad for the kid. He should have transferred after last season and he still would have had somewhere else to play for 3 years instead of two.
Oh come on with this. Yes. Without Kaleb Syracuse will only have 2 true guards next year (unless they get a commit from someone else). Richardson will be in the NBA next year. And if he's not, he won't be playing point guard. What do you have against Kaleb?

Last edited:

My understanding was that Paul was told that Wes Johnson was going to start over him the following season. With Devo, I think it was a situation where he was in a situation with the university where if he had one more "situation" on campus, he would have been expelled, and JB wouldn't be able to count on him remaining eligible.

So, who do we think SU wants, or more importantly, might actually get for 2017?

PG - Want Duval, naturally, but it seems that most think that ship has now sailed? Green would be a very nice Plan B.
He's an actual PG, who can also score from anywhere. Been a while since we had onea those.
SG - Diallo. Anybody else we are (or should be) interested in?
SF - Want Porter (who doesn't?), Knox. But, knowing how these things seem to go for us, we get Tucker? Or other?
PF - Want Bamba (again, who doesn't?). FINALLY getting Diagne on campus would be a solid Plan B here.
C - Want Nick Richards (ditto). Actually get DCR? Kinda like Scoop and RickJack? I'd take that for sure.

Have we offered Lonnie Walker? Melo E?
Is there anybody else I've missed?

Fantasy 2017 recruits: Duval, Diallo, Porter, Bamba, Richards.
Hello, Final Four!! :D Send JAB out with another NC. :cool:

Realistic/actual 2017 recruits: Green, Diallo, Tucker, Diagne, DCR.

Bump.

Francis, et al - any updates on who now seem to be our most likely options?

PG - Quade our #1 priority for this class.
But Coleman or maybe Alvarado would be solid backup plans here.

SG - Hami is the top dog, but can we get him? I know he supposedly has really enjoyed his visits to SU.
Can we get Lonnie? Ethan Thompson as a legacy recruit?
Or do we likely end up w Alex O'Connor or other?

SF - seems like Tucker is our top realistic option here. Who else? Brown?
Do we offer Nworra? (sp?)

PF - Nick Richards? Brissett?
Other? Does Diagne ever make it here?

C - do we have any shot at Bomba? Or is Sidibe more likely?
Other?

Last edited:
Good bump. Doesn't Quade seem like the big domino? All the others fall into place if he commits.

Bump.

Francis, et al - any updates on who now seem to be our most likely options?

PG - Quade our #1 priority for this class.
But Coleman or maybe Alvarado would be solid backup plans here.

SG - Hami is the top dog, but can we get him? I know he supposedly has really enjoyed his visits to SU.
Can we get Lonnie? Ethan Thompson as a legacy recruit?
Or do we likely end up w Alex O'Connor or other?

SF - seems like Tucker is our top realistic option here. Who else? Brown?
Do we offer Nworra? (sp?)

PF - Nick Richards? Brissett?
Other? Does Diagne ever make it here?

C - do we have any shot at Bomba? Or is Sidibe more likely?
Other?
I'll have a better read on where things stand with our top targets after the live period wraps up this month on my next pod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom