WVU/BE Settlement | Syracusefan.com

WVU/BE Settlement

raf4488

Starter
I thought this was an interesting part of the agreement:
WVU "will use its reasonable best efforts to help Big East members schedule additional football games for the 2012-13 season." Specifically, WVU will help Pitt and Syracuse schedule a Big 12 opponent provided the two schools make a request by today (Feb. 15). However, if the Big East finds a football member for the 2012 season, that rids WVU of all scheduling matchmaker responsibility.

Why was it included that WVU "specifically" had to help Pitt and SU schedule, when they're leaving the conference in a year anyway? Why not specifically help UConn/Rutgers/USF/etc. schedule, since they're committed long term?
If I had to speculate, I'd say this was included because the BE fears a lawsuit from Pitt/SU, and/or Pitt and SU leaving the league for fall 2012. Otherwise, why single out the 2 schools who would prefer to leave ASAP?

Very interesting and I don't know how to interpret that.

Sent from my DROIDX

Very interesting and I don't know how to interpret that.

Sent from my DROIDX
only thing i can come up with is that the b12/wv in its negotiations with the BE, agreed to find a couple of teams to do the ole...'we will take your place at state u, and go to your place on october whatever', for SU and pitt.

a smart move by the big east?
help us so we dont have a excuse to bolt also screwing everyone

I thought this was an interesting part of the agreement:
WVU "will use its reasonable best efforts to help Big East members schedule additional football games for the 2012-13 season." Specifically, WVU will help Pitt and Syracuse schedule a Big 12 opponent provided the two schools make a request by today (Feb. 15). However, if the Big East finds a football member for the 2012 season, that rids WVU of all scheduling matchmaker responsibility.

Why was it included that WVU "specifically" had to help Pitt and SU schedule, when they're leaving the conference in a year anyway? Why not specifically help UConn/Rutgers/USF/etc. schedule, since they're committed long term?
If I had to speculate, I'd say this was included because the BE fears a lawsuit from Pitt/SU, and/or Pitt and SU leaving the league for fall 2012. Otherwise, why single out the 2 schools who would prefer to leave ASAP?

It seems pretty worthless. "best efforts"... no teeth in that.