Would an ACC leftover conference actually be good? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would an ACC leftover conference actually be good?

It may not make sense - but Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has openly talked about potentially adding UConn.

I have no idea where the UMass speculation came from though, I can’t see any way that could possibly work.
UMASS was offered by the MAC last year to come in with Western Kentucky, they turned that down, CUSA added Delaware and has UMASS as their no.1 target for team no.12 but UMASS doesn't want it. I don't think it's so far fetched to think if the Big12 wants to add UConn that UMASS would be a viable 2nd team as their campuses are only 60 miles apart which would be easy for 2 game olympic sport road trips.

So first off lets assume it has Cal, Stanford, SMU, Oregon State, and Washington State.

We won't play them in hoops. So West Coast schools play in the WCC and we would go back to the Big East for basketball. (And the ones that aren't good enough for the Big East play in the A10 or CUSA.)

Not sure what the money would be but we get Big East hoops contract + ACC Football only contract.

League looks something like:

Syracuse
Duke
BC
NC State
Wake
VT
SMU
Cal
Stanford
Washington State
Oregon St

Tulane/Boise/USF/San DIego State can be added for numbers.

This isn't an ideal scenario but its 100x better than being in the Big 12 right? Again I am not saying I want this just tell me why that conference w BE hoops (because Cal/Stanford/Oregon St/Wazzou aren't putting their hoops or non revenue programs in the same league with ours) isn't better than the Big 12. Those are way better programs and markets than having to fly to Lubbock or Ames for every sport.
The way I see it, SU is joined at the hip with these teams forever:

BC,
Pitt,
Louisville,
Wake,
GaTech.

Probably these schools as well
Duke,
Stanford,
Cal,
UConn,
USF.

Is it a "good" league? It's the best league SU will have an opportunity with, unless unless Fran Brown wins the national championship here in the next 5 years (no I'm not counting on that).

I think it's more likely than not that NC State and VaTech are not ever getting an offer from the Big2. And I really don't know where Clemson would be going outside of the ACC. Not really seeing a place for Miami outside of the ACC either. All of this group would be desired by the Big XII, but I don't see that as better than the ACC for them.

I can see the B1G going for UVa, UNC and FSU. The B1G would go for these schools rather than adding Stanford and Cal. The SEC would take UNC and UVa but do those schools want the SEC?

So if the ACC looses those 3 schools, yes, it will still be a good league, and strong enough to pick up some desirable Big XII schools (WV, UCF, Cincinnati).

UMASS was offered by the MAC last year to come in with Western Kentucky, they turned that down, CUSA added Delaware and has UMASS as their no.1 target for team no.12 but UMASS doesn't want it. I don't think it's so far fetched to think if the Big12 wants to add UConn that UMASS would be a viable 2nd team as their campuses are only 60 miles apart which would be easy for 2 game olympic sport road trips.

Why wouldn’t UConn be linked to WVU?

There’s a reason the conference commissioner openly talks about adding UConn and not UMass. Adding UConn is at least plausible - suggesting adding UMass would justifiably get him fired.

I think in some ways the Big East has rebranded into a great basketball conference again. For the Big East to get Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and add a team like Duke could lead to a big tv contract for the Big East down the line.
Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, BC, Duke and Wake join Big East basketball. ACC football only conference includes the six and Cal, Stanford, Washington St and Oregon St.

Why wouldn’t UConn be linked to WVU?

There’s a reason the conference commissioner openly talks about adding UConn and not UMass. Adding UConn is at least plausible - suggesting adding UMass would justifiably get him fired.
WVU is Cincy's travel partner. It's also a long way from Storr's to Morgantown.

I think we cannot overlook the academic angle here. I think USF, Tulane, Rice, UConn, Kansas, Baylor, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado are more likley to be replacements than Cincy, West Virginia, or UCF.

Why are you starting with this? Oregon State and Washington State aren’t joining the ACC, and the other schools ARE playing ACC hoops.

We’re not going back to the Big East. Ever. It’s not happening. If somehow I’m wrong and it did happen, it would be a disaster for Syracuse - joining the Big 12 would be ten thousand times better than ending up with basketball back in the Big East.

So I reject everything about your post - your assumptions, conclusion, and everything between. Just no.

But Oregon State and Washington State don't have a home right now. Sure, they could join the Mountain West, or whatever it's called now. But they aren't getting anywhere close to the money they are used to getting, if they do that.

Just like SU and BC and whoever going back to the Big East. What football conference are we going to play in? I think you don't build rivalries at all if your football and hoops play different teams.

I think we cannot overlook the academic angle here. I think USF, Tulane, Rice, UConn, Kansas, Baylor, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado are more likley to be replacements than Cincy, West Virginia, or UCF.
I just don’t see how a conference with that mix gets any traction. Those are all small
Market schools with very little national relevance. Would barely be an okay basketball conference. You’re talking maybe 5-10 million per school in that configuration. Zero chance it’s successful. Syracuse needs to turn it around now and pray that can squeeze into the big10

I unfortunately see a future where UNC and UVa bolt for the BIG and FSU and Clemson go to the SEC. This leaves the remaining ACC in tact and needing to add the likes of James Madison, Uconn and possibly but unlikely Umass. Not the best conference but better for SU in all sports with the Heels and Cavs out of our way in hoops and FSU and Clemson out for football.

But Oregon State and Washington State don't have a home right now. Sure, they could join the Mountain West, or whatever it's called now. But they aren't getting anywhere close to the money they are used to getting, if they do that.

Just like SU and BC and whoever going back to the Big East. What football conference are we going to play in? I think you don't build rivalries at all if your football and hoops play different teams.

Did Oregon State or Washington State join the ACC when Stanford and Cal did? Do you think there might be a reason the answer is “No”? And that the answer is definately NOT “because WSU and OSU wanted to be in limbo or potentially joining the Mountain West instead”?

The ACC didn’t want, doesn’t want, and won’t ever want those two schools. Any discussion of a potential future that starts with those in the ACC is DOA - it has no chance of happening.

Here's an article on college football television viewship by team. We are in the bottom 1/3 of the ACC in TV ratings, and you can compare us here to the ratings drawn by other "bottom third" teams with whom we will soon be competing for another round of survival on the lifeboat of TV / streaming money.

Here's an article on college football television viewship by team. We are in the bottom 1/3 of the ACC in TV ratings, and you can compare us here to the ratings drawn by other "bottom third" teams with whom we will soon be competing for another round of survival on the lifeboat of TV / streaming money.

These are the other football teams who we - even at this low point - outdraw on average in the Nielsen ratings:
  • NC State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Wake Forest
  • Baylor, Cincinnati, Houston, Central Florida
  • Rutgers, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue
  • Arizona State, Cal
  • We outdraw pretty much all of the G5 teams on TV
That's what I mean when I talk about how we have a brand in football, despite a generation of bad results. People still watch our games at about a Top 50 level, Imagine if we have a comeback under Fran. Our basketball fans take over opponents' arenas up and down the east coast. We can do that for football, too, if we can just start upgrading the talent and stringing together some bowl seasons.

I think we are in the bottom third because of how bad we’ve been the last 20 years. If we start winning under Fran Brown, then I think you’d see a big uptick. Cuse always had a big following in basketball. It was a brand back in the 80s and 90s. I really think we could see a resurgence under Fran Brown.

I’m not even worried; it would seem that the timing of conference realignment for SU will synchronize with the Fran resurgence. No way are we being left out.
Or. St. and Wazzu had ranked football teams and they got left out.

Last edited:
So first off lets assume it has Cal, Stanford, SMU, Oregon State, and Washington State.

We won't play them in hoops. So West Coast schools play in the WCC and we would go back to the Big East for basketball. (And the ones that aren't good enough for the Big East play in the A10 or CUSA.)

Not sure what the money would be but we get Big East hoops contract + ACC Football only contract.

League looks something like:

Syracuse
Duke
BC
NC State
Wake
VT
SMU
Cal
Stanford
Washington State
Oregon St

Tulane/Boise/USF/San DIego State can be added for numbers.

This isn't an ideal scenario but its 100x better than being in the Big 12 right? Again I am not saying I want this just tell me why that conference w BE hoops (because Cal/Stanford/Oregon St/Wazzou aren't putting their hoops or non revenue programs in the same league with ours) isn't better than the Big 12. Those are way better programs and markets than having to fly to Lubbock or Ames for every sport.
Starting to look like UCONN joining the American.

Make four pods of 5.

NORTHEAST:
Syracuse
Pitt
BC
WVU
Cincinnati

ATLANTIC:
NC State
Duke
VT
UCF