Yeah I'm gonna say it | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Yeah I'm gonna say it

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "I'm a better fan than you" schtick grates me more than any thing else on this site. And I post on the OT board regularly.

bpin058.jpg

So let me get this straight. We play 2 excellent games in a row and we're all of a sudden, some sort of great team and no one should question that? But when we play 3 absolute stinkers in a 5 game stretch that includes perennial powers Cornell and Eastern Michigan, we're just suppose to disregard those results. That makes no sense on any level.

I believe this team is getting better and the shrinking rotation seems to be the right one. But we are 10-6 and have a long way to go to sniff the NCAA tourney. Lets continue to take it 1 game at a time and not go making any proclamations. People had and still have a real right to be concerned about this team.

This is how I am digesting things. We have a LONG way to go and need a TON of good wins to undo the non-conf disaster as well as @ BC. These were two really good wins. I hope the team can build and keep gaining momentum from these. I'm a little worried about depth but I doubt JB truly is since he rode 6 guys to the Final 4 last year. The more Battle improves and can probe the D the better for everyone. OK, offensively who is better: Gillon/Battle/White/Lydon or Gbinjie/Cooney/Mali/Lydon?

This is how I am digesting things. We have a LONG way to go and need a TON of good wins to undo the non-conf disaster as well as @ BC. These were two really good wins. I hope the team can build and keep gaining momentum from these. I'm a little worried about depth but I doubt JB truly is since he rode 6 guys to the Final 4 last year. The more Battle improves and can probe the D the better for everyone. OK, offensively who is better: Gillon/Battle/White/Lydon or Gbinjie/Cooney/Mali/Lydon?

Good post. As for your question, you've kind of semi-answered it in that it depends what games your're looking at. I'll be safe and say I'd like to see a larger sample size, as Lydon's facial hair continues to fill in.

Oh boy we are doing "I told you so's" after 2 home wins vs Unranked mid pack
Acc teams? Dosent how excited we are after 80 mins of solid basketball against good but not great teams only reinforce the point of how bad it was beforehand? Preseason these were games we would have expected to win. Now they spur your "I told you so" thread. Kind of speaks for itself that things were bad enough to warrant any concern. The same people that would have said any doom and gloom was overreaction before can't now be saying "told you so" after 2 games. Cat have it both ways. No one can possibly know exactly what we have here in this team. But so far the peak is Convincing wins vs good but not great teams at home, and the floor is 30+ point blowouts at home vs teams who probably don't make the NIT.

Sorry I don't mean to be that guy. Loved these last 2 games. Reason for hope. But chill wwith th the chest pumping I told you so's. going by to take a lot more to even be in the tourney convo. 6 loss team with 4 losses to non tourney teams 2 of which were blowouts. 0 top 25 wins. Long long way to go. But sure I'll buy that it appears it will be an interesting ride, where as a week ago I would have not thought so.

Oh boy we are doing "I told you so's" after 2 home wins vs Unranked mid pack
Acc teams? Dosent how excited we are after 80 mins of solid basketball against good but not great teams only reinforce the point of how bad it was beforehand? Preseason these were games we would have expected to win. Now they spur your "I told you so" thread. Kind of speaks for itself that things were bad enough to warrant any concern. The same people that would have said any doom and gloom was overreaction before can't now be saying "told you so" after 2 games. Cat have it both ways. No one can possibly know exactly what we have here in this team. But so far the peak is Convincing wins vs good but not great teams at home, and the floor is 30+ point blowouts at home vs teams who probably don't make the NIT.

Sorry I don't mean to be that guy. Loved these last 2 games. Reason for hope. But chill wwith th the chest pumping I told you so's. going by to take a lot more to even be in the tourney convo. 6 loss team with 4 losses to non tourney teams 2 of which were blowouts. 0 top 25 wins. Long long way to go. But sure I'll buy that it appears it will be an interesting ride, where as a week ago I would have not thought so.
No one is saying this is a tournament team yet, but there were a fair number of fans who had jumped ship and even some who were seriously predicting this team would run the table in reverse in ACC play this season (and even next).

Miami and Pitt are solid basketball teams, and SU thoroughly dominated them when the outcome of those games was in doubt, and looked good doing so on both ends of the court. If anyone wants to say "I told you so" after hanging in there, they're entitled, IMO.

What have we learned lately?
The sky is not falling and we can play with anyone left on our schedule. Does that mean we will; no it does provide a guarantee of anything.
We have seen a significant upgrade in our effort and understanding of playing our Offense and Defense. None of us really know all that is ongoing, behind the scenes with coaching, player development and recruiting.
Despite a level of disparagement of our coaches, recruiting and schemes IMO Let's chill some and enjoy the remainder of the season without
Chicken-little--48884.gif

No one is saying this is a tournament team yet, but there were a fair number of fans who had jumped ship and even some who were seriously predicting this team would run the table in reverse in ACC play this season (and even next).

Miami and Pitt are solid basketball teams, and SU thoroughly dominated them when the outcome of those games was in doubt, and looked good doing so on both ends of the court. If anyone wants to say "I told you so" after hanging in there, they're entitled, IMO.

As bad as we were playing, anything appeared to be in play for this season, in my opinion. But yeah, that post that basically said we're going 0 for our next 36 in the ACC was something else.

I have become very fond of this song last year, and it has NOTHING to do with SU basketball or football for that matter. But a lot to do with numerous hospital admissions and assorted crapola that made 2016 "Mi vida es una telenovela" (The English doesn't work because American soap operas are very different from telenovelas.)

2017 is already looking better, though my monetary woes continue.

I always thought she was a hottie:)

Last edited:

Well I suppose if what "they told us" is that the team wouldnt be O-fer the entire acc season then sure they sure they are entitled to whatever lol. Bold call lol

This is one of the best memories of my time on campus.
Husker Du at the Jab
The JAB!!! I was too old to see Husker Du there but I nearly fainted at David Johannsen show cause it was packed and we were dancing and whatnot.

Were the Flashcubes still around then? And the band that Paul, formerly of the Flashcubes formed with the female singer and they sang a song with the line "I wish I could go back in time Be on Hullabaloo"? Any other cool local bands?

The JAB!!! I was too old to see Husker Du there but I nearly fainted at David Johannsen show cause it was packed and we were dancing and whatnot.

Were the Flashcubes still around then? And the band that Paul, formerly of the Flashcubes formed with the female singer and they sang a song with the line "I wish I could go back in time Be on Hullabaloo"? Any other cool local bands?
The Flashcubes were pretty much done by 1980. Paul was part of 1.4.5 after that. They eventually moved to Boston. Not sure about the singer and song you're referring to. Maybe between the Flashcubes and 1.4.5? Masters of Reality were huge back then. B-Solution was good. There were a couple of dog bands. The Dogs Outside and Dog Talk. Those were all student bands except MOR. Chris from MOR is in LA now and is a very successful producer.

The Flashcubes were pretty much done by 1980. Paul was part of 1.4.5 after that. They eventually moved to Boston. Not sure about the singer and song you're referring to. Maybe between the Flashcubes and 1.4.5? Masters of Reality were huge back then. B-Solution was good. There were a couple of dog bands. The Dogs Outside and Dog Talk. Those were all student bands except MOR. Chris from MOR is in LA now and is a very successful producer.
I think it's.4.5 I'm thinking about then. With the female singer, looked a little like Lulu in To Sir With Love

I think it's.4.5 I'm thinking about then. With the female singer, looked a little like Lulu in To Sir With Love
I knew there was never a woman in 1.4.5, so I did a little research this morning. I found this post from Carl Carfarelli, who is still in CNY and co-hosts a radio show Sunday nights. Here are the highlights you're looking for:

Paul was fired from the Flashcubes in July of 1979. The roots of his dismissal from the group lay in their musical differences, the very dichotomy that had once seemed to be the Flashcubes' strength. The split was hastened by Michael Browning, whose management firm handled hard rockers AC/DC. Browning was interested in taking the Flashcubes on as clients, but he insisted that they do things his way. His way would include a general taming-down of Paul's high-energy on-stage antics, or a removal of Paul entirely. Bye-bye, Paulie.

Paul's replacement was Mick Walker, a local veteran, then playing with Joe Whiting and the Bandit Band.

Within a day of leaving the 'Cubes, Paul formed the Most, a new group fronted by Paul's girlfriend, Dian Zain. Now, Paul had his aggressive rock group, and Gary, Arty and Tommy had their energetic pop quartet. Everyone should have been happy, right?

I knew there was never a woman in 1.4.5, so I did a little research this morning. I found this post from Carl Carfarelli, who is still in CNY and co-hosts a radio show Sunday nights. Here are the highlights you're looking for:

Paul was fired from the Flashcubes in July of 1979. The roots of his dismissal from the group lay in their musical differences, the very dichotomy that had once seemed to be the Flashcubes' strength. The split was hastened by Michael Browning, whose management firm handled hard rockers AC/DC. Browning was interested in taking the Flashcubes on as clients, but he insisted that they do things his way. His way would include a general taming-down of Paul's high-energy on-stage antics, or a removal of Paul entirely. Bye-bye, Paulie.

Paul's replacement was Mick Walker, a local veteran, then playing with Joe Whiting and the Bandit Band.

Within a day of leaving the 'Cubes, Paul formed the Most, a new group fronted by Paul's girlfriend, Dian Zain. Now, Paul had his aggressive rock group, and Gary, Arty and Tommy had their energetic pop quartet. Everyone should have been happy, right?
Thank you SO MUCH FOR THAT!!!!

She was just adorable and there was one gig I saw of theirs where some guy started harassing me and Paul put an end to it very fast.

We didn't speak but once when I interviewed them I think for an article that never got published but I was a regular at the Flashcubes shows so I'm sure he knew me by sight.

I was grateful.

If you can maybe link the whole post I'd ever happier. Thanks

Thanks, great read. I was fortunate enough to be at SU during the Flashcubes era and saw them many times. They were the real deal. Fortunately, many of their recordings can be found on YouTube, and are well worth checking out, whether you were there at the time or are just wondering what they were all about.

We didn't speak but once when I interviewed them I think for an article that never got published but I was a regular at the Flashcubes shows so I'm sure he knew me by sight.
My funny Paul story is that we really didn't know each other, but he knew who I was and didn't much care for me. He had gone out with my girlfriend before we met and still liked her quite a bit. He even tried to pick a fight with me one night at one of those giant parties the architecture club used to have in Oakwood Cemetery. This was in 1985 or 86. That girlfriend has been my wife for 28 years, and Paul still occasionally posts to her FaceBook page that he still thinks about her all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom