X is not the issue Goal is | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

X is not the issue Goal is

Back in my day, a body check was anything goes, as long as you only took two steps doing it, and didn't extend your arms. I have no idea what the rules are now. The SU guy clearly took 3-4 steps and laid into the Bryant player with as much force as he could. He looked a 2008 Troy Polamalu. I don't think it was textbook, but again, I don't know. Whether it was the right call or not, you do NOT make that call in that situation. Unless it is a slash to the head.

I believe the punishment should fit the crime. In that case, the punishment was "game over". The crime in that case was not a "game over" type of crime.

One of these crease violations was absolutely the wrong call. And, it was the one that took away the goal.

Really bad job by the officials last night. Honestly, I thought Bryant was quite slashy as well. Now we get to watch Miles win the Tewaarton one year, and Lyle the next.

It was a perfectly clean hit - the rules for body checking center around distance from the ball and placement of the hands. Since the Bryant player had the ball in his stick number of steps doesn't apply. The SU defender used his shoulder to make contact with the Bryant players chest. The Bryant player wasn't ducking; it wasn't a high hit.

EDIT - the emphasis in the past 2-3 years has been on high hits/helmet to helmet contact (which I agree should be deterred). The problem is that officials are being asked to make a decision (1-3 minute, non-releasable, etc) on a play that happens too quickly. It's similar to the new rule in college football that allows officials to eject a defensive player for targeting. Without the benefit of replay it's asking a lot of an official to make the correct call.

Last edited:
It's very frustrating to watch body checks vanish from the game due to subjective rules and inconsistent officiating. Between the stick technology that allows offensive players to make ridiculous moves (that would've normally resulted in a helicopter 10-15 years ago) and the lack of legal body checking it's not the same game I played and love.

They ought to force everyone to play with a Superlite II (the old ones).

Get off my lawn.

Straight 2" sidewalls and no offset. It will take a while for them to learn how to throw and catch all over again, but it will be worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom