Worst performance on the glass since... | Syracusefan.com

Worst performance on the glass since...

Yes it was quite unexpected that it would be that lopsided. 5 dead guys could have gotten more rebounds.

Virginia: 16 offensive rebounds
Syracuse: 20 total rebounds

That says it all.

Virginia: 16 offensive rebounds
Syracuse: 20 total rebounds

That says it all.

Seemed like our shooters all decided to go ahead and hoist up shots without any concern for whether or not an SU might or might not be anywhere near the paint just in case the shot was missed. I know Cooney doesn't expect to miss, but maybe just once in a while he could not shoot when we have 5 guys outside the paint.

Damone Brown and crew vs Kansas in the ncaas.
Saw it comin a mile away in Duke game. Duke beat us up on boards w a small lineup, Jefferson their 4 didnt play much, so Duke basically had a 5, 3 (winslow) and 3 guards and they had their way w us on the boards. Next year we really need Cole to put a body on someone and then we need McC to go get it above the rim

Part of it is performance, part zone, part bodies, part is the luck of the bounce. Maybe we needed the sugar plum fairy to give us an edge on the glass.

When the ball goes up we have no weak side boards. BJ just stands there and watches the ball clang off the rim. He's useless. He had another chance tonight and he again fell flat on his face.

Tyler was boxing himself out on a few of possessions. Had nothing to do with UVA physicality. Part of the problem is the "offense" we ran, i.e. give it to Rak and get the F out of the way. When Rak would roll to the basket, Tyler would go out of bounds watching him instead of sealing a defender. Part of the problem was also selling out on the o-boards to set up on d. Couple of times the big guys were heading back as a shot went up from outside.

Last edited:
When the ball goes up we have no weak side boards. BJ just stands there and watches the ball clang off the rim. He's useless. He had another chance tonight and he again fell flat on his face.
No one rebounded well tonite. G tied for lead in boards playing mostly the top of the zone

As I watched the shots on our offensive end go up, I rarely saw any SU player head to the boards. I was never a particularly good rebounder, but when a shot went up, I immediately got in position and boxed out. The game has changed; kids don't do that anymore. Tonight was perhaps the worst case of shot-watching I have seen all season.

The effort was a level lower tonight. Can't say I blame them; if this isn't fun for some of us, the end of this season must be miserable for the players.

stuckinbig11 said:
As I watched the shots on our offensive end go up, I rarely saw any SU player head to the boards. I was never a particularly good rebounder, but when a shot went up, I immediately got in position and boxed out. The game has changed; kids don't do that anymore. Tonight was perhaps the worst case of shot-watching I have seen all season.

Noticed that a lot lately, particularly tonight. Shot gives up, no one there to get a rebound.

#13 for UVa, Anthony Gill, seemed to be a vacuum cleaner on the boards and have an uncanny ability not only to rebound but get to 50-50 balls.

No one rebounded well tonite. G tied for lead in boards playing mostly the top of the zone
Hard to believe Roberson twice got 17 boards in a game this season. Dennis Rodman he is not. At least not yet. Last night was a big collective disappointment. Reminded me of the Georgetown debacle two seasons ago when we only scored 46. We are better than that.

Virginia is third in the country in total rebounding percentage

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2015-advanced-school-stats.html (sort by trb%)

When the zone goes up against a team whose bread and butter is rebounding, SU's length stops bailing them out

Virginia isn't that great offensive rebounding but they're spectacular defensive rebounding - it's pretty ridiculous that they got 53% of the rebounds on their offensive end

Virginia is third in the country in total rebounding percentage

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2015-advanced-school-stats.html (sort by trb%)

When the zone goes up against a team whose bread and butter is rebounding, SU's length stops bailing them out

Virginia isn't that great offensive rebounding but they're spectacular defensive rebounding - it's pretty ridiculous that they got 53% of the rebounds on their offensive end

I wonder if that's why we completely abandoned our attempts at getting offensive rebounds. I swear I can't remember a single possession where we had more than one guy in the paint going after an offensive board.

By the way, did anyone else think Roberson did not foul the guy on the first offensive foul he got (that would have resulted in an easy bucket for us) in the first half? That was an acting job for sure.

Hard to believe Roberson twice got 17 boards in a game this season. Dennis Rodman he is not. At least not yet. Last night was a big collective disappointment. Reminded me of the Georgetown debacle two seasons ago when we only scored 46. We are better than that.
Roberson is the best rebounder since DC though...(that was actually said here).

By the way, did anyone else think Roberson did not foul the guy on the first offensive foul he got (that would have resulted in an easy bucket for us) in the first half? That was an acting job for sure.

I didn't actually see the acting job, not sure what possessed the referee to make that call? Looked like a relatively clean box out to me. Maybe he was shocked that we actually put a body on someone.

I didn't actually see the acting job, not sure what possessed the referee to make that call? Looked like a relatively clean box out to me. Maybe he was shocked that we actually put a body on someone.

I watched it three or four times. To the point my son was getting mad at me.

Do you mean the offensive rebound? He got his elbow up high. I think the ref prolly responded to that.

Do you mean the offensive rebound? He got his elbow up high. I think the ref prolly responded to that.

That's the one. Still don't understand why it was a foul. His elbow hit the guy's chest I think. That's called getting position. I think you're right though. The ref reacted to the act.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom