Worst performance on the glass since... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst performance on the glass since...

I watched the game at a friend's house last night and when I drove home the UVa postgame was on the radio (my local sports talk channel, I live in northern VA). It was quite the eye-opener hearing the UVa players totally dis the zone. One of their players said something to the effect of "we watched a lot of video and knew we would get a ton of offensive rebounds by overloading the weakside" and "we knew we could get good shots if we worked deep into the shot clock because they have trouble playing it for 30 seconds". Another guy said "we weren't worried when we got down early because we knew we'd figure out the zone eventually and once we did, they don't have any other defense". They didn't seem to have any respect for our zone.

I watched the game at a friend's house last night and when I drove home the UVa postgame was on the radio (my local sports talk channel, I live in northern VA). It was quite the eye-opener hearing the UVa players totally dis the zone. One of their players said something to the effect of "we watched a lot of video and knew we would get a ton of offensive rebounds by overloading the weakside" and "we knew we could get good shots if we worked deep into the shot clock because they have trouble playing it for 30 seconds". Another guy said "we weren't worried when we got down early because we knew we'd figure out the zone eventually and once we did, they don't have any other defense". They didn't seem to have any respect for our zone.

Ouch. They are going to continue to be a problem for us. Part of the reason teams struggle with the zone is lack of confidence and confusion it creates. Granted we are pretty bad it this year especially up top. But if Bennett and his players have this mindset about it? Not good for us.

Wow. Is it the zone or the guys we have playing it?

Wow. Is it the zone or the guys we have playing it?

I am guessing the personnel this year playing it. Still, that is some confidence on their part. I like it frankly.

Virginia: 16 offensive rebounds
Syracuse: 20 total rebounds

That says it all.
Horrible... -22 on the glass. Atkins/Tobey/Gill ate our lunch. Rak wasn't himself. I'm sure it was emotional for him, surreal even. He's had a great run here so he gets a pass. But TR ... wow. Playing PF for 40 minutes and getting 6 boards ... unacceptable. He's good at the second level, but next to the rim ... he gets dominated. I've posted repeatedly on this problem and some refuse to get it. Yet again, we play a good team and it's painfully obvious that Tyler doesn't have the beef we need as the second big. G had as many rebounds playing guard.

Last edited:
When the ball goes up we have no weak side boards. BJ just stands there and watches the ball clang off the rim. He's useless. He had another chance tonight and he again fell flat on his face.
Almost all of our guys stand there and watch the ball instead of moving into rebounding position as the shot is taken. Very poor anticipation of the angles and where the ball is likely to come off the board. The only one with any rebounding "sense" is Roberson. And frankly it's been a trait of the program for a long time. It is enhanced by the fact that we usually give away 20 lbs. per player to the opposition because we tend to like thin wiry types with long wingspans as opposed to linebacker types with muscle.

Horrible... -22 on the glass. Atkins/Tobey/Gill ate our lunch. Rak wasn't himself. I'm sure it was emotional for him, surreal even. He's had a great run here so he gets a pass. But TR ... wow. Playing PF for 40 minutes and getting 6 boards ... unacceptable. I've posted repeatedly on this problem and some refuse to get it. Yet again, we play a good team and it's painfully obvious that Tyler doesn't have the beef we need as the second big. G had as many rebounds playing guard.

Our off-season strength and conditioning program will really be put to the test this off-season. We have numerous guys that need to live in the weight room. Guys like BJ, Kaleb and Chris need to add about 15-20 lbs each. Tyler could also benefit from some added bulk. BJ could gain 30 pounds and still be thin.

Our off-season strength and conditioning program will really be put to the test this off-season. We have numerous guys that need to live in the weight room. Guys like BJ, Kaleb and Chris need to add about 15-20 lbs each. Tyler could also benefit from some added bulk. BJ could gain 30 pounds and still be thin.

Mike G as well.

Very true, and I would add TR to the list. I hope S/C is a huge focus in the off-season, which starts this Sunday. Adding muscle takes time ... this is not my area, but i wouldn't think that BB players would be able to add bulk like the FB guys do because of the level of activity needed for the sport.

Either way .. here's an idea: We can just put the 6 foot 10 Power Forward we already have on the team back at the position ... and tell him he needs to hit the weights hard this summer because, without him, we're getting spanked on the glass!

Last edited:
We've gone the whole year with a skinny undersized forward on the back line of the zone. It reminded me of when we would have Josh Pace at forward, shots coming from the other side were a rebounding nightmare for us. Or when Rudy Gay just murdered us with weakside offensive rebounds.

Also, this is possibly the worst team in the JB era is responding quickly and instinctively to a loose ball. We never get loose balls. Our guards don't react to the ball well when its loose or there is a long rebound. Cooney has good anticipation in deflecting passes, but is slow to react to a loose ball. Joseph is bad at all facets of getting his hands on the ball on the defensive end. The only teams I can remember being close to as this bad at reacting to loose balls and long rebounds are the 2000-01 and 2001-02 teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom