Yankees in the midst of an epic choke job. | Syracusefan.com

Yankees in the midst of an epic choke job.

Flacusian

All Conference
They have now played their way out of first place. 9 runs total in the last 7 games. Two weeks ago they were tearing the cover off the ball and now it's looking like it was all a mirage and they have returned to form as the team that just can't score runs.

It's really been a team effort... this precipitous falling out of 1st place. Outside of Gregorious and Beltran these guys can't get on base and when they do there is nobody to drive them in. Really depressing to watch this team right now. They are looking whipped.

I was surprised they didn't do more at the trade deadline. I understand that they didn't want to give up top prospects for 'rentals'. But, in a year where they were squeezing unexpected life out of Rodriguez and Tex, they sat back and let the Jays eclipse them in personnel and, now, in the standings.

It's a long season, though, and baseball is a game of streaks.

It's called a slump. The hitting is in a slump.

The pitching has been pretty good of late overall.

I don't buy the Blue Jays a bunch of mercenaries.

Anyone who has watched a lot of baseball knows not to overreact to the peaks and valleys of a season. These two teams are pretty evenly matched. The Blue Jays had an edge offensively even before acquiring Tulowitzki. I believe the Yankees still have superior pitching even without Pineda. Yankee pitching has been mostly excellent during this skid. Sabathia is starting to look 35 instead of 45. How many times have we seen good pitching neutralize great hitting lineups? Think about almost every Yankee and Tiger team in the 2000s.

I do find it amusing that many fans and media members have embraced the Blue Jays for being all of the things that they used to hate about the Yankees. I am glad that Yankee haters have a reason to watch baseball again. In my opinion, too many Americans are missing out on a fantastic sport. It is going to be a fun and exciting race for the AL East. I have not ruled out the Orioles and Rays either.

The time of the Yankees is over

The time of the bluejays has come.

... Every quote i put on this forum is either from Billy Madison, Lord of The Rings or Game of Thrones.

Some great races going on. Mets, Cubs, Pirates. Will be difficult to keep the Giants out of the playoffs. Cards and Royals are much much better than the rest and they are on a collision course for the Series, but hot pitching and cold bats can change everything in a series.

The jays had the best team in the division before they added those guys. Using baseball analytic's, they should have been as many as 19 games over .500. They have the worst manager around. The guys seems half asleep half the time. Gibbons is the yanks best hope for the division.

Greg Bird will make his MLB debut tonight, batting 7th and playing first, as Teixeira sits.

Because the Yankees have never bought players...

Because the Yankees have never bought players...
The Yankess have only ever been good when they could by players. Pre draft era, they dominated. When there was the draft, and the reserve clause, they sucked. After the end of the reserve clause, to date, they have been outstanding.

Last edited:
The Yankees are an old team, with very little starting pitching, it was eventually going to catch up with them.

The Yankees are an old team, with very little starting pitching, it was eventually going to catch up with them.

Yet the pitching staff is holding teams to only 1 or 2 runs a game.

The bats have disappeared.

In what stat?

Era, Sabathia has been terrible, Evoldi has a good record, but his era is above 4, he gets a ton of run support. Tanaka has been very mediocre this year. Pineda was ok until he got hurt, thats not a very good rotation.

Era, Sabathia has been terrible, Evoldi has a good record, but his era is above 4, he gets a ton of run support. Tanaka has been very mediocre this year. Pineda was ok until he got hurt, thats not a very good rotation.
ERA is for old people and a ridiculous stat for comparing teams due to different home ballparks.

Yankee starting pitchers are (AL numbers)

6th in WAR
6th in FIP
2nd in xFIP

ERA is for old people and a ridiculous stat for comparing teams due to different home ballparks.

Yankee starting pitchers are (AL numbers)

6th in WAR
6th in FIP
2nd in xFIP

Era is the most accurate pitching measurement tool. You have to build your team for your ballpark, that is part of baseball.

Era is the most accurate pitching measurement tool. You have to build your team for your ballpark, that is part of baseball.
if you reject modern statistical analysis, then there is no point in us having a discussion.

if you reject modern statistical analysis, then there is no point in us having a discussion.

I'm not rejecting them, but I am not sure why you are devaluing era. Look at other teams who are either going to be in the playoffs, or are in the hunt for the playoffs, where would you put the Yankees Rotation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom