Class of 2016 - WR/DE Albert Okwuegbunam (IL) Verbal to Mizzou | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR/DE Albert Okwuegbunam (IL) Verbal to Mizzou

CuseLegacy

CAqZq6NU8AAQJKq.jpg:large

I now hate Michigan almost half as much as PSU

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20141108/Sports/141109519

SHG blanks Marion to reach Class 5A football quarterfinals

The State Journal-Register
By Ryan Mahan
Staff Writer
Posted Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Updated Nov 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM

By Ryan Mahan
Staff Writer

Posted Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Updated Nov 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Albert Okwuegbunam had a game bigger than his name. Okwuegbunam made key plays on both sides of the ball and Sacred Heart-Griffin High School easily dispatched yet another opponent, getting its 11th running clock of the season by beating Marion 42-0 Saturday in a Class 5A second-round game. SHG (11-0) will take to the road for the first time this postseason, visiting former Central State Eight Conference opponent Taylorville (10-1) in the quarterfinals.He wasn’t in on every single play, but Okwuegbunam was in more than his fair share.First, the player referred to simply as Albert O caught a 54-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Gabe Green to give SHG a two-score lead. On the opening play of Marion’s next drive, Okwuegbunam sacked the fourth-seeded Wildcats’ quarterback Izak Baker for a six-yard loss. Marion’s drive eventually ended on a turnover on downs, giving the Cyclones the ball at the SHG 34. Six plays were all that was needed, capped by a 5-yard pass from Green to Okwuegbunam, who was entirely alone out wide in the end zone. Not a single Marion player had attempted to cover Okwuegbunam on the play. “As I was doing good, it just kept (snowballing),” Okwuegbunam said.With his team leading 21-0, Okwuegbunam make another outstanding play from his defensive end position, once again stopping Baker for a loss. “It just goes back to the film room, studying their defense,” Okwuegbunam said. “I read him, he down-blocked, the guy was pulling so I knew the quarterback was going to come right to me.”Two plays after helping No. 1 SHG get the ball back, Okwuegbunam caught his third TD pass of the game, this one for 43 yards. Okwuegbunam finished with four catches for 127 yards and three TDs.