Class of 2015 - WR/TE Najee Clayton (NJ) Verbal to Rutgers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 WR/TE Najee Clayton (NJ) Verbal to Rutgers

I don't think we are too happy with this move. Acosta isn't one to back down, but we're getting jobbed here. The kid visited Rutgers at least a handful of times, and had minimal interest, now all a sudden his HC goes there and he's all about it? Hopefully the HC has some class (which I doubt), and let's the kid make his own decision.

On another note I do like the move by Rutgers. Maybe not hire the Paramus HC, who isn't well liked, but I think it's a great idea hiring a big time HS HC like this. I really wish we'd go this route. And for Rutgers to get him as a Recruiting Director is an absolute steal. These moves work. Look at the kids WVU were able to pull by hiring the Miramar HC. An interesting note about this is one of our coaches with NJ ties may have been offered this same job first, but turned it down.

I don't think we are too happy with this move. Acosta isn't one to back down, but we're getting jobbed here. The kid visited Rutgers at least a handful of times, and had minimal interest, now all a sudden his HC goes there and he's all about it? Hopefully the HC has some class (which I doubt), and let's the kid make his own decision.

On another note I do like the move by Rutgers. Maybe not hire the Paramus HC, who isn't well liked, but I think it's a great idea hiring a big time HS HC like this. I really wish we'd go this route. And for Rutgers to get him as a Recruiting Director is an absolute steal. These moves work. Look at the kids WVU were able to pull by hiring the Miramar HC. An interesting note about this is one of our coaches with NJ ties may have been offered this same job first, but turned it down.
One of our coaches got offered the Rutgers recruiting job? Can't see that position being paid more than a coaching role.

Rocco would be the Florida version of the RU hire. I wish that damn UF receivers coach slot would get filled by a non-Rocco but I think that is where he goes. Really interesting note about our coach saying no to the RU gig first. Thank goodness.!

One of our coaches got offered the Rutgers recruiting job or WVU coaching position?

Pretty sure Acosta was offered the Rutgers (and Penn St job, which would be a huge step down

Rocco would be the Florida version of the RU hire. I wish that damn UF receivers coach slot would get filled by a non-Rocco but I think that is where he goes. Really interesting note about our coach saying no to the RU gig first. Thank goodness.!

I really hope we explore that HS HC route. If we could get them on the support staff even better. Just look at the talent WVU got from the Miramar hire.

I really hope we explore that HS HC route. If we could get them on the support staff even better. Just look at the talent WVU got from the Miramar hire.

No doubt. College football and basketball coaches have been making those HS hires for quite some time and it can be a fantastic recruiting tool

Partridge (HC of Paramus Catholic) has zero class. This is the main reason he is so disliked by the rest of the elite Parochial schools and coaches. He is notorious for stealing kids from other programs without their consent. He has also gone so far as refusing to call Bergen Catholic by their name, and instead calling them "That school from Oradell that we always beat."

I am sure he is pushing Clayton very hard to go to RU.

Najee Clayton ‏@Jee_Sosa9 3m3 minutes ago
Why pick a school you won't play at till junior or senior year ? That's beyond me...

interesting tweet. he's clearly looking at early PT. we have what 2 returning safeties and none with any playing time?

Just based on tweets it looks to me like he'll likely commit to RU this weekend...

interesting tweet. he's clearly looking at early PT. we have what 2 returning safeties and none with any playing time?
Interesting indeed. Rutgers has alot of youth in their secondary. Alot of youth. Their two starting safeties this year will most likely be a RJR and a JR with the lineup behind them exclusively SO and RFR. The CB situation is much of the same with the oldest players in consideration being JR's with a healthy number of SO's behind them.

Also, they've currently got 4 DB commits.

I haven't followed him or any of these guys on Twitter really, so I don't know what he's been saying. But, that statement doesn't strike me as an endorsement for Rutgers. Unless, of course, they're telling him he'll start out of the gate and Syracuse hasn't told him the same.

Unless, of course, they're telling him he'll start out of the gate and Syracuse hasn't told him the same.

he's had two buttgers tweets. one a few days ago simply said "chopnation" and then he just retweeted the Ford committment to them. im sure though that flood giving him the golf cart treatment is telling him he'll start. think the paramus coach has to sit in back?

Rutgers pulled Partridge's (Clayton's coach) offer

@StevePoliti
FWIW, I've heard Partridge was pushing for a position coach job, not a recruiting position, and Rutgers (justifiably) said no thanks.

The person, who requested anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the negotiation, said Rutgers had major concerns with how Partridge was handling the process after news broke Sunday that he was joining the Scarlet Knights' staff.

--------
Strange turn of events. I wonder if he initially agreed to one thing and then tried to politic (through nj.com) his way into a better job.

also, this
---
The person said of equal concern was the negative effect Partridge's hiring might've had on Rutgers' ability to recruit from other top New Jersey high school programs.
---

I do worry about that with Rocco. Have to assume Rutgers got bad feedback.

(i might be crazy but what happened to the quote formatting? Not seeing it.)

Last edited:
Just a wild guess - Rutgers' AD did something stupid.

@StevePoliti
FWIW, I've heard Partridge was pushing for a position coach job, not a recruiting position, and Rutgers (justifiably) said no thanks.

The person, who requested anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the negotiation, said Rutgers had major concerns with how Partridge was handling the process after news broke Sunday that he was joining the Scarlet Knights' staff.

--------
Strange turn of events. I wonder if he initially agreed to one thing and then tried to politic (through nj.com) his way into a better job.

also, this
---
The person said of equal concern was the negative effect Partridge's hiring might've had on Rutgers' ability to recruit from other top New Jersey high school programs.
---

@StevePoliti

--------

also, this
---
---

Maybe they got confused and thought he was a recruit and pulled his offer? Or maybe if he takes a job elsewhere they are lining up their "he never had a committable offer" excuse.

Maybe they got confused and thought he was a recruit and pulled his offer? Or maybe if he takes a job elsewhere they are lining up their "he never had a committable offer" excuse.

Toad Hunt is the new head coach of RU??

Najee Clayton ‏@Jee_Sosa9 23s23 seconds ago
Lol I'll be making my college decision tomorrow so y'all tune in
1f4af.png
1f3c8.png
1f4da.png

Considering he just visited Rutgers this weekend...that's not promising.

Considering he just visited Rutgers this weekend...that's not promising.

ya those Monday decisions after an official visit are never good for the schools who didn't get the visit. Unfortunately we have 2 of them tomorrow.

you never know he could have seen how much a dump Rutgers is with all the dumpster fires