Would you take this deal? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would you take this deal?

Academic fraud, extra benefits for players and failure to impose schools drug policy are all on the table

If it was just 1 of these 3 I would say yes the penalty wouldn't be that bad but the NCAA is going after SU for all 3.

I'm an SU grad, season ticket holder and a JB supporter but after major violations in 1992 and the Bernie Fine mess how world is JB going to walk in there today and say I didn't know anything about this, I just coach basketball.

Is it possible to post 576 messages and still be a troll? This guy is apparently very dedicated to his craft.
Nothing new for this poster.

Academic fraud, extra benefits for players and failure to impose schools drug policy are all on the table

If it was just 1 of these 3 I would say yes the penalty wouldn't be that bad but the NCAA is going after SU for all 3.

I'm an SU grad, season ticket holder and a JB supporter but after major violations in 1992 and the Bernie Fine mess how world is JB going to walk in there today and say I didn't know anything about this, I just coach basketball.

Failure to impose a drug policy that wasn't required? That doesn't seem like something that could result in such a harsh punishment.

I don't know what infractions we're really being investigated for, since neither the NCAA nor SU has made this info public.

I don't know what questions Boeheim and Gross are going to be asked, nor what their answers will be.

And I doubt that anyone else knows either.

All will be revealed in due time.

If the NCAA gives SU the option of no penalty if they fire Gross and Boeheim would you take it?

There is a good chance SU will be losing 2-3 scholarships per year for the next 3-4 years
Maybe we could offer to tar and feather all the tutors who did school work for athletes. Would that satisfy them?

2-3zone said:
If the NCAA gives SU the option of no penalty if they fire Gross and Boeheim would you take it? There is a good chance SU will be losing 2-3 scholarships per year for the next 3-4 years

There is zero chance of this happening. 3 scholies annually over 4 years = a team of walk ons.

I expect 1-2 scholies total over the next 1-2 years.

There is zero chance of this happening. 3 scholies annually over 4 years = a team of walk ons.

First, I think the OP is full of it.

But am I missing something 2-3 scholarships for 3-4 years hypothetically, would mean 10-11 scholarship players (depending)

How would that translate to a team of walk ons ?

If the NCAA gives SU the option of no penalty if they fire Gross and Boeheim would you take it?

There is a good chance SU will be losing 2-3 scholarships per year for the next 3-4 years

You imply that you have a solid source for your assertion in the second statement with the manner in which you constructed your statement.

However, it seems you are trying to map previous precedent, in actuality, rather than relying on a source.

I request that you edit this so it is clear your take is based solely on your interpretation of previous rulings and not one based off an inside source.

As to your question, there is no way we face that ridiculous choice unless the NCAA has us dead to rights on an infraction much more serious than any discussed so far.

But am I missing something 2-3 scholarships for 3-4 years hypothetically, would mean 10-11 scholarship players (depending)

I think he's stating that the equivalent of lost scholarship player time (4 years x 3 scholarships per year = 12 scholarship years) is a year of walk ons (12 players).

Theoretically if we lost 3 scholarships it would impact recruiting because we couldn't go after 1 and done talent because you need 3-4 year guys(Fair/Rautins/Jardine/Jackson type guys) to make that work according to JB's philosophy.

Thus, we could be down to 7-8 guys if we recruited Ennis/MCW/Waiters type players and were down 3 scholarships.

We likely lose 2 scholarship MAX per any season. I think we lose 1-2 scholarships for 2-3 years(including this year we only have 10 guys right now without walkons)

I hear that. Boeheim has always been a laissez-faire coach as one poster put well (maybe RF). My guess is I don't think he's much aware of what goes on around him or chooses simply not to get involved with 'policing' the team or playing Papa to players as other coaches and programs do. At this point in his career it seems like he is more of a Bobby Bowden type persona. Not necessarily a bad thing not to get so involved in what the players are doing off the court but when this is the style of running a program you commandeer; the likelihood of poking around by the NCAA will happen more vigorously I would think.

Still, I don't think a decision will be made very soon and how the hell is this even close to what has happened at UNC as of late? Think about what Rashad McCants has made public regarding academics there. The conduct of that PJ Hairston. Maybe they get SU on some minor extra benefits stuff but I really think that will be it. It doesn't even make sense to get into the academics with Melo/Southerland.

If UNC isn't banned from post season tournaments for 4 years, I wouldn't accept anything but well wishes from the NCAA.

"1 or 2 scholarships" is kind of ethereal and doesn't have any concrete meaning to most of us, so put this in your reality pipe and smoke it: it would likely mean we don't get Thomas Bryant, who could be a transformative talent

There's very little I wouldn't accept if it meant Gross be gone. You gotta wonder if a little USC mentality didn't migrate with him.

No way the last 10 years of BB, FB, and LAX have been better than the previous 10.

"1 or 2 scholarships" is kind of ethereal and doesn't have any concrete meaning to most of us, so put this in your reality pipe and smoke it: it would likely mean we don't get Thomas Bryant, who could be a transformative talent
Unless they can take them all this year.

I'm sure most people think it's a cop-out but I actually thought Roy Williams made a good point about his ability to police these things. He basically said he can't start asking around about course requirements and assignments because the faculty would go crazy. And it's true - if the coach starts sniffing around asking what his players are expected to do in their courses, it looks like he's pressuring the faculty for special treatment. if it turned out to be a legit course, would anybody believe he was asking because he was afraid it wasn't hard enough?

Same goes for Boeheim - I don't know whether he takes a "see no evil" approach, but coaches really are limited in how they can interact with the academic side of the house. if someone brings them information they should act on it, but i don't think we can assume people would be okay with them investigating coursework, tutoring, etc. i think these situations have more to do with the strange and uneasy relationship between big-time sports and higher education (which most of us try to ignore because we love college sports) than they do with specific coaches or schools.

Well the SEC members on the violations committee just protected their own by letting Georgia get Gurley back for the Auburn game. I wonder how they balanced $8000. worth of autographs for Georgia's punishment? I guess they forgot about all the criminals Georgia had to let go just this year from the team.
Syracuse is looking better all the time.
Protect their own? You must not live in the South. Here in GA they are up in arms about the NCAA having it in for UGA after Gurley got 4 games for the same offense Manziel missed the 1st of half of a game against Rice.

Unless they can take them all this year.
I think that, if there are any serious sanctions that could impact the talent level of the team while he is here, he will go elsewhere. that's what I would advise if he was my son - gotta look out for his future even if it means hurting my favorite team.

Protect their own? You must not live in the South. Here in GA they are up in arms about the NCAA having it in for UGA after Gurley got 4 games for the same offense Manziel missed the 1st of half of a game against Rice.
My point was they could have easily come down harder if they wanted to pull in some of the other stuff the Dawgs have been doing. On Gurley alone, he could have easily been put down for the season the way the NCAA works.

Another one of these? :)
"Fresh fish, fresh fish. We're reeling em in!"
CR043_KoldCast_Image_02.jpg

tee's useless fact of the day: This is Alfonso, Morgan Freeman's son.
Greatest movie ever made. That is actually Morgan Freeman's son for those who didn't know.

If UNC isn't banned from post season tournaments for 4 years, I wouldn't accept anything but well wishes from the NCAA.
Couldn't agree more. Complete institutional failure on UNC's behalf, and we probably just let players have cream cheese instead of the ncaa allotted government butter for their bagels.

F no, I wouldn't take that deal!

Certainly not in today's culture of the NCAA enforcement being questioned on all fronts, and the NCAA's comparative weakness relative to their power over the P5.

It would be insanity to accept those type of penalties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom