Yahoo: USA Basketball only benefits Duke and Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Yahoo: USA Basketball only benefits Duke and Syracuse

Wow, that is a really nasty article. I agree with Mike Waters saying some of it could have been ghostwritten by Cal! And as for this statement "this tournament was a waste of everyone's time and resources"--he does understand that winning this qualifies us to play in the Olympics in 2016, doesn't he?

I was trying to look this up; does FIBA even run the Olympic tournament? Or would they need to make a compromise with the IOC? I'm sure FIBA would love to make the world cup a bigger event than the Olympics, but that's gonna be tough and will probably take a while. If I'm an NBA player an Olympic gold medal means 100x more to me than a world cup title. (I made up that number, but it's a lot)
IOC runs the Olympic basketball. I agree an Olympic Gold medal matters more, but soccer has made the World Cup the premiere event. If the FIBA followed the model of the FIFA it could make the Basketball World Cup more important.

Basketball arenas will never allow FIBA to generate what soccer stadiums do in revenue, but if the FIBA World Cup paid players handsomely like the FIFA World Cup does then that could incentive players.

The Olympics could be u-23 players like soccer allow 1 overage player per team and that makes FIBA World Cup get some attention around the world. This tournament mattered in the world but in the USA going up against college football and NFL killed ESPN from marketing it heavily. That is why the next World Cup of Basketball will be in 2019 so that is off the cycle of the FIFA World Cup and can be played in July and get more promotion within the USA for a high audience.

I have more of a problem with ESPN being the Kentucky basketball recruiting station

I had the same problem with ESPN talking for 20 years like the sun didn't shine until Duke got up. That's part of why I don't watch much ESPN these days.

Right.
Duke and SU may get some ancillary PR benefit when high school players see K & Boeheim leading the national team.
It certainly doesn't hurt to have your coach positioned as America's best.
But combined they have what?...77 years head coaching experience???!!!
It's not like they're unknowns and struggling for top recruits.
The bottom line is kids will choose a school that's the best fit...not the one that has Team USA coaches.
Perhaps US Basketball should choose some top DIII coach/staff to coach the team. That way he/they would not get a recruiting edge. Of course who is to say how well the team would do. Then if the team did well, the coaches could be accused of only doing it to further their careers!

I think it's a fair article. He's writing from the NBA's angle and his main point is that the World Cup is meaningless within the USA. You need to look no further than the announcing crew that ESPN sent over. Kevin Connors is no Martin Tyler.

The college stuff, mainly the Duke stuff, is what it is. There's no denying it helps the Duke and SU programs, but it's not vindictive or anything. Merely a backhanded jab at Adam Silver and co.

Yes it benefits recruiting, but its not like its some scam K was chosen to run the program and he wanted JB amongst others.

It helps recruiting, but in the world of 1 and done, does it help win championships?

3 of the last 4 National Champions were teams with senior guards who weren't prototypical NBA players who was part of a team that had made a deep run or won a NC.

It will be interesting to see if UCONN repeats with the Boatshow in the Kemba, Siva, Napier role.

I think it's a fair article. He's writing from the NBA's angle and his main point is that the World Cup is meaningless within the USA. You need to look no further than the announcing crew that ESPN sent over. Kevin Connors is no Martin Tyler.

The college stuff, mainly the Duke stuff, is what it is. There's no denying it helps the Duke and SU programs, but it's not vindictive or anything. Merely a backhanded jab at Adam Silver and co.
If the main point is the NBA angle and the World cup is meaningless then why the multiple references no how much Coach K benefits (with a touch on Coach B). He goes so far as saying that the idea that K wants to step-down only to be talked into returning is pure fiction! One would think that the US plays in the world cup ONLY to benefit Coach K and his recruiting and reputation.

It helps recruiting, but in the world of 1 and done, does it help win championships?

3 of the last 4 National Champions were teams with senior guards who weren't prototypical NBA players who was part of a team that had made a deep run or won a NC.

It will be interesting to see if UCONN repeats with the Boatshow in the Kemba, Siva, Napier role.
You were so reasonable until the last sentence.

You were so reasonable until the last sentence.

You might be underestimating the Boat Show. The missing piece for him is shot making. He can get a good look at will.

His defense is better than Napier & Kemba. Similar to Siva.

He is as quick as Kemba and can handle to ball like Napier. He is a great (but not flashy) passer.

Napier was the top guy all year but in the tourney, it was more like 1a & 1b.

He completely buys into what Ollie is coaching. It does feel like a NC type UConn team.

Phil D'Abbraccio ‏@PhilDAbb 8m
Jim Boeheim will speak soon at the Melo Center to talk about USA basketball. I'll have updates.

Boeheim says there are inaccuracies in Adrian Wojnarowski's article that calls for a shake-up of USA basketball.

Boeheim says USA is the only country with the depth to lose 10 best players and still come out on top.

Boeheim says they'll have to wait and see on DaJuan Coleman's progress. Won't have a "definitive positive" answer until December.

Boeheim said Baye Keita is one of the best backup centers he's ever had. Added it's nice to have an experienced center like Christmas back.

Not really. Just said his sophomores will have a bigger role than they did last year. RT @JLong591: Any hint at a starting 5?

BxwQVLCIEAAkhIH.jpg

Last edited:
Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 1m
Jim Boeheim's presser was basically a catch up session since he returned from World Cup.

World Cup, recent @WojYahooNBA article on World Cup, Dajuan Coleman update, his policy on social media among topics at presser

As for DaJuan Coleman, Boeheim said they won't know until November at earliest if he'll be ready to go for season.

I'll have video and some quotes up soon.

Phil D'Abbraccio ‏@PhilDAbb 5m
Boeheim about the Adrian Wojnarowski article: "There were a couple of things that weren’t factually true."

Boeheim: Coach K went to the hospital and Paul George’s parents took the picture. "USA basketball didn’t. Duke didn’t put it out."

Boeheim: “And the other thing is that Duke and Syracuse basketball benefit recruiting-wise from this experience. We haven’t gotten any better players in the last 6, 7, 8 years than we’ve got before. Duke is not getting better players now than they got before."

Boeheim: Coach K coaching Olympic team doesn't hurt recruiting. But adds: "But you’re not out on the road a lot of days that you could be."

Boeheim on Wojnarowski's USA basketball article: "The only negative article, really, that I think I’ve seen. Disappointing."

Boeheim: "I just think the whole article was really — when you look at piece by piece of what was said — it just doesn’t hold up."

Last edited:
well Cal at least they didn't sell out their countries like you did for a recruit! JB said Cal was suppose to coach USA team in Pan American games but Cal had a chance to seal the deal with Townes and he coached the Dominican team.

well Cal at least they didn't sell out their countries like you did for a recruit! JB said Cal was suppose to coach USA team in Pan American games but Cal had a chance to seal the deal with Townes and he coached the Dominican team.
Wait, Cal spent 2 summers coaching the Dominican team for one recruit? I thought he had World Wide Wes just pay recruits

You know what's great about the media talking up this idiotic story? It helps. Thanks Yahoo, please give us the attention we deserve. I'll bet anything this helps us in a positive way, that it's on some recruits minds, JB coaching team USA. I don't deny that the attention gives us some help. Thanks again!

If my search function is working properly, "Syracuse" appears once in the article, and "Boeheim" also once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom