With the hearing coming up tomorrow, what is the likelihood... | Syracusefan.com

With the hearing coming up tomorrow, what is the likelihood...

RF2044

Living Legend
...that any of these things come to be, in the aftermath:

• SU loses scholarships?
  • SU has to vacate wins?
  • SU receives a one-year postseason ban?
  • Jim Boeheim is suspended for X amount of games?
  • SU / Boeheim are forced to vacate wins?
  • SU receives probation?
  • SU contests any penalties that the NCAA attempts to hand down?
  • The unpleasant national coverage of this costs us Tyus Battle?
  • The unpleasant national coverage of this costs us Thomas Bryant?

• SU loses scholarships?
  • SU has to vacate wins?
  • SU receives probation?
The only 100% odds is this one. ^^^^^

How can anyone possible guess the penalty when they don't know the specifics of the accusations?
Agreed. We should be in much position position to speculate sometime on Friday afternoon. I assume the NCAA will formally release their accusations by that point, though I am not even sure of that.

I would think that the loss of scholarships, if it happens, would be the cause of a potential loss of Battle or Bryant, not media coverage.

• SU loses scholarships?
  • SU has to vacate wins?
  • SU receives probation?

It all depends on how pissed off the NCAA is at Kentucky and North Carolina.

• SU loses scholarships?
  • SU has to vacate wins?
  • SU receives probation?

Knowing Syracuse's history with the NCAA and issues like this I think a few items above are probably certain but its tough to tell how many. My best guess is as follows:

Syracuse will definitely be on probation one way or another.

This will definitely affect recruiting in a negative way, may not be much but at least one player we probably would have gotten will go elsewhere.

Some loss of scholarships ie maybe 1 a year for 2-3 years something like that.

I dont see vacated wins happening or a suspension for JB but I guess its possible. I would much rather have vacated wins versus a scholarship or post season ban.

Syracuse is likely to appeal any punishment unless its a slap on the wrist. If its some type of post season ban they will probably appeal immediately.

Biggest question is the post season ban, does the NCAA cobble together a few minor penalties ie probation, scholarship loss etc or do they go right for the jugular with a post season ban.

• SU loses scholarships?
  • SU has to vacate wins?
  • SU receives probation?

What's the likelihood Jim Boeheim goes nuclear on members of the media after this mess?

There is a strong likelihood that I will be pissed regardless of outcome. Pissed that the team I love did something so blatantly stupid, or pissed that I allowed the actions of a bunch of young men to affect my life in a negative manner. Pissed I spent too much time worrying about something I have no control whatsoever over. Pissed the NCAA treated us in a way that seems more harsh than what is meted out to other teams that I perceive to have done far worse.

Either way, the outlook is not good.

There is a strong likelihood that I will be pissed regardless of outcome. Pissed that the team I love did something so blatantly stupid, or pissed that I allowed the actions of a bunch of young men to affect my life in a negative manner. Pissed I spent too much time worrying about something I have no control whatsoever over. Pissed the NCAA treated us in a way that seems more harsh than what is meted out to other teams that I perceive to have done far worse.

Damn...good thing you are not the NCAA...that is a lot to be pissed at...there would be multiple D3 schools lookijng at the death penalty if you were!!

Damn...good thing you are not the NCAA...that is a lot to be pissed at...there would be multiple D3 schools lookijng at the death penalty if you were!!

Seriously though, isn't everyone tired of the drama associated with this team? Can't we have one frickin' season of no injuries, no academic issues, no threats of investigation? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

What's the ACC policy on post-season bans?

If we're ineligible for post-season play, do we have to miss that year's ACC Tourney as well?

What's the ACC policy on post-season bans?

If we're ineligible for post-season play, do we have to miss that year's ACC Tourney as well?

Yes. Conference tournaments are considered post-season.

Seriously though, isn't everyone tired of the drama associated with this team? Can't we have one frickin' season of no injuries, no academic issues, no threats of investigation? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

How long have you been fan?!? If over 5 years, then yes, this is one of those times when a question is dumb!!

Knowing Syracuse's history with the NCAA and issues like this I think a few items above are probably certain but its tough to tell how many. My best guess is as follows:

Syracuse will definitely be on probation one way or another.

This will definitely affect recruiting in a negative way, may not be much but at least one player we probably would have gotten will go elsewhere.

Some loss of scholarships ie maybe 1 a year for 2-3 years something like that.

I dont see vacated wins happening or a suspension for JB but I guess its possible. I would much rather have vacated wins versus a scholarship or post season ban.

Syracuse is likely to appeal any punishment unless its a slap on the wrist. If its some type of post season ban they will probably appeal immediately.

Biggest question is the post season ban, does the NCAA cobble together a few minor penalties ie probation, scholarship loss etc or do they go right for the jugular with a post season ban.
The ACC is at the hearing, and that in my opinion bodes well for Syracuse. After the fiasco with Miami, and lifting sanctions on Penn St, the enforcement group is on very shaky ground. They (ACC) aren't going to let their interests, and possible tournament money be cut, unless their was malicious intent to circumvent the rules. The big dog in the room is the ACC, and Swofford after Miami, and upcoming UNC moves, needs to show the league AD's he's in charge, and won't stand for anything from the NCAA.

With absolutely no knowledge of the situation, I would order them thusly...1 being most likely:

• 1 SU loses scholarships?
  • 3 SU has to vacate wins?
  • 2 SU receives a one-year postseason ban?
  • 9 Jim Boeheim is suspended for X amount of games?
  • 6 SU / Boeheim are forced to vacate wins?
  • 8 SU receives probation?
  • 7 SU contests any penalties that the NCAA attempts to hand down?
  • 4 The unpleasant national coverage of this costs us Tyus Battle?
  • 5 The unpleasant national coverage of this costs us Thomas Bryant
Just a wild-ass-guess right there.

assuming we know the general outlines of the complaints - academics involving Dirty and Fab and the alleged inconsistent handling of the drug policy - then I think the punishments will be relatively minor. The fact is that SU already self-punished over the academics, and the SU's drug policy was in fact a bit of a dog-and-pony show effort anyway that allowed the school to pardon anyone on a case by case basis.

If that is it - and that's a big if - then the penalties have to be minor. maybe a form of probation where the ncaa gets to oversee the drug & academic compliance for a period of years.

now, if it was more players than just Fab & Dirty, and if there was a pattern of cheating over an extended period of time with multiple athletes, then its big trouble and just about everything on your list is on the table.

assuming we know the general outlines of the complaints - academics involving Dirty and Fab and the alleged inconsistent handling of the drug policy - then I think the punishments will be relatively minor. The fact is that SU already self-punished over the academics, and the SU's drug policy was in fact a bit of a dog-and-pony show effort anyway that allowed the school to pardon anyone on a case by case basis.

If that is it - and that's a big if - then the penalties have to be minor. maybe a form of probation where the ncaa gets to oversee the drug & academic compliance for a period of years.

now, if it was more players than just Fab & Dirty, and if there was a pattern of cheating over an extended period of time with multiple athletes, then its big trouble and just about everything on your list is on the table.

How did SU self-punish over the academics? The suspensions of Fab and Southerland?

How did SU self-punish over the academics? The suspensions of Fab and Southerland?

Yes, as well as firing and restructuring. We also withheld a couple of schollies this year because we felt bad ;)

I think it will ultimately come down to how hard nosed the infractions committee truly is. If they are hardnosed enough we will come out nicely.

It's ridiculous that UK just skates by all of this BS. SU looks like an angel compared to them.

It's ridiculous that UK just skates by all of this BS. SU looks like an angel compared to them.

"Plausible deniability" is Calipari's MO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom