Wow. McKenney out at JD | Syracusefan.com

Wow. McKenney out at JD

Hope he brings his coaching talent back to Vermont. South Burlington needs him to build a dynasty to compete with Rice Memorial.

Some coaches make the mistake that being successful in the winning category ( 5 state championships) makes it impossible for a school district to remove them from their coaching position regardless of what they do and they are accountable to no one.

without knowing the story the comments seem pretty split over the kid was right or the coach was right..

heard he suspended that kid or another kid, for calling another kid on JV the N word. Mckenney didn't tell anyone why at time and parents went ballistic

Jamesville-DeWitt superintendent says issue with McKenney unrelated to team or one individual (PS: Webb)

The Jamesville-DeWitt school district issued a new statement at 11:42 a.m. today regarding the future of high school boys varsity basketball coach Bob McKenney, who sources say is facing an ultimatum to resign or be fired.

The statement from Jamesville-DeWitt superintendent Dr. Alice Kendrick says: "With the completion of the varsity boys' basketball season, the program is under review. Any issues concerning the leadership of the program are unrelated to any circumstances surrounding the final sectional championship game, any individual player, or the team as a whole. No decisions have been finalized concerning the future of the program."

"Did Jim Boeheim influence the ouster of Coach McKenney? My column:"

Unbelievably, I am hearing the Preston Shumpert is 1 of the influences. (I swear I am not making this up)

It is also unbelievable that 1 or 2 parents can bring him down considering literally all JD alums (bball players and non bball players) are 100% backing McKenney.

And it has little to do with the suspension of the player.

heard he suspended that kid or another kid, for calling another kid on JV the N word. Mckenney didn't tell anyone why at time and parents went ballistic

Mckenney wasnt going to suspend him for the entire game. That came from above.

Unbelievably, I am hearing the Preston Shumpert is 1 of the influences. (I swear I am not making this up)

It is also unbelievable that 1 or 2 parents can bring him down considering literally all JD alums (bball players and non bball players) are 100% backing McKenney.

Not sure, but I was under the impression Shump's kid is at CBA. And he's only in 7th grade.

Noexcuse said:
Not sure, but I was under the impression Shump's kid is at CBA. And he's only in 7th grade.

Not sure of Shumps involvement with anything JD but he's involved with the local basketball scene as he trains kids (as does Ryan Blackwell now) as part of Bellucci's Basketball Academy here in Syracuse. I see him around often.

Some coaches make the mistake that being successful in the winning category ( 5 state championships) makes it impossible for a school district to remove them from their coaching position regardless of what they do and they are accountable to no one.
Your insinuation that Bob thinks he is above reproach couldn't be farther from the truth.

My son played for Bob. He helped teach him that nothing comes for free and without hard work. I have had the sad pleasure of reading a lot of posts to Bob from former players and parents of players. A few of each had problems with playing time or their son's playing time and some with suspensions. Yet to a person they all talk now about how they learned from Bob about hard work and family and life issues. Not one talked about how he taught them, this, that or another thing about basketball. Sounds like not only a great basketball coach but a caring and giving person, which I know to be very true. This type of assistance did not stop just because these kids graduated from JD either. Your insinuating something different is quite disturbing to me given all I saw for so many years while my children went through JD and well after that. I would be proud to be considered a friend of Bob or anyone that displayed these qualities.

Your insinuation that Bob thinks he is above reproach couldn't be farther from the truth.

My son played for Bob. He helped teach him that nothing comes for free and without hard work. I have had the sad pleasure of reading a lot of posts to Bob from former players and parents of players. A few of each had problems with playing time or their son's playing time and some with suspensions. Yet to a person they all talk now about how they learned from Bob about hard work and family and life issues. Not one talked about how he taught them, this, that or another thing about basketball. Sounds like not only a great basketball coach but a caring and giving person, which I know to be very true. This type of assistance did not stop just because these kids graduated from JD either. Your insinuating something different is quite disturbing to me given all I saw for so many years while my children went through JD and well after that. I would be proud to be considered a friend of Bob or anyone that displayed these qualities.

I, like SarasotaPaul have seen literally dozens of posts of support from players who in their posts said they barely played to Brandon Triche and Dejaun Coleman. From non-basketball athletes to non athletes.

I moved out of JD as an 8th grader - yet Bob has affected my life on numerous occasions. He tried to do everything he could to help my best friend through some very dark stages of his life - even made him an assistant coach. Unfortunately my friend didnt survive - and Bob gave 1 of the best eulogies I've ever heard.

How Bob could even be considered fired for this is beyond me.

Not sure of Shunpert's involvement either - his son is in 7th grade as CBA. Tough to know what really happened unless you were there, apparently a series of events throughout the year that were magnified with Sunday's sectional championship suspension. Everyone I know that played for him within the last 10-15 years (about 25 players) have nothing but praise for McKenney.

I have heard he is being pushed to be the head coach by some prominent parents.

I have heard he is being pushed to be the head coach by some prominent parents.
At the end of the day a coach is limited by the talent he has. Yes I know sometimes coaches do more with less, but HS basketball really isn't different. Those JD teams from 2003-2012 were absolutely stacked. Having one D1 player on a HS basketball team is huge - those JD teams had multiple. Rautins, Triche, Pascale, Hymes, Coleman, Cavanaugh, and multiple D3 players (who were very, very good HS players) each year. This isn't to take away from Coach McKenney but rather to ask, what do these parents expect? What does bringing in a new coach do? CBA had its best teams when Paulus was there, Henninger had its best teams with several D1 players like Dave Simmons and Cornelius Vines there, not to mention future NBAer Andray Blatche. I understand the disappointment growing up watching these teams win back to back to back titles then your son comes of age and loses in sectionals three years in a row, but something tells me its more to do with the talent and not the head coach. This is public school, after all - coaches don't pick who lives in their district lines.

Parents-only meeting precedes Jamesville-DeWitt ultimatum to Bob McKenney (PS: Webb)

On the eve of what may well have been Bob McKenney's final game as head coach of the Jamesville-DeWitt High School boys basketball team, there was a strategy session.

Only this one was attended by some parents of the Jamesville-DeWitt basketball team upset over how their coach had handled a discipline matter with a senior player.

The Red Rams lost the Section III Class AA game to Christian Brothers Academy.

Two days later, the J-D administration gave McKenney an ultimatum: resign or be fired.

How did it get to this so fast?

- coaches don't pick who lives in their district lines.

TimGreen.jpg

Parents-only meeting precedes Jamesville-DeWitt ultimatum to Bob McKenney (PS: Webb)

On the eve of what may well have been Bob McKenney's final game as head coach of the Jamesville-DeWitt High School boys basketball team, there was a strategy session.

Only this one was attended by some parents of the Jamesville-DeWitt basketball team upset over how their coach had handled a discipline matter with a senior player.

The Red Rams lost the Section III Class AA game to Christian Brothers Academy.

Two days later, the J-D administration gave McKenney an ultimatum: resign or be fired.

How did it get to this so fast?
Public education in 2015. Parents of the inmates run the asylum. It's despicable. In a perfect world, the AD WANTED to tell the parents to off, but you can't do that these days.

"My son is the next Brandon Triche, I demand answers!"

"Actually ma'am, your son blows and coach's 5 titles and 500 wins trump your infantile whining"

Matt McClusky said it best today: "Coaching scholastic sports is damn near impossible in this culture."

The whole thing stinks and I'm embarassed for my Alma mater

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom