With European draft stashing becoming more prevalent the NCAA should allow it as well | Syracusefan.com

With European draft stashing becoming more prevalent the NCAA should allow it as well

Alsacs

Living Legend
Jay Bilas was making this point if a kid gets drafted and wants to go back to college the NCAA and should allow it.

Teams are now drafting Europeans they can leave overseas for years to get around drafting college kids not ready to contribute.

If college basketball players didn't hire agents and just did what baseball players do and hire "advisors " it could skirt the whole agents problem.

This could help players come into the league more developed and ready to be able to play. All these kids drafted early very few are going to play at all and will be in the Dleague just to develop.

If Devonte Davis could go back to school get better and once he was ready go back to the pros when he could have a chance to stick in the league. Now he doesn't have a guarantee contract being picked in the 2nd round and if he gets cut he will be stuck going to OVERSEAS. Boston didn't draft a college kid because they couldn't afford the on their roster as they have a ton of young players. So they stashed 2 Europeans for 2 years so they could get around the first round restrictions.

Jay Bilas was making this point if a kid gets drafted and wants to go back to college the NCAA and should allow it.

Teams are now drafting Europeans they can leave overseas for years to get around drafting college kids not ready to contribute.

If college basketball players didn't hire agents and just did what baseball players do and hire "advisors " it could skirt the whole agents problem.

This could help players come into the league more developed and ready to be able to play. All these kids drafted early very few are going to play at all and will be in the Dleague just to develop.

If Devonte Davis could go back to school get better and once he was ready go back to the pros when he could have a chance to stick in the league. Now he doesn't have a guarantee contract being picked in the 2nd round and if he gets cut he will be stuck going to OVERSEAS. Boston didn't draft a college kid because they couldn't afford the on their roster as they have a ton of young players. So they stashed 2 Europeans for 2 years so they could get around the first round restrictions.

When I first read the title of the thread I read it as "European Trash..."

What I don't understand is why can't someone be allowed to return to school if they do not get drafted. Why ruin a kids life because he thought he could be drafted into the NBA. Who cares if he returns to school. How does hurt the status of student athlete? They haven't received any salary. What difference does it make.

When I first read the title of the thread I read it as "European Trash..."

What I don't understand is why can't someone be allowed to return to school if they do not get drafted. Why ruin a kids life because he thought he could be drafted into the NBA. Who cares if he returns to school. How does hurt the status of student athlete? They haven't received any salary. What difference does it make.
Right or wrong I think it has to do with scholarship limits. National signing day is before the draft and most kids sign on that day. So if a guy declares and then a coach fills his roster, who loses the scholarship when the guy wants to come back because he went undrafted? Maybe the solution to that is as simple as moving signing day to the week after the draft.

Right or wrong I think it has to do with scholarship limits. National signing day is before the draft and most kids sign on that day. So if a guy declares and then a coach fills his roster, who loses the scholarship when the guy wants to come back because he went undrafted? Maybe the solution to that is as simple as moving signing day to the week after the draft.

The idea of moving the signing day after the draft reminds me something Lewis Black would say in criticizing the ineptitude of government, "It's sooo hard."

The moral rectitude of the NCAA requires that they screw over the Devonte Davises of the world.

Yeah, I don't see why they don't treat it like baseball. Don't like where you're drafted? Go back to school. The NCAA has some dumb rules for basketball.

Previously said kids should be allowed to return. Wish somebody would challenge this in the courts. If the school gave away his spot on the squad, let him transfer and play immediately. How many schools use all their schollies a year anyways? Could be th enew in thing to do in place of grad students. Man, chould you see SU picking up some decent players for next year if this were the case.

Previously said kids should be allowed to return. Wish somebody would challenge this in the courts. If the school gave away his spot on the squad, let him transfer and play immediately. How many schools use all their schollies a year anyways? Could be th enew in thing to do in place of grad students. Man, chould you see SU picking up some decent players for next year if this were the case.
If a kid goes undrafted and doesn't sign with an agent they can remain eligible. The problem is these kids who stay in the draft sign with agents and they get advances and little amounts of money just to enjoy life a little.
Years ago Kentucky bigman Randolph Morris went into the draft and wasn't picked he was allowed back to Kentucky after proving to the NCAA he didn't sign with an agent.

It is hard to get kids not sign with agents who are vultures and few thousand dollars is a lot of money to these kids. The NCAA blows and doesn't give a crap about athletes. They should help these kids stay eligible but don't give a crap.

If a kid goes undrafted and doesn't sign with an agent they can remain eligible.

I'm pretty sure that rule got changed, and now you have to pull out of the draft by a set deadline to retain college eligibility.

I remember under the old rule some guys who dropped into the second round would beg teams not to draft them so they could go back to college.

They seem to moving in that direction - it's just taking awhile. Allowing everyone to declare and see where they stand is more than likely the first step to just allowing everyone to be "in" the draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom