World series shut out | Syracusefan.com

World series shut out

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
First one since 2003.

The adulation for Bumgarner is warranted, but 'best ever' in post season is a little premature. Whitey Ford pitched 33 2/3 shut out innings in 3 successive shut outs in '60 and '61. Matthewson pitched 3 straight shut outs in one series. A little historical perspective, please.

All the same, what Bumgarner has done is really impressive. I was glad to see Bochy let him finish the game.

Last edited:
nothing like dominating a team that barely hits and wouldnt have made the WSeries until all the new rules were in place for wild cards.

How about back to back shutouts, one each way? Bet that hasn't happened often. It's been a roller coaster, to be sure. Interesting stat announced tonight, 8 of 10 teams that came home to win game 6 in a WS went on to win game 7. Here's hoping that trend continues. Go Royals!

Last edited:
nothing like dominating a team that barely hits and wouldnt have made the WSeries until all the new rules were in place for wild cards.

"Barely hits?" C'mon man, look again. Yes, they're 8-61 against Bumgarner (.131). However, they're 53-139 against the rest of the staff (.381), with three games in which they've had ten or more hits.

And nothing personal, but I like the wild cards. It helps keep the regular season interesting and makes the playoffs even more so. To wit, this year both SF and KC are wild card teams. :)

The away team hasn't won a Game 7 since 1979. I attended the first two games of that series in Baltimore. It snowed just before Game 1, but Bowie Kuhn was wearing a sweater and no coat during the game.

Okay, I stand corrected. That is one for the ages. 22 innings, 1 run which was a meaningless homer near the end of game 1. One of the very best showings by a pitcher in a single world series.

B1KjYfmIIAENBM3.jpg

I don't know which was the most boring: watching Bumgarner dominate, or listening to Buck and Reynolds gurgle and slobber ad nauseum.