Would SU play non-NCAA post season tourny? | Syracusefan.com

Would SU play non-NCAA post season tourny?

SBU72

All Conference
If the main benefit of the those things is to get underclassmen more game time, would it make sense for SU to play if as many as 6 (or 7) of the 8 aren't returning?

Heres another ugly thought, has TT shown enough to warrant draft consideration? Could it mean that nobody from the 8 players could be back next year?

Yes and no in my opinion. It would be a bad look though I think for a HoF coach and school like Syracuse to act like they are above playing in some kind of postseason. We aren't LSU. They should be honored to play and extend the season after a showing of what we have seen this year.

Thompson has a long way to go still. 3 or 4 year player, IMO.

If the main benefit of the those things is to get underclassmen more game time, would it make sense for SU to play if as many as 6 (or 7) of the 8 aren't returning?

Heres another ugly thought, has TT shown enough to warrant draft consideration? Could it mean that nobody from the 8 players could be back next year?

No way TT gets draft consideration. His defense completely eliminates that option.

Although I am thinking of your last sentence, and a very small, dark part of me would really be intrigued by something like that happening. Imagine?!

Don't know if the Orange qualify for the NAIA tournament.
The NIT is the NCAA for losers and a couple of teams who feel they should have gotten in to the real thing.
The CIT & CBE: don't see how appearances there help the program.

That development argument is overrated. Better off training at home and working on weaknesses than playing a meaningless game. Would rather have TT get an extra month of off-season lifting than playing a couple extra games...

It's probably about the money. I think a school can make some in the NIT. I believe the others are losing propositions. The only reason for participating in them is if the school has little to no history in Div 1 or post-season play.

It could be a way to get 20 wins this year. Not the benchmark it used to be, but still a good number.

We won't turn it down if we get invited (NIT) but I wish we would.

Power 5 schools dont play in the CBI or CIT anymore. Havent for a couple of years. Certainly would not turn down an NIT bid.

This... and I think it's mostly due to money not as much experience. NIT early round games get slanted towards the bigger drawing home team so SU could make some extra dough as well as the finals being in MSG where they draw about as well as any team.

If you don't want to play in the NIT, qualify for the NCAAs. Teams that decline post-season invitations always look like arrogant combined with delusional. Like they think they are "too good" for it, despite their body of work suggesting otherwise. Not a good look.

We would play in the Nit, I am not even sure the Nit is possible at this stage.

SU has always played in the NIT in down years. As far as the CIT or CBE, I'd hope not.

It is a pretty amazing stat, but in JB's 41 years at the helm, we have only missed the Big Dance 6 times. Impressive. That does not include 1992-93 when we were banned or 2014-15 when we imposed a ban upon ourselves.

For all six of those misses, we received an invite to the NIT - which is in no way guaranteed. So, that means we have never experienced an end of season rejection, except as noted.

Would be pretty horrible if this team does not make the NCAA tournament and does not qualify for NIT bid. What a scar that would cast on the JB legacy.

Last edited:
Boeheim was asked about this back during the Wright-McCroskey years and said he wouldn't embarrass the school by turning down an NIT invitation. Words to that effect, anyway.

I personally love the NIT games. I wont say the tired "real fans" show up but it is certainly a different and more fun atmosphere in the dome. Still disgusted with that Umass loss in 2008. I think Cuse was up 20 or so points and lost in the second half. Second time they lost that year at home. Awful feeling.

sure . with battle at the point and chukwu in the middle. why not it's a free roll.

We would play in the Nit, I am not even sure the Nit is possible at this stage.
I hate to even ask this question, cause its not the goal or what we want, but what would it take to lock up an NIT bid ? Would 17 wins do it? I'm not sure if that would even be enough.

I hate to even ask this question, cause its not the goal or what we want, but what would it take to lock up an NIT bid ? Would 17 wins do it? I'm not sure if that would even be enough.

problem is that there are auto qualifiers with the NIT now so its much much harder to get a bid than in past years. In no way would 17 or 18 wins lock up a bid if all of the auto qualifier teams that win their regular season conference titles fall short of making it to the NCAA's.

I would say 18.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom