Yankuba Sima to transfer from St. John’s | Syracusefan.com

Yankuba Sima to transfer from St. John’s

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Sima started 26 of the 34 games he played with the Johnnies, including eight starts this season. He was averaging 6.0 points and 3.5 boards this year.

A friend of mine who is deeply involved in St J basketball just sent me this when i asked about Sima:

"Yankuba Sima is an enigma. What happened? Good question.
My son, who is no basketball guru, watched Sima play for a half in the Bahamas and declared "number 35 is trash."

[My wife] went to a game last year and said it looked like Sima was playing with cement shoes on.

The 6-11 Sima averaged 7.3 ppg, 5.7 rebounds and 2.4 blocks last season, the potential for improvement seemed bright. However, this season he looked lethargic. He had only 5 blocks in 10 games. Rebounds and passes eluded his grasp. Mullin kept stating the game trying to establish him in post and it was a waste of time. The results were a series of turnovers, offensive fouls and awkward misses. Really, it is like the kid is suffering from some illness now compared to last season. Hope it is not that.

In the end, Sima's game didn't fit the uptempo style Mullin wants to play. Other than opening tip, even Amar Alibegovic, who went for 15 and 9 against Syracuse last season (sorry), is a better option at center than Sima. AA can rebound, catch the ball, shoot from anywhere on the court and do the Euro-step.

St John's has a couple of stud transfers (Marvin Clark, Jr, Michigan State; and Justin Simin, Arizona) sitting out this season and they signed Zach Brown, a 7-2 center with one-and-done potential, so some kids were going to lose playing time next season. Sima's minutes were already reduced this season. I suspect one or two other kids may leave as Johnnies upgrade talent level.

Player to watch at the Carrier Dome
Freshman guard Shamorie Ponds has been a revelation:
17.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, .496 FG%, .880 FT%, .443 3P%, 3.5-1.8 Assists to turnovers. Little dude has been a revelations.
Very young team. Only has 2-1/2 players (Ponds, LoVett and Ahmed. LoVett is a dynamo.) The team is getting better. This season they will take their lumps. I predicted 13 wins prior to the season start. Might have been overly optimistic but I am that kind of guy!"

Is he wearing makeup??

Jeebus I think you're right. There are some issues going on there to say the least. Looks like he'll be making lots of friends at Rikers with that get up.

dam too bad ucon didn't get him like they so desperately wanted

Is he wearing makeup??
Screen_Shot_2013-06-07_at_12.33.20_PM.png

Should we be interested? I didn't see the St. John's game this year so I've never seen the kid play... But we're only going to have one center on scholarship going forward, and don't have one in this class yet either... He was a 3-star recruit and also got offers from Louisville, Maryland and Baylor. Might be worth getting him into the fold for 18-19?

Should we be interested? I didn't see the St. John's game this year so I've never seen the kid play... But we're only going to have one center on scholarship going forward, and don't have one in this class yet either... He was a 3-star recruit and also got offers from Louisville, Maryland and Baylor. Might be worth getting him into the fold for 18-19?

Ask Coach Q.

Failed at BB
Failed at armed robbery
Bad choice in eye shadow

No thanks

Ask Coach Q.

Failed at BB
Failed at armed robbery
Bad choice in eye shadow

No thanks

Pretty sure you guys are mixed up. Yankuba Sima is transferring and plays center. Zach Brown was arrested wearing makeup and released from his letter of intent.

I was talking about Sima.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom