wrong week to say it but this team is not bad at all | Syracusefan.com

wrong week to say it but this team is not bad at all

Millhouse

Living Legend
14th best SRS since 1980 (37 seasons)

better than a lot of bowl teams (85,89,99, 2013, 2010, 2004)

it's one spot below 2012 pinstripe and 2 spots below 97 fiesta

this schedule is hard. only 2001 was harder since 1984.

I'm glad you looked the stats up for non believers. Honestly the stats are not needed if you look at the product. The end all be all is wins and losses, I get it. The team has played some tough away games and we have been in it. That alone is different than years past. We layed an egg last weekend and it stings but it is very easy to see what Dino is putting together. Im very excited for what we are doing and hope we can finish strong!

I'm glad you looked the stats up for non believers. Honestly the stats are not needed if you look at the product. The end all be all is wins and losses, I get it. The team has played some tough away games and we have been in it. That alone is different than years past. We layed an egg last weekend and it stings but it is very easy to see what Dino is putting together. Im very excited for what we are doing and hope we can finish strong!
it's hard to know how good opposing teams are without going to the numbers. a lot of it rides on how good you think FSU, NC St and wake actually are - hard to judge that

For those people like myself who had to go google what SRS is (No, not the sex change surgery).

SRS
Simple Rating System; a rating that takes into account average point differential and strength of schedule. The rating is denominated in points above/below average, where zero is average, although it should be noted that margin of victory has been assigned a lower bound of 7 points and an upper bound of 24 points. Non-major opponents are included as a single team in the ratings. My colleague Doug Drinen of Pro-Football-Reference.com has written a great explanation of this method.

it's hard to know how good opposing teams are without going to the numbers. a lot of it rides on how good you think FSU, NC St and wake actually are - hard to judge that

But easier to judge is Clemson, LSU, Miami

Asked at half time of the Wake game, the Dome fans would have agreed. Good wins vs Pitt and Clemson, competitive on the road against LSU, Miami, and FSU.

MTSU and 2H Wake are head scratchers, but otherwise the team has exceeded expectations.

I don't know Millhouse, that sounds more like a Shelbyville idea.

Not only has this schedule been hard but it also takes quite the toll of the health of the players as well. When you're almost always playing bigger and faster players while playing your heart out, we see what happen on Saturday. Thanks for the stat and you can see a lot of improvement with the ole eyeball test but some good #'s always help.

As of this week, based on statistical analysis as well as many different ranking sites, I would submit that we are around the 9th/10th best team in the ACC and the 50th-60th best team in the nation. Of course, if we win out at Louisville and beat BC there would be an uptick in those ratings and could possibly finish as a top half conference team and a Top 40 team nationally. Those things are still on the table as strange as it all sounds after that beating on Saturday.

It's also the wrong week to look at that thread of next year's two deep and be excited about the DL. But yeah, that's going to be a really deep, big, experienced, DL. Since we're not allowed to have nice things, I'll just assume Slayton is going to leave for the NFL.

The defense will continue to be better. System shmystem. Look at the freshmen, look at those coming in next year, look at their height, look at what schools wanted them. We'll be bigger and better, just on personnel. Don't have to be great, just be good enough to get some stops. Whatever assignment issues are hurting us against a good RPO (please don't just say it's Tampa-2), need to get worked out. They don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better.

Offense, with familiarity, depth and better talent at QB, a stockpile of WRs, an OL that gets stronger and better, will turn yards into more points. If Dungey was healthy Saturday, we could have scored 60 easily.

Last edited:
It's also the wrong week to look at that thread of next year's two deep and be excited about the DL. But yeah, that's going to be a really deep, big, experienced, DL. Since we're not allowed to have nice things, I'll just assume Slayton is going to leave for the NFL.

The defense will continue to be better. System schmystem. Look at the freshmen, look at those coming in next year, look at their height, look at what schools wanted them. We'll be bigger and better, just on personnel. Don't have to be great, just be good enough to get some stops. Whatever assignment issues are hurting us against a good RPO (please don't just say it's Tampa-2), need to get worked out. They don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better.

Offense, with familiarity, depth and better talent at QB, a stockpile of WRs, an OL that gets stronger and better, will turn yards into more points. If Dungey was healthy Saturday, we could have scored 60 easily.

Another buried bit of good news is that the Wake D is pretty good. Dropping that many points in the half with your backup is pretty good.

Another buried bit of good news is that the Wake D is pretty good. Dropping that many points in the half with your backup is pretty good.
wake is 17th in offense, 41st in defense

20th overall

i'm impressed with their offensive coordinator and with clawson. it looks like these guys have seen the light and adapted compared to what they used to be

of all the years for BC to be good, like for real good... their schedule is nastier than our's, hardest one they've ever had by a lot

I actually don't think their D is very good, at least not the past few weeks. ND and Louisville shredded them.

But regardless, getting all those yards and points with the backup QB is a good sign. He just hit a wall. We left so many plays on the field on Saturday in the 2nd half.

of all the years for BC to be good, like for real good... their schedule is nastier than our's, hardest one they've ever had by a lot

Watch BC blow it at UConn on Saturday with Brown out. Come into the Dome with 5 wins. At least we'll have something to play for, assuming this weekend goes as Vegas thinks for us.

I actually don't think their D is very good, at least not the past few weeks. ND and Louisville shredded them.

But regardless, getting all those yards and points with the backup QB is a good sign. He just hit a wall. We left so many plays on the field on Saturday in the 2nd half.

I hear you - I guess it depends on the definition we're using for good. I tend to use it for top 50 or so... probably should pinpoint it a bit more.

It's the old moral victory argument. i personally think there is a time and place for a moral victory or two and while last week sucked, most of this season has either been moral victory or actual victory, IMO. Love all the numbers and metrics we have at our disposal but I think the fact that this team hasn't looked out of place on the field against most teams. Last week was the worst they looked (along with middle Tennessee) but ultimately it feels more like a bad game than a 'these guys dont' belong' type thing.

... Last week was the worst they looked (along with middle Tennessee) but ultimately it feels more like a bad game than a 'these guys dont' belong' type thing.

I agree with your post. Last week, first half, with Mahoney, was the best the offense has looked. Mahoney put up 35 points, moving the team consistently, finishing drives. The offense has struggled in first halves in other games.

In 2H, our D got worn out, by Wake's balance of running and passing. Our offense depended too much on sideline passes to Ishmael, and we couldn't run the ball (Dungey's absence hurt).

Babers has work to do to round out the team, but fans should see the positives as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom